News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

don_bartlett

Another new member intro
« on: October 14, 2011, 12:29:26 AM »
Hi everyone,

My name is Don Bartlett, and after many years of "visiting" this site, I finally reached out to Ran, who graciously accepted me into this great site.  I have been playing this great game for the past 20 odd years, and have increasingly become interested in course architecture.  I live 40 minutes northwest of Toronto, which provides many opportunities to travel the norhtern States.  Over the past few years I've been fortunate to experiece some of the great courses in both the US and Canada and do travel 4-5 times a year for golf...  Oak Hill, Monroe, Oakland Hills, Butler Nat'l, Rich Harvest Farms, Whistling Straits, and Inverness in the US, as well as St. George's, Hamilton, The National, Coppinwood, Muskoka Bay Club, Mad River and Redtail in Canada (to name a few). 
I love playing the different courses to see the differences, and in some cases similarities between different architects in how they design a course.  I don't have a favorite architech as I admire them all, but I certainly have a soft spot for Stanley Thompson, and Donald Ross designs... 
Seeing decorated architects such as Tom Doak contributing on the site is an added bonus to all the knowledgeable folks that I've been getting my architecture fix from for some time now. 
I look forward to contributing to the site, and getting to know you all as time goes by - perhaps even meeting some of you along my travels. 
Don

Kevin Pallier

Re: Another new member intro
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 08:05:06 AM »
Welcome Don

Nice to see another Canadian on GCA (not that I'm a canuck) . Have you travelled further afield from North America for golf ?

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 08:37:07 AM »

Welcome Don

Jump in, the water is not cold, a few sharks perhaps but most toothless. Although I am told that there are many bottom feeders here yet as we know many can produce some wonderful surprises i.e. sturgeon/caviar - so don't write them off.

Be your own man, but watch out for some of the Designers/Architects, they are still learning their craft ;)

Melvyn

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 09:03:22 AM »
Welcome Don from another Torontonian.  Do you participate on TGN as well?

No doubt you will meet some other GCAers in your travels.  As much as I have enjoyed participating on this site, the very best part has been meeting fun and gracious people across the country.

don_bartlett

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 04:49:43 PM »
Thanks everyone for the welcome! 

@ Kevin, outside of North America, my golf has been limited to Bahamas, and Mexico.  I am turning 40 in a couple years and am trying to plan a trip to Scotland and Ireland likely for 10 days.
@Melvyn, thank you very much for the welcome packs, lots of great stuff there - I'll be going through it all in more details.
@Mark - yes I am a TGN'r, lefty42 is my handle.  We should try to get out one of these days, as we both have an appreciation of taking photos of the great courses we play.  We still have a good month and a half to golf!

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 11:29:23 PM »
Welcome Don!

Come out west for the Kings Putter next year at Sagebrush!

don_bartlett

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 04:47:02 PM »
Thanks Ryan, I've read a bit about the kings putter but would like to know more.  Is there a format to the event?  Team?  Ryder/President's Cup?

Howard Riefs

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 05:30:01 PM »
Welcome, Don. Always nice to have another lefty among the ranks.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 07:02:16 PM »
I think we need a mini-TOBU challenge here...Kevin Lynch and I will get John Lyon and one more WNYer and we can go 4 vs. 4 against a metro Toronto quartet for something, probably in 2012.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 10:24:14 PM »
I think we need a mini-TOBU challenge here...Kevin Lynch and I will get John Lyon and one more WNYer and we can go 4 vs. 4 against a metro Toronto quartet for something, probably in 2012.

Ron,

Bring it.

don_bartlett

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 11:32:33 PM »
Definitely in for that!  Neutral site or home and home? 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back