News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Hilko

I just got back from a trip from the west coast. We started in San Fran and played MPCC(Shores), Cal Club, Pasatiempo, and then went up to Bandon. I was taking the trip with my friend and my dad. We played Cal club after we landed. Then I drove down to Seaside for a night of rest. That would be my last chance to rest for the next 48 hours. We knocked out mpcc and then drove up to Pasa. From there we fought traffic through San Fran and drove all the way to Bandon. I drove all 11 hours. Thank God for red bull and the bears being on the radio for a few hours of the trip. My two trip partners were Bandon virgins so I wanted them to sleep so they could enjoy it. Plus I love Bandon so much I doubt I could of slept on that drive anyway. We arrived at our hotel at 5 in the mourning. I had a couple of beers and a shower to help mellow me out and we were teeing it up at Bandon by 8. Thank god those courses are that good. That is defiantly a 48 stretch I will never forget. What a trip. Now I would like to hear some other war stories from the treehouse.

Few other highlights from the trip-
Hitting a shot to 5 feet on number 16 at Pasa and watching it roll 20 yards backwards to the front of the green while my dad laughed the whole time. Also winning a putting bet on that green with 2 putts.

Cal Club- All I can say is WOW! It defiantly lives up to the recent hype.

Laying up with a putter from the fairway on number 6 at Pacific Dunes and then getting up and down for par. Note to self, you know not to hit it left. Why do I keep hitting it there?

Making 6 birdies on Trails and having a rainbow over us as we are coming up 18 for our final round. Bandon always delivers! What a trip.

Down with the brown

Ronald Montesano

Re: Craziest thing you have done to fit in as many courses on a trip
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 07:23:17 AM »
"We arrived at our hotel at 5 in the mourning."

One of my favorite accidental misspellings...always enjoyed mourning the morning.

Michigan a few years back...stayed in a different hotel every night but one...played 10 courses from SAturday-Thursday.

In fact, nearly every trip we take is madness...we actually toned it down this Summer on the Bethpage junket and only played the five Bethpage courses, Paramount, Tall Grass and Links at Union Vale...8 courses is nothing...there was one day at Bethpage where we only played 18.

Crazy is relative to age...when you are young, full of energy and absent of experience (been there, done that type), you go f-ing crazy, then hopefully live long enough to recall it.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

don_bartlett

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 08:33:41 AM »
This past August I took a solo trip...
Tuesday morning: drove from Toronto to Detroit, played Oakland Hills South in the afternoon, drove to Chicago Tuesday evening.
Wed am: played Butler National, then over to Rich Harvest Farms in the afternoon, then drove to Kohler Wed evening. 
Thursday am:  Played the Straights Course, then over to Blackwolf Run (River) in the afternoon.  Drove to Muskegeon Thursday afternoon/evening, and took the ferry over to Michigan. 
Friday am: played Arcadia Bluffs, then up a little further north to play Grand Traverese Bear Friday afternoon.
Friday evening drove from Northern Michigan, back to Toronto...  Very tiring trip as I think I slept most of the drive home ;), but was very worth it based on the quality of the courses..  Only regret was not being able to play Crystal Downs, had to settle on Grand Traverse instead.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 09:17:41 AM »
Second best typo in this post:

"It defiantly lives up to the recent hype."

All courses should defiantly live up to hype!!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 09:25:12 AM »
I can't match anything thus far, but will give a trip I made for a few years in a row back in the late 90's over our spring break:

On a Friday leave by car from PHL at 3 AM for Aunt Myrtle.  Play 18 early Friday afternoon.  Then 36 holes Sat, Sun, Mon, then 18 Tu morning and get in the car and back home in PHL around midnight.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Brian Hilko

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 09:37:33 AM »
Sorry for all the typos. I have the writing ability of a 4th grader. Love the stories guys. I find it funny how we can not wait for another golf trip. We always forget what we put our bodies through to play some of these great courses.

I am a repeat offender on the crazy trips because of my job. I have very little time away from work. Earlier this summer we left work at about 2. We arrived at the Straits by 5. We basically had a speed walking competition and still played 17 and 18 in the dark. Then we drove up to Marquette. The next day we played 54 holes and then drove back the 8 hours home. Once again, thank you red bull for getting me through those long days!

Down with the brown

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 03:23:12 PM »
35 different courses in 35 days from the upper peninusla in Michigan all the way down to Southern Florida.
21 courses in Australia in 21 days
16 rounds in 11 days in Scotland and again in Ireland
Flying to Hawaii to knockoff one course in the top 100
Now that I look back, was I really that nuts?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 03:56:42 PM »
35 different courses in 35 days from the upper peninusla in Michigan all the way down to Southern Florida.
21 courses in Australia in 21 days
16 rounds in 11 days in Scotland and again in Ireland
Flying to Hawaii to knockoff one course in the top 100
Now that I look back, was I really that nuts?

