News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chip Gaskins

Fishers Island (the East Coast Cypress Point)
« on: October 12, 2011, 10:53:12 PM »
I was lucky enough to see Fishers Island Club a few weeks ago and can say I was blown away. 

I really didn't have any expectations.  I knew the site was very coastal, natural, rocky, and vistas to die for....often that would seem to be in contrast with Raynor's square lines, functional push up greens, and overall engineering approach of function over form. 

Whoa, is that wrong....I think Fishers Island is as good as National Golf Links, if not better, and leaves me wondering what Cypress Point would have been like if Seth Raynor had not passed so early.

I can't imagine a more idyllic setting to play golf outside of St Andrews or Monterey.

What a commute to play golf!!!!!

Hole #3

Hole #4
I mean come on….an Alps AND a Punchbowl….only other Punchbowl close in my mind is Creek Club.

Hole #4

Hole #4 second shot

Hole #4 Green

Hole #5 Biaritz

Hole #6 Stunning, reminds me a little of Crystal Downs #8

Hole #7

Hole #8

Hole #8

Hole #9  Is there a better double plateau, nope!

Hole #10 Now that is a skyline green!

Hole #11 Eden, with a better view than the real thing!

Hole #12

Hole #16 Short, not Raynor’s best, but maybe the most scenic

Hole #18

The commute home…

Joel_Stewart

Re: Fishers Island (the East Coast Cypress Point)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 11:12:02 PM »
Superb photos, thanks.

I've said it before, it's not the best course in the world but it's the nicest!

Brandon Urban

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 11:19:24 PM »
I have never been to Fisher's so I can't add much in the way of architecture but I will say... that looks freaking amazing. I have heard a few differing opinions on Fisher's Island but after seeing your pics I have to assume that the guys that didn't like it must have been on hallucinogenic drugs.
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 11:53:30 PM »
Memories come flooding back...

Thanks for posting these Chip.

How about the panoramic view from atop the 11th?  Epic moment!

Have you ever played such nice poa?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 11:55:42 PM by Patrick Kiser »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Michael Taylor

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 12:55:26 AM »
How narrow is the tee shot on the 8th hole Chip? Every pic I've seen makes it look like a bloody difficult driving hole.

That skyline green on 10 is incredible.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 01:00:44 AM »
I think Fishers Island is as good as National Golf Links, if not better, and leaves me wondering what Cypress Point would have been like if Seth Raynor had not passed so early.

Can you give any specifics on how/why FI is as good as NGLA or better? 

Assuming Seth's layout at CPC was somewhat similar to Mackenzie's, I wonder which templates Raynor would have laid out and where.   

JC Jones

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 07:44:20 AM »
Can you explain what it is about #6 that reminds you of #8 at Crystal Downs?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 08:55:53 AM »
Thanks, Chip.  You're always traveling to play the greats and these photos are some of the better ones that I've seen of FI.

Sheehy....only a few more days for you!

Ron Csigo

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 09:47:08 AM »
Can you explain what it is about #6 that reminds you of #8 at Crystal Downs?

I don't want to answer for Chip but I will add my two cents.  Both the 6th hole at Fishers and the 8th hole at CD require long and accurate tee shots to a fairway that has a ton of movement/undulation.  Your second shot at both venues is usually from a sidehill/downhill/uphill lie.  The only difference is that you're second shot at Fishers is blind.  Your third shot will again be of the sidehill/downhill/uphill variety going uphill to a back to front sloping green.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 09:51:46 AM »
I have often thought #9 was the best Double Plateau I have played as well.
Mr Hurricane

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 10:49:38 AM »
Michael-

It does look very narrow from the tee with both areas of water in view. With that said, the fairway is a little more expansive once you get out in it, it just doesn't look that way from the tee.  You heart is beating pretty fast at this point after finishing one of the most amazing run of holes (3-7) there is in golf.

Jim-
The first reason is that I personally think that is the terrain is more interesting at Fishers than NGLA.  Second I believe the great holes at Fishers (4,5,6,7,9,11,12) are better than the great holes at NGLA (1,4,6,8,15,16) and the sporty holes are on par probably.  They both have a couple of standard holes (Fishers 13,17 and NGLA 2,5,10) which are a push as well.  Last, the views are as good as golf gets (which I realize have NOTHING to do with architecture) but as many here have argued you can't take them away and unless your heart isn't beating and your ears don't hear the omnipresent lighthouse bell you can't underestimate their intoxication of your experience at Fishers.  Most on here would say NGLA is a better, maybe even more fun, golf course...but day to day, I would rather play Fishers.  Just my opinion.

