News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

THE BLIND SHOT
« on: October 19, 2011, 11:13:10 AM »

What do you like better? The blind tee shot,the blind second or the blind par three.

Anthony

Cristian

Re: THE BLIND SHOT
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 11:22:39 AM »
The blind second; the other two are unavoidable, this one some times isn't!

Greg Taylor

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 11:37:52 AM »
Given that there is an element of luck involved in every respect my answer is "none of them" !

Fun to play, but as a fair test of golf I would say not the right thing... IMHO

James Boon

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 11:47:19 AM »
All three, in moderation are generally fine by me, though there are always going to be some circumstances were a blind shot just doesn't work. I would say the most fun is an approach be it on a par 4 or 5, or the tee shot on a par 3. Always exciting getting the the crest of the dune or whatever, to see if you've managed to a, get on the green and b, are you anywhere close? Disappointment usually follows, but nevermind!   ::)

Greg,

All I can say to that is a, whoever said golf was supposed to be fair?  ;) and b, its only blind the first time you play it (which I've often quoted, but only recently realised it was Tom Simpson)

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

michael damico

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 12:41:15 PM »
tee and approach shot are welcomed in my book; the blind 3...well, if it's partial, i have no problem, but fully blind: there better be a great reason why a connecting hole had to be placed like that (and work well within the 'whole')
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
                                                                -fz

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 12:46:21 PM »
James

Agreed, OK in moderation. Unfortunately Mr Simpson didn't seem to agree when he came to redesigning Cruden Bay which is maybe why he came up with such a pitiful excuse as it only being blind the first time  ;).

Niall

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 12:48:07 PM »
BLIND par 3 holes (total, ie at a MP) are pretty much a no no. I cant think anyone would design one today in a good course, perhaps some archies will chirp in that they have. I like some blindness in a course and degrees of partial blindness but like James it has to be in moderation.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Michael George

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 12:56:10 PM »

All are fine so long as there is variety amongst the shots throughout the course.

I would take a Dell hole on my course in a heartbeat.  However, I would not want another blind par 3.  I think a well designed course on a good property has at least one uphill (blind or not), one downhill and one level par 3.

In addition, I think the blind tee shot can be one of the more exciting shots in golf.  The tee shot on #3 at Old MacDonald and #11 at Bandon Trails are certainly two of the more exciting shots at Bandon.  Further, as often used by MacKenzie, the heroic tee shot uphill (sometimes blind) and usually involving choosing an angle in which to approach the fairway (over a line of bunkers) should often be used on golf courses. 
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
The only blind shots I prefer on the course are the ones that come in small glasses.  (You never know when your buddy is going to slip in a little 151 on you).  ;)

I don't think it matters on which shot, its blind...it only matters, as has been said before, that its used sparingly.  Too many blind shots make for a long day of hunting for lost balls.

P.S.  Does this mean TOC isn't very good based on the alleged number of blind shots it has?

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 01:44:39 PM »
The blind second shot.  Tee shots have the biggest chance of getting lost on a golf course due to the length and inaccuracy of long clubs versus short clubs.  I'm not a fan of spending much time looking for a tee ball that may have been less than stellar and no true idea of where to look due to the blind aspect of the tee shot.  I been fortunate to have two holes-in-one and both of them I could see go in.  I think the excitement of seeing it drop while standing on the tee is a visual I'll never forget and was very exciting.  For whatever reason, need to see an an approach shot hole out isn't as important to me as on a par three and I enjoy the anticipation of getting up to the green and finding the result.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 01:52:59 PM »

The Great Equaliser, it sorts the men out from the boys, it minimises technology leaving it to the golfer to face the challenge head on -  Yes, Blind shots are a must on a course, hell we sometimes need to know our own ability to read the unreadable, that’s the underlining fun of the game.

How many run from these shots, hide stating their dislike, yet are they any more uncertain than a strong gust on a windy day from a good on shore wind. 

Melvyn

Jim Franklin

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 02:04:01 PM »
I love them all. Moderation would be good, but I love the mystery involved with a blind shot.
Mr Hurricane

michael damico

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 04:49:58 PM »

The Great Equaliser, it sorts the men out from the boys, it minimises technology leaving it to the golfer to face the challenge head on -  Yes, Blind shots are a must on a course, hell we sometimes need to know our own ability to read the unreadable, that’s the underlining fun of the game.

How many run from these shots, hide stating their dislike, yet are they any more uncertain than a strong gust on a windy day from a good on shore wind. 

Melvyn

Melvyn, could you better explain this for me? I may just not be reading it correctly, but how does a blind shot minimize technology?
                                                                -fz

Jim Franklin

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 04:54:34 PM »

Melvyn

Melvyn, could you better explain this for me? I may just not be reading it correctly, but how does a blind shot minimize technology?

