News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Franklin

Whistler, British Columbia
« on: October 20, 2011, 08:35:40 AM »
What is the best golf in the area? Is Banff near there? I am headed out there next summer. Never too early to start planning a golf trip.
Mr Hurricane

Tim Bert

Re: Whistler, British Columbia
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 09:41:55 AM »
Banff is a long way from Whistler.  We took a day and a half train ride from Vancouver to Banff.  I think you are looking at a long drive or a flight to Calgary if you want to get to Banff from that area.  Banff is a great course but I wouldn't try to hitch it to a trip to that area.  I have only played golf once in the Vancouver area so the only further advice I can offer is don't believe the ad in the yellow pages that suggests Furry Creek is the Pebble Beach of Canada.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 09:51:24 AM »
I am in Vancouver for 4 days and then Whistler for another 4. I hope there is something decent somewhere close.
Mr Hurricane

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 09:58:06 AM »
Jim,

The golf in Vancouver is quite good, the golf in Whistler isn't.

In Vancouver: Capilano, Shaugnessy (sp?)....a big drop-off, then Marine Drive, then Westwood Plateau.

Possible side-trip from Vancouver to Victoria to play Royal Colwood and Victoria GC (both very good).

In Whistler: Chateau Whistler, Nicklaus North, Big Sky, Furry Creek - maybe in that order, though I have to say I didn't overly enjoy any of them.  Great views though.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 10:00:57 AM »
Thanks Mark. We are staying at the Four Seasons. Is there a course there?
Mr Hurricane

Sean Leary

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 10:22:27 AM »
Jim,

A lot of good golf in Vancouver, and it isn't bad in Whistler, but not great.  I will contact you offline.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 10:26:39 AM »
Avoid Furry Creek at all costs.   I am not kidding.    :o :o

Capilano is accessible if your GM calls their GM.   Mine told their guy that I was the golf committee chair and they charged me the member's guest rate voluntarily.   Very nice folks and an unforgettable golf experience.   
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 10:29:03 AM by Bill_McBride »

Jim Franklin

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
Thanks guys for the updates.
Mr Hurricane

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 10:56:54 AM »
How far is Sagebrush from Whistler?  Got to be a lot closer than Banff which is quite far off.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 11:20:24 AM »
Jim, to build on what others have said.  Do avoid Furry Creek.  You will drive right by it on the way to Whistler and see one par 3 (14?) that looks like one of the most beautiful holes in the world, which it is.  Do not be fooled. 

Mark gave his preferences as Chateau Whistler, Nicklaus North, Big Sky, Furry Creek in that order, to which I must respectively disagree.  My choices would be Big Sky (which I think is a very good course), Nicklaus North, Whistler Golf Club (a Palmer design and the original course at Whistler) and then the Chateau Whistler course.  The CW course is a RTJ jr course that I am also not fond of, although it is probably the most visually appealing of the courses.

Vancouver has Capilano, Shaughnessy, then Marine Drive (which has an incredible heritage of great golfers) and Vancouver Golf Club (second oldest course in the area, although not actually in Vancouver but about a 45 minute drive from downtown in a suburb named Coquitlam).

Sagebrush is about 2 hours east of Vancouver and is by far the most architecturally interesting of all the courses in the area.  It is quite private but we do have 2 or 3 GCA folks who are members there. 

And, also as mentioned, a side trip to Victoria (1.5 hour ferry from Vancouver) will give you Victoria GC and Royal Colwood.  My profile of Royal Colwood can be found here - http://www.golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/royal-colwood/
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Will MacEwen

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 12:02:40 PM »
I would agree with Dale's rankings, although I might put Whistler ahead of Nicklaus North.

I've spent lots of time in Whistler, including several golf trips.  Feel free to contact me.

Sean Leary

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 01:16:57 PM »
I would agree with Dale's rankings, although I might put Whistler ahead of Nicklaus North.

I might too. Its pretty good..

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 03:13:07 PM »
I didn't recommend Sagebrush the first go-around because I thought it was a 5ish hour drive from Vancouver.  If it's only 2.5 hours, based on everything I've heard/read, it is an absolute no-brainer to make that a priority.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 04:40:45 PM »
I didn't recommend Sagebrush the first go-around because I thought it was a 5ish hour drive from Vancouver.  If it's only 2.5 hours, based on everything I've heard/read, it is an absolute no-brainer to make that a priority.

Google maps puts it at 3.5 hrs.  So its not as close as I initially thought....that would be quite the detour.

Sean Leary

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 05:19:52 PM »

Google maps puts it at 3.5 hrs.  So its not as close as I initially thought....that would be quite the detour.

