News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean Leary

Rule Changes from the R&A and USGA
« on: October 24, 2011, 12:30:27 PM »
http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/7143278/royal-ancient-golf-club-no-penalty-ball-moves-address

Interesting to say the least, especially the date limitation. Perhaps it is a trial period? Has that happened before?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 12:36:40 PM by Sean Leary »

Dale Jackson

Re: Rule Changes from the R&A and USGA
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 12:51:37 PM »
Sean, do you mean the time period of the new code, which runs January 1, 2012 - December 31, 2015?  That is how all rule changes are made, the Joint Rules Committee (3 R&A, 3 USGA and 1 RCGA rep.) issues a new rules code every 4 years.  It has worked that way since 1952.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Sean Leary

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 01:21:26 PM »
Sean, do you mean the time period of the new code, which runs January 1, 2012 - December 31, 2015?  That is how all rule changes are made, the Joint Rules Committee (3 R&A, 3 USGA and 1 RCGA rep.) issues a new rules code every 4 years.  It has worked that way since 1952.

Yes, I didn't realize that.

What are your thoughts on it? Surprised?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 01:28:57 PM »
Here is a link to the USGA Rules page with all the changes effective 1/1/12.
http://www.usga.org/rules/2012-Rules-of-Golf/

2012 Rules of Golf

USGA, R&A Announce New Rules Of Golf For 2012
Principal Changes To The Rules Of Golf
Complete Listing Of New, Revised, Renumbered And Withdrawn Decisions
New Decisions
Revised Decisions
Renumbered Decisions
Decisions Containing Minor Revisions
Complete Rules Of Amateur Status
Principal Changes To The Rules Of Amateur Status

Dale Jackson

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 02:14:30 PM »

What are your thoughts on it? Surprised?

No real surprises, the changes are welcome for the most part.  Like most new rules codes, most changes do not affect the average player in a casual round.  Maybe the one change that everyone should know is that a bunker can be raked before playing a shot as long as nothing is done to improve the lie of the ball or area of intended stance. 

A ball that moves after it has been addressed is no longer subject to an automatic penalty - think Padraign Harrington at the Masters a few years ago, or McIlroy at the Open this year.  If it is "known or virtually certain" the player did not cause the ball to move after addressing the ball, the player is not penalized.  Known or virtually certain has a precise and strict meaning in the rules and it is a stern test. 
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Travis Dewire

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 04:33:29 PM »
Like the rule with carring for the course. Ernie Els was cost 2 strokes when he raked the foot prints he made getting the rake from the middle of the trap - the ball was no where near the rake, and he was not testing the surface. Good rule change.

Don't like the ball moving change. Part of the game, that seperates the men from the boys. Padraig whinning about his ball moving, same with Simpson - thats how I played my whole life how about you? Adds to the challenge, IMO. I can recall countless times ive had to putt without grounding the club at adress for fear of the ball moving. Adapt to the situation, and play golf, boys!

Travis Dewire

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 04:34:51 PM »

I would guess that the ground movement and/or change in blade direction due to sun/shadow exposure are a result of the golfer, not the elements, so the golfer does move the ball. You walked up to the ball, you adressed it, but you didn't cause it to move??? Likely story....

David Royer

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 04:43:36 PM »
I thought the most unique was the listening device issue.  You can not listen for extended period as it might provde tempo but you are allowed  to use the bellly putter (stability).  The raking rule makes a lot of sense.  No matter.  Just more to review this winter.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 07:31:19 PM »
Travis, you can agree with the change to 18-2 or not, but to portray Padraig Harrington's reaction to the penalty assessed to him at the Masters (if that is what you were referring to) as "whinning" (sp) is, IMO, a grave mis-characterization of his statements and actions.  In the presence over overwhelming evidence he had nothing to do with the ball moving - he was perhaps 40 feet from the ball at the time - Harrington was gracious in accepting the penalty.  He made his views on the rule known but I did not see anything that was close to  whining.  Harrington is the face of the Rules of Golf for the R&A and is by all accounts a pleasure to work with  in that regard.