You can't use a laser to a pin you cannot see. You need to trust your yardages and not technology.
Mr Hurricane

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 05:27:42 PM »

Thanks Jim, you have covered it, well most of it.

I would not work on yardage but faith in my ability. I believe blind shots helps ones natural tendency to have a go, it teaches the golfer a valuable lesson of how to take real control, which I believe is the actual secret in developing a level of skill in the game.

Melvyn

Michael George

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 05:36:07 PM »

Jim:

Had many blind shots after looking at your shoes at Dunes.  Do those count???  LOL
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

michael damico

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 05:41:36 PM »

Thanks Jim, you have covered it, well most of it.

I would not work on yardage but faith in my ability. I believe blind shots helps ones natural tendency to have a go, it teaches the golfer a valuable lesson of how to take real control, which I believe is the actual secret in developing a level of skill in the game.

Melvyn

understood, I read it more on the club and ball technology...not aids

never used a laser yardage finder...only a laser level
                                                                -fz

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 05:50:07 PM »

I have never used a Sat Nav, GPS or Range Finder nor Distance Markers, they are for the less confident among us who seem to have little faith in their abilities.  ;D

Melvyn

Tim Martin

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 05:50:17 PM »
I like the blind tee shot and approach. Not a fan of the blind par three. The 3rd at Yale gives you a blind tee shot and approach.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 06:13:18 PM »

Michael

There is a degree of ball club technology being affected by blind holes/shots. The simple factor of the unknown negates their potential advantage, so yes I do mean it also minimises club/ball technology.

Melvyn

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 06:21:13 PM »
Given that there is an element of luck involved in every respect my answer is "none of them" !

Fun to play, but as a fair test of golf I would say not the right thing... IMHO

Golf is not meant to be played on a billiard table. There is always a factor of luck in golf. Holes-in-one are always luck. Since all competitors play the same hole, golf is fair.

Hopefully YHO will become more informed.

Until then, I suggest you play all your golf at the driving range where things are somewhat predictable.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 10:01:21 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sean_A

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 07:09:22 PM »

What do you like better? The blind tee shot,the blind second or the blind par three.

Anthony

Anthony

I don't mind any of the blind options so long as there is space to miss.  Beyond that, the issue is really about quantity.  I just played a course with an incredible number of blind tee shots.  There wasn't any trouble fo these tee shots, but so many were the same that it is "problem" with the design.  I am thinking of Cleeve Cloud, but TOC suffers from this a bit as well - enough to be noted. 

My favourite blind shot is the "out of position" blind shot.  I greatly enjoy the strategy of playing to see the target or being safer and suffering a blind next.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

David Harshbarger

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 07:48:20 PM »
Devereux Emmet's Mechanicville CC originally started with a short blind par 4/ long blind par 3 depending on the tees.  I assume the par 4 tees were used for 1 and the par 3 for 10 given the location of the clubhouse (if the second set of tees even existed to start).  I thought it would make a nice way to "get away" from the clubhouse to climb up and away out into the course.

Today, with a new clubhouse sited elsewhere, this hole plays as 7/16.

Tim, I don't clearly recall but at Yale 3, if you challenge the water right do you get a view of the pin? How about if you play short left to the hill?  Yale 10 is one of the best strategic examples of blindness that I've seen (take that FWIW), with the choice to play short off the tee opening up the long, visible shot to the green, while long off the leaves a short blind uphill approach.  I don't know that "Carries" is a template hole in the traditional sense, but I can't imagine any course that had the supporting topology wouldn't be proud to have that hole.

Melvyn, I absolutely agree that at an essential level the test that is the blind shot, ESP. The blind tee shot, is a fundamental part of the complete golf challenge.

Sean,  I also absolutely agree that blindness as a penalty is a great feature.  As noted about Yale 10, the fact that blindness and distance are traded off as strategic options on well placed shots is also very cool.

Are there good examples of holes where the best angle requires accepting a blind shot, or other strategic trade offs for even well played shots?
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Sean_A

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2011, 07:54:44 PM »
David

Yes, rather oddly Burnham's approach to 15 is a better angle, but blind, from the short right rough compared to the fairway.  

Jeff

Other than your love of forced marches and your uncanny robot-like precision, I believe you are my kindred spirit of golf.  I tend to agree with you more than anybody about what golf should be.

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 05:43:52 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

David Harshbarger

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2011, 08:12:02 PM »
Sean, is that a trade off you accept willingly?  Is it "fair" to ask the player to accept the rough as the penalty for a look?  It certainly is uncomfortable thinking about it.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back