News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Leo Barber

Re: GCA BOOMERANG - March 22-25 2012 - Paraparaumu Beach GC
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2012, 12:00:24 AM »
Just heard the guys played the original Maxwell 9th hole. Superb..

Wrong design associate Goldy (Russell) but yes we did play it - twice, and you were right.  It is such a good hole from over there.  I say we test the law......again

Scott Warren

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2012, 12:24:11 AM »
I must say, Leo, when I saw Goldy's comment about Maxwell I wasn't sure if there was some obscure NZ architect who helped Russell of if maybe we were going to have to check the ship manifests for Wellington harbour c. 1930!

Glad you guys had a great time and as I sit here at work absorbing the news that Santorum just won Louisiana (;D) I am more determined than ever to get over there again and -- third time lucky -- actually play PBGC instead of just threatening to!

Scott Coan

« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2012, 05:51:07 AM »
I'll echo Leo's comments and give a big thumbs up to all the boys that played over the past couple of days.  72 holes and 2 after-match functions over a short 2 days have left me pretty sore and drained but a heap of fun was had by all.  Pity the weather was not more cooperative but that's just the way things go.

It was real fun playing the "old" 9th tee as part of the comp and as there have been a few comments about it I thought I'd post a few pics as it's basically my back yard.  Leo can expound but my understanding is that some 20 odd years ago a neighbor brought an injunction against the Club forcing the move to an interior 9th tee which makes for an awkward tee shot and an infernal interior OOB with the 1st fairway.  They do still use this tee for the NZ Opens (and GCA get-togethers!).

Here's the old tee pad just over the maintenance road:

View from the old tee:

From my roof, showing the 9th green way over on left (with 8 green center):

2 more from the roof showing the 9th green:

View from the currently used interior 9th tee:

Same view zoomed:

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2012, 06:56:00 AM »
Do excuse me Leo et al.  Losing my mind already... Great hole from over there. Glad to see it catching on again and being used by people other than bare-foot-bandits
@Pure_Golf

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2012, 03:57:45 PM »
Scott pleased the guys had a good time, shame the weather wasn't like your photos!
Cave Nil Vino

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2012, 11:37:07 PM »
After a rather large 48 hours hosting the 2012 GCA Boomerang its time for some recovery and some reflection on what was a really enjoyable gathering of likeminded GCA folk here at Paraparaumu

Firstly congratulations to Kevin Pallier and his team of Internationals (Matthew Delahunty, Pup Taylor and Dave Herrick).  With a combination of fourball, foursomes and singles it was the foreign invaders who finished the strongest with a come from behind victory to claim the last match of the day and in doing so capture the honour of the "Boomerang" - 4.5 - 3.5.  They stuck it out despite waterlogged socks, blisters, inclement weather, thick fog, foreign design and a passionate opposition.  Well done guys and it was a real pleasure to have been able to host you, safe travels back home we look forward to renewing aquaintances in the future.

Leo

Thanks for being such a great host and organising such a wonderfull event. I think we saw Parap. under a number of different guises and it will be interesting as to where the Boomerang is held next year ?

Front row (from the left): Marty / "Waireaki" Russ / "Pup" Taylor / Leo Barber / Matthew Delahuntly
Back Row: Kevin P / Dave Herrick / Grant Saunders (missing Scott Coan)

It was a great couple of days with matches ebbing and flowing throughout. The Internationals were able to win 3 out of the 4 singles matches to seal the deal on the Final day. Dave and Matthew's come from behind victory from 2 down with 4 to play over the closing holes was probably the turning point for the visitors coming into the last day.

For those that haven't seen Parap. it is a must play for mine when in NZ. Michael and I plan to try and do some photo tours on our return and despite the inclement weather - we are having a blast. There are a number of great courses now in NZ and how Parap. isn't in the current World Top100 is beyond me...

Hey Leo - have you sunk that putt on # 18 yet  ;)

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2012, 02:14:21 AM »
Please don't tell me Leo leaked a(nother) lead down the stretch?  :-\
Cave Nil Vino

Leo Barber

« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2012, 02:45:30 AM »
Kevin, its the 17inch miss on 13 that still haunts!!! 

Chappers, what can I say?  I guess I just bring out the best in other peoples golf. 

Yet again 18 and its par 4 and a half produces a dramatic finish.  I like it as a finishing hole for those qualities alone.   

Scott Warren

« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2012, 03:00:48 AM »
Let's look past the fact you missed from inside a foot and a half and ask what kind of bastard makes you putt one in a match from that distance?!

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2012, 03:26:12 AM »
If any of you are coming to Queenstown / Oreti let me know (via Leo is best).

@Pure_Golf

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2012, 04:29:07 AM »
Let's look past the fact you missed from inside a foot and a half and ask what kind of bastard makes you putt one in a match from that distance?!

Scott

It was for a win after going OOB off the tee. Plus, Leo has a lets say reputation for being a "tough" opponent. ;)

I believe he said to me he was glad I didn't make have a go from a longer distance on the 14th.....

Michael

Pup and I are in Queenstown at the moment. We played Arrowrown yesterday and Jacks Point today. We plan to be at The Hills tomorrow from around 10am.

Grant Saunders

« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2012, 12:19:01 AM »
What a great couple of days and fantastic people to golf with.

Looking forward to the photo tours starting up.

Kevin if you see this, check your emails regarding golf this Sunday.

James Bennett

« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2012, 06:42:51 AM »
Leo

Thanks for being such a great host and organising such a wonderfull event. I think we saw Parap. under a number of different guises and it will be interesting as to where the Boomerang is held next year ?

Interesting question Kevin.  Mornington or Bellarine Peninsula could work. So could Newcastle/Hunter.  I suspect the choice will come from the regulars, especially those who commit to organising it.

I doubt it will be in Adelaide.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Matthew Delahunty

« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2012, 11:23:34 PM »
A few "action" shots

A moist start to the Boomerang

Scott Coan tees off in the afternoon

Leo Barber on 5

Grant Saunders on 12

No thread about the 2012 Boomerang would be complete without a photo of Leo and his yellow ball.

Grant pitching to the 16th

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 11:26:37 PM by Matthew Delahunty »

Grant Saunders

« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2012, 10:21:50 PM »
A few "action" shots

No thread about the 2012 Boomerang would be complete without a photo of Leo and his yellow ball.

Mathew

Thanks for posting those shots.

After seeing how easy it was to locate Leo's yellow ball when he strayed into the long stuff, I thinking that my game may benefit from the switch.

My wallet too.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2012, 08:15:01 PM »
After some crappy weather in the North Island we didn't get a drop of rain in the South Island. Go figure ?

It was great to finish off a game at Harewood with Grant Saunders yesterday - a course that shows with the right meld of design and maintenance one can have a good golf course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back