Travis Dewire

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 10:33:24 PM »
Okay,

so how does the rule apply to Harrington? He removed his marker and the ball moved, then addressed the ball, then executed the stroke. He would still be penalized under the rule change. The rule change is specific to a ball rotating, AFTER address. Just as before, if Paddy had noticed that his ball had not returned to where it original lay, the group would establish where the original spot was, he would replace, remark, and start his routine over again. No penalty

Secondly, never did I comment on Paddy at the Masters. Here is a quote from him regarding the rule

"Every time the wind blows, I am worried that my ball is going to move and I am worried about grounding my putter, distracting me from trying to hole my putt," Really Dale? Those are his words! He grew up playing like that, by all accounts he should have the most mental strength out of anyone to battle the elements, settle himself, and hit the shot. Not be distracted by the slight change in set up of, not grounding your club. I mean really!!! All you have to do is not ground the club, and the ball can more a million yards, and there is no penalty. Battling the elements is golf, and this total underhands the mental essence required to play the REAL game.

Play the ball as it lies, and if you cause it to move, ANYWHERE, that will be a stroke. Again, there are rules that have been added to protect a player, through no fault of his own, such as when a player REPLACES his ball on the green, the ball moves while the player is walking around the hole, he is allowed to replace to the original resting spot, no penalty. However, (and in the case of paddy) if the player MISTAKENLY, plays his stroke with out returning the ball to its original spot, than a penalty will ensue. Exactly what happened to Paddy, he didn't know the ball had moved, played his shot, someone called in. Again, I wasn't even referring to that. It was unlucky that no one in the group saw it move, because as rub of the green goes, no penalty would have been assessed and there would have been no penalty strokes needed. No fault of anyone's. Paddy should be more upset that they allow viewers to call in like they do, not at the rule.

And again, I wasn't even talking about the Masters. I was referring to the quote. And I will spell every word wrong if I need to be as long as I am expressed as I see fit. And my expression is that this rule is classic! The game is too hard, so lets make it a little easier for everyone!!!!

LOL!!!!!!! DONT GROUND YOUR PUTTER IN THE WIND....DUH!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 10:51:58 PM »
With green speeds off the charts, this trial balloon of a rue change is not bad. If however, they mess with the belly putter, they will forever lose my respect as guardians of the sport I know. Anchoring the club to your hands is the same as the belly, a part of the body. The reason they will lose respect is because this whole hullaballoo about the belly putter is media driven.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jason Topp

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 11:02:55 PM »
The change is probably necessary if we are going to continue to have quick greens and wind.  I cannot imagine a situation, however, where one could know or be virtually certain that the player did not cause the ball to move.  I would rather have a rule requiring it be replaced without penalty in all situations where an addressed ball moves on the green. 

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 12:33:59 AM »
Don't like the ball moving change. Part of the game, that seperates the men from the boys. Padraig whinning about his ball moving, same with Simpson - thats how I played my whole life how about you? Adds to the challenge, IMO. I can recall countless times ive had to putt without grounding the club at adress for fear of the ball moving. Adapt to the situation, and play golf, boys!

???

What separates the men from the boys is the play of their shots, not a silly rule.

Glad to see it gone! Wish they would have simplified even more rules.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 12:59:00 AM »
I am in favor of most of the rule changes.  The rule change I don't understand and isn't mentioned in the ESPN article here is the change that allows amateur golfers to obtain agents provided they are 18.  Isn't an agents purpose to make you money through your ability to play golf?  Maybe someone can explain why this rule needed to be created.

Travis Dewire

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 02:43:14 AM »

???

What separates the men from the boys is the play of their shots, not a silly rule.

Glad to see it gone! Wish they would have simplified even more rules.

what about skill?????? being able to battle one's wits and overcome the hurdle!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back