Its a good 3 hours anyway. I have only driven there from The Jenkins Mansion in White Rock, but it  is a pretty good hike regardless.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 05:40:31 PM »
Yes my original 2 hour time estimate to Sagebrush was grossly optimistic.  So much of the technology that appeared on Star Trek has come to pass in our real lives.  Why can we not invent a transporter.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 06:11:08 PM »
Yes my original 2 hour time estimate to Sagebrush was grossly optimistic.  So much of the technology that appeared on Star Trek has come to pass in our real lives.  Why can we not invent a transporter.
It is 2 hours from the border crossing at Sumas to Merritt, and that is at the speed limit in gassaving mode on the uphills out of Hope and watching the rear view mirrors. Could probably save 20 minutes and still blend in.

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 07:15:24 PM »
The drive to Sagebrush is worth it no matter what the duration. In my opinion it's the best golf experience in Canada.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 08:42:10 AM »
I certainly do not mind a long drive so Sagebrush may be in order. Any help would be greatly appreciated. As for the other recommendations, I thank all of you on your input.
Mr Hurricane

Jim Franklin

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 09:20:46 AM »
I will be in Vancouver July 31-August 4 and then Whistler August 4-8. Is it better to drive to Sagebrush from Vancouver or Whistler?
Mr Hurricane

Will MacEwen

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 09:28:13 AM »
Definitely Vancouver, but there is a northern way from Whistler that would be quite spectacular, and about 4.5 hours. 

Jim Franklin

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 10:00:56 AM »
I will have my family with me so the shorter the better. Vancouver it is.
Mr Hurricane

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 03:25:33 PM »

Jim,

I live in the Vancouver area and would be most pleased to get together next summer.

I have played at Sagebrush for the last two years and absolutely love the place, as does everyone else I have played with up there. It is a wonderful experience. From downtown Vancouver, you are looking at about 3.5 hours. From my house in White Rock, it is about 2.5 hours plus a bit, depending on who is driving.

Regarding Whistler, from downtown you can be there in about 1.5 hours or a bit more if traffic is bad. I prefer the original Whistler Golf Club over Nicklaus North and the Chateau course. Cheaper too. It is fairly flat and runs along the valley between the mountains. An easy walk and still pictureque.  Undulating typical Palmer/Seay greens, good variety of holes. Fairly wide open. Furry Creek is on the way to Whistler from Vancouver and I agree with Dale and the others that you do not want to play it. Far too goofy. I could never understand why Sean Leary liked it so much, but that's Sean for ya!

Dale is correct in that Big Sky in Pemberton (about 25 minutes beyond Whistler) is very good. A Tom McBroom design.

Feel free to contact me re Vancouver golf as well. I will add that Point Grey is a better course than Marine, although some say I am biased. For private courses in Vancouver, the ranking is Capilano, Shaughnessy, Vancouver GC, Point Grey, Marine Drive, Seymour in North Van (semi-private, open to public only Mondays and Fridays).

Sean Leary

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2011, 04:57:08 PM »

Jim,

I live in the Vancouver area and would be most pleased to get together next summer.

I have played at Sagebrush for the last two years and absolutely love the place, as does everyone else I have played with up there. It is a wonderful experience. From downtown Vancouver, you are looking at about 3.5 hours. From my house in White Rock, it is about 2.5 hours plus a bit, depending on who is driving.

Regarding Whistler, from downtown you can be there in about 1.5 hours or a bit more if traffic is bad. I prefer the original Whistler Golf Club over Nicklaus North and the Chateau course. Cheaper too. It is fairly flat and runs along the valley between the mountains. An easy walk and still pictureque.  Undulating typical Palmer/Seay greens, good variety of holes. Fairly wide open. Furry Creek is on the way to Whistler from Vancouver and I agree with Dale and the others that you do not want to play it. Far too goofy. I could never understand why Sean Leary liked it so much, but that's Sean for ya!

Dale is correct in that Big Sky in Pemberton (about 25 minutes beyond Whistler) is very good. A Tom McBroom design.

Feel free to contact me re Vancouver golf as well. I will add that Point Grey is a better course than Marine, although some say I am biased. For private courses in Vancouver, the ranking is Capilano, Shaughnessy, Vancouver GC, Point Grey, Marine Drive, Seymour in North Van (semi-private, open to public only Mondays and Fridays).

Don't even mention my name with Furry Creek, old man.

Its Bill McBride who loves it, not me, by the way.... ;)

As for Sagebrush, you will not find a better host than Bob Jenkins. Although he keeps saying its a 2.5 hour drive that we driven together 3 times, never in less than 3 hours, but he is a lawyer, what do you expect.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 07:22:21 PM by Sean Leary »

Will MacEwen

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 04:57:28 PM »
Big Sky is a Cupp design, makes for a great 36 hole day.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back