Brian-

It was relativity firm given the massive amount of rain in August and September (and the two days before I played).  We were able to run the ball in on many holes (1,7,8,9,15,17)....matter of fact my playing partner hit an 8 iron from 115 yards completely along the ground to ONE inch on #9 the double plateau, which was fun to see!  Hurricane Irene certainly had its effects on the course with water coming up on those two interior holes (13 & 14) but the rest of the course was in perfect shape, probably too perfect (green) for many.  You can see the trees were already brown in some of the pictures and that wasn't from the leaves changing for the fall, it was the massive amount of salt spray in the wind from the hurricane that killed the leaves.  Donnie Beck does an amazing job there without pervasive irrigation.  A true case study to be studied and implemented everywhere in my opinion.

Ron-

Well said about the comparison's of Fishers #6 and Crystal Downs #8.  The only thing I would add is the greens are very different.  If you three putt Crystal Downs #8 you had done well, Fishers #6 is much flatter and birdie is a true opportunity.

George Pazin

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 09:47:41 AM »
Thanks for sharing, Chip. Fishers Island threads are always among my favorites, I just wish they would draw a few more insights from people like Pat M and other NY/New England posters.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tim Martin

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 04:02:34 PM »
Chip-Great pictures as well as descriptions. The approach into 4 and 12 are two of my favorites in all of golf. To get up to the top of the hill/alps on 4 and see your ball on the surface is a real treat. On the reverse redan 12th green the back right pin placement provides a thrill ride on the second as it disappears through the contours of what is my favorite green on the course. I have heard it said before that this may be the golf course in heaven to which I have no rebuttal.

PThomas

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 06:29:34 PM »
in terms of actual appearance isnt Friars Head more like CPC (thanks to Tony Nysse and his tag line for the reminder)
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 09:21:46 PM »
Thanks to a very generous GCA'er I was able to play Fishers Island two or three years ago, it may have been longer.  I do know that of over six hundred courses played in a dissolute life of putting golf before the lust for lucre, Fishers Island is in my top Five in the World.

There is not one architectural feature that stands out but the whole ambience of the place reeks of golf....as it should be played...for the pure fun of it all.

Bob

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 09:39:46 PM »
Chip,

What great Photos!

Is this Seth Raynor's greatest creation? Certainly, the land it was built on is incredible. If it were built today the Golf Course would be inland and all the seaside real estate would have been reserved for homes.

The 3rd through 11th are fabulous and I think that the biarritz here is my favorite of those I that I have played.

Also, the course doesn't beat you up! Very fair and fun to play.

Malcolm

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 10:23:27 PM »
Chip thank you for the beautiful pictures. I have not had the good fortune to go there. It is on the short list of have to play. It looks like you had a perfect fall day. I would be pinching myself to make sure it was real and not a dream.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 06:35:57 AM »
Chip

Is there any chance you can put up photos of the holes currently missing from your thread ?

FI is a "speacial" place - that's for sure...

Scott Warren

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 09:39:37 AM »
A year today since I spent a really special day there, an experience I really cherish. Thanks for the pics, Chip.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 10:21:03 PM »
Chip,

Glad to see that you're getting around.

Fishers Island is a wonderful golf course, collectively and individually, with that most wonderful asset, the wind, thrown in as the icing on the cake.

Fishers Island is the kind of golf course that you could play 36 a day on, every day, and never tire of it.

Isn't that the mark of brilliant architecture ?

Sean_A

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2011, 08:39:28 AM »
Yes, Fishers is definitely near the top of the list for courses I would love to see, but will in all likelyhood never get the chance.  Thanks for the pix Chip. 

I love the isthmus tee shot for the 8th. 

I also really like the scruffy appearance on the edges.  These parts help to smooth out the sharp edges of (mainly) the greens.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Brad Swanson

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2011, 10:07:33 AM »
From the little I've seen here on GCA, Fishers it at the top of my list of courses I'd choose if I only had one to play the rest of my life.  The combination of the golf and the quaint, isolated setting might just be enough to get me to pick-up the sticks again.

Brad

Jud_T

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2011, 10:12:34 AM »
The place is truly wonderful, and there's not many places one would rather be on a summer's day.  Probably the poster boy for muddying the "one must separate the architecture from the views" argument, perhaps even more so than Pebble.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Carl Nichols

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2011, 11:45:51 PM »
Thanks to a very generous GCA'er I was able to play Fishers Island two or three years ago, it may have been longer.  I do know that of over six hundred courses played in a dissolute life of putting golf before the lust for lucre, Fishers Island is in my top Five in the World.

There is not one architectural feature that stands out but the whole ambience of the place reeks of golf....as it should be played...for the pure fun of it all.

Bob

Bob-
If you'd be willing to share, I'd love to hear your top Five in the World.....

Mark McKeever

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2011, 03:28:42 PM »
The course looks phenomenal.  Gotta love the uphill Biarritz.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back