No doubles, Cary?   ;D

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 03:58:53 PM »
21 days, 3 flights, 2500 miles driven, 5 states, 23 courses, 39 rounds.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 05:31:03 PM »
21 days, 3 flights, 2500 miles driven, 5 states, 23 courses, 39 rounds.

Wasn't going to read this thread until I saw your name on it ironman.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Alex Miller

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 05:41:47 PM »
Where's Goldstein?

Doesn't he automatically win this one?  ;D

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 06:04:45 PM »
driving from Portland in order Wine Valley, Circling Raven, Rock Creek CC, Sagebrush for 41 holes;   6 days, one sprained ankle
24 courses in 28 days circling England and Wales, one stretch was in order Harlech, Woodhall Spa, Ganton, Brancaster.
Four weeks in Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Tasmania and the Mornington, just after the Presidents Cup, again 24 rounds.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 07:10:29 PM »
My credentials in this thread are as follows:

24 rounds in 22 days in Scotland in 99
18 rounds in 11 days in Scotland this past summer

Ryan Simper and I did a classic 9 rounds in 5 days back in 08 or so in California

Day 1:  Trump CA, Armand Hammer x4!
Day 2:  LACC-North, Rustic Canyon, drive to Palm Desert
Day 3:  Terra Lago 36
Day 4:  Stone Eagle, Marriott Shadow Ridge
Day 5:  Wake up 5:30AM, drive 90 minutes to Barona, play with Spaulding and Stamm, drive 2 hours on two wheels, walk directly from car to first tee at Palos Verdes CC...time enough for dinner and shower post-round, red-eye to Boston (I dont sleep on planes), stop at home before going to work...work full day, attended red sox game that night until 11pm....about 44 hours straight awake, including 2 golf rounds, 5 hours driving, full work day, and sporting event!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 07:22:33 PM »
Went to Scotland this past summer with my dad.
Landed in Edinburgh at 8 AM.  Drove to St. Andrews and played TOC at 11.  Played New Course at 3.  END DAY
Day 2 Played New Course then TOC
Day 3 Played TOC then drove to North Berwick, and played there.
Day 4 Played Muirfield in morning, Gullane #2 afternoon.
Day 5 Played 36 Muirfield, then left and drove to Turnberry.
Day 6 Played Ailsa Course 2x then nighttime played front nine of the Kintyre and 13-18 of Ailsa.
Day 7 drove to Prestwick, played Prestwick morning Western Gailes afternoon.
Day 8 played 36 Royal Troon and drove up to Dornoch.  Played 3 holes at Royal Dornoch.
Day 9 played 54 Royal Dornoch.
Day 10 played Brora then Royal Dornoch Struie.
Day 11 played 54 Royal Dornoch.
Day 12 played 18 Dornoch, then played Castle Stewart on Tuesday after the Scottish Open.
Day 13 played 36 Dornoch then slapped it around for a few holes on Struie course.
Day 14 depart Dornoch and drive to Cruden Bay, play Cruden Bay.
Day 15 play Royal Aberdeen, depart for Carnoustie.
Day 16 play Carnoustie 36 holes.
Day 17 drive back to Edinburgh and fly back to NJ.

Long trip, we drove ourselves, but a lot of golf. And if you couldn't tell, we are members of Royal Dornoch so we spent quite a bit of time there, otherwise we would have played more Northern Highlands courses.

jeffwarne

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 07:29:32 PM »
Landed in Edinburgh at 8 AM.  Drove to St. Andrews and played TOC at 11.  Played New Course at 3.  END DAY
Day 6 Played Ailsa Course 2x then nighttime played front nine of the Kintyre and 13-18 of Ailsa.
Day 8 played 36 Royal Troon and drove up to Dornoch.  Played 3 holes at Royal Dornoch.
Day 12 played 18 Dornoch, then played Castle Stewart on Tuesday after the Scottish Open.
Day 13 played 36 Dornoch then slapped it around for a few holes on Struie course.

Long trip, we drove ourselves, but a lot of golf. And if you couldn't tell, we are members of Royal Dornoch so we spent quite a bit of time there, otherwise we would have played more Northern Highlands courses.

What  happened day 14 and 15?
Your dad is an animal (unless you're 13)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 07:41:58 PM »

Amazing! I'm in next time you do a trip like that  :)

Cory Lewis

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 07:46:14 PM »
My Honeymoon:

Day 1:  Landed in Denver, play Colorado Golf Club.  Drove 3 1/2 hours to Ballyneal.

Day 2: 36 holes at Ballyneal, 4 hour drive to Pueblo, CO.  Stopped along the way and played 18 holes at Antler Creek

Day 3: 18 holes at Cougar Canyon, Drove 4 hours to Paa Ko Ridge, played 27 holes.  Drove to Santa Fe

Day 4:  18 holes at Black Mesa, drove 4 1/2 hours to Colorado Springs, 18 holes at The Broadmoor(East) course on July 4th.

Day 5: 18 holes at Sanctuary, drove 5 hours to Gothenberg, 18 holes at Wild Horse, drove 2 1/2 hours to Sand Hills

Day 6: 36 holes at Sand Hills, drove 5 hours to Denver, 18 holes at Golf Club at Ravenna.  Started that round with about 2 hours of daylight left and got all 18 in!

Day 7: Flew home, completely exhausted for some reason.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 08:08:08 PM by Cory Lewis »
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Brad Tufts

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 07:58:22 PM »
Hey Alex....I'm fairly confident we met on the range at Muirfield on your day 4 this summer, our second to last day.

Were you wearing a red hat?

We were staying at Greywalls, and I was with my bro, my dad, and another guy.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Howard Riefs

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 08:01:17 PM »
My Honeymoon:

Day 1:  Land in Denver, play Colorado Golf Club.  Drive 3 1/2 hours to Ballyneal.

Day 2: 36 holes at Ballyneal, 4 hour drive to Pueblo, CO.  Stop along the way and play 18 holes at Antler Creek

Day 3: 18 holes at Cougar Canyon, Drive 4 hours to Paa Ko Ridge, play 27 holes.  Drive to Santa Fe

Day 4:  18 holes at Black Mesa, drive 4 1/2 hours to Colorado Springs, 18 holes at The Broadmoor(East) course on July 4th.

Day 5: 18 holes at Sanctuary, drive 5 hours to Gothenberg, 18 holes at Wild Horse, drive 2 1/2 hours to Sand Hills

Day 6: 36 holes at Sand Hills, drive 5 hours to Denver, 18 holes at Golf Club at Ravenna.  Started that round with about 2 hours of daylight left and got all 18 in!

Day 7: Fly home, completely exhausted for some reason.

If that's your honeymoon, I can't imagine the schedule for an actual golf trip.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 08:46:43 PM »

What  happened day 14 and 15?
Your dad is an animal (unless you're 13)

Day 14 and 15 we were really golfed out and the only reason we played those courses was for me to see them.
My dad is a trooper.  And no I am not 13 ;)
The trip was a father son graduation present for me from high school in which I could get to see some of the best courses in the world and prepare myself for college golf at Colgate.

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2011, 08:49:18 PM »
Hey Alex....I'm fairly confident we met on the range at Muirfield on your day 4 this summer, our second to last day.

Were you wearing a red hat?

We were staying at Greywalls, and I was with my bro, my dad, and another guy.
I don't remember what hat I was wearing, but I do remember meeting you.  I think you guys were doing our reverse trip, and had just came down from up North.  How did the end of your trip go?  That day was really tough at Muirfield, but the next day when I played 36, I knew my way around and easy able to put up a decent score ;D

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 02:48:15 AM »
Alex - you are correct Goldstein trumps everyone! One of his exploits that made me laugh is the fact he believes he and Jamie are the first people to play National and Shinnecock on the same day having slept in their car the night before and after the visit.  :o
Cave Nil Vino

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 06:15:19 AM »
Craziest thing I have done ?

Tried to see at least 2 courses a day over nearly a month throughout the USA.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2011, 10:11:35 AM »
Craziest thing I have done ?

Tried to see at least 2 courses a day over nearly a month throughout the USA.

Awhile ago, toward the end of the season, I was paired with a GD rater for an afternoon round at the Barton Creek- Canyons course who probably has set this particular standard.  As I recall, he was well on his way to playing 200 courses for the year, and already had penciled in around 140 for the following year.  He was a "senior" and said that he had already started to slow down.  Two and three week trips of 36-hole days were not unusual for him.  As hard to believe as it was, I asked around and the guy was legit.

A different record of sorts is a GCAer who has played more rounds in a year than there are days.  Oh, and he works full-time and lives in Indiana.  Perhaps he'll post. 

Mark Smolens

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 10:13:12 AM »
1990 trip across the pond -- 16 rounds in 9 days, with two ferry rides (to Northern Ireland, and back to Scotland).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back