News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill McKinley

New Member Intro
« on: October 12, 2011, 10:19:51 AM »
Hello all,

My name is Bill McKinley and I'm the 1st Assistant at Canterbury Golf Club in Beachwood, Ohio.  Hopefully most or all of you know about Canterbury, if not read Ran's write up on it.

I came across GCA a few years ago and really just started to ready through all of the write ups.  Then as my eye for architecture grew I started to lurk on the discussion board more and more until I sent Ran a note asking if I could become a member, he said yes and that's where we are today.

As for me, I really enjoy being in the golf business as a Professional.  You'll hear a lot of guys in our line of work complain about the hours and the lack of golf that they get to play.  But, I do not find that to be the case.  Getting a ticket to the Masters should be reason enough for me to be happy to be a PGA Member, but there are many other reasons that stick out too. 

Like how bout the fact that I've played courses like Merion, Oakmont, Seminole, Oakland Hills, Oak Hill and many others, not to mention a trip to Scotland last year, all because of my contacts in the PGA and the members of my club.

From an architecture standpoint I played my 1st Seth Raynor course this year, Fox Chapel, and came away a HUGE fan of his work and want to see more and more of what he did in his great, but short career as a golf course architect.  I also enjoy true Donald Ross courses a lot and think that Tom Doak and his team, including Bruce Hepner, at Renaissance Golf are doing great things these days.

I look forward very much to getting into discussions and finding out new things on this board.  Also, if someone could help me with how you post pictures on here that would be great.  I think it has to do with using photobucket or flikr but I'm not sure.

Thanks all...
See you on the board!

Bill
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

PThomas

Re: New Member Intro
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 10:22:17 AM »
welcome Bill ..I had the great pleasure of playing Canterbury a few years ago

I dont have time now but can help you with Photobucket later...
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 10:26:06 AM »
Welcome Bill,

I thought that name was familiar and searching my inbox I saw your kind email from 18 months ago! Sorry again for not making it to Canterbury but have heard great things...

Enjoy GCA!
@Pure_Golf

Howard Riefs

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 10:31:38 AM »
Bill -

Welcome to GCA!

Also, if someone could help me with how you post pictures on here that would be great.  I think it has to do with using photobucket or flikr but I'm not sure.

Here's a tutorial on how to post photos via PhotoBucket:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=42160.0
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Bill McKinley

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 10:38:45 AM »
Goldy,

Great to hear that you're on here.  I still talk about your Pure Golf 2010 adventure to people.  What an amazing story.  If you guys write a book on it, I will be first in line to pick one up!

And even though you and JP didn't make it through Ohio, the offer still stands at Canterbury and other cool spots that we could get into.

Bill

Welcome Bill,

I thought that name was familiar and searching my inbox I saw your kind email from 18 months ago! Sorry again for not making it to Canterbury but have heard great things...

Enjoy GCA!
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Cory Lewis

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 10:43:27 AM »
Always great to see another PGA Professional join the group.  Welcome Bill
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 10:46:48 AM »
Bill, top stuff but it sounds like you'll need to give me plenty of shots.. Sheep stations and all.

I've been furiously writing today and hope to be in your part of the world with the finished product in about six months time.  Will keep in touch.

@Pure_Golf

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 01:23:25 PM »
Welcome Bill.

What are your other favorites in the Cleveland area? Any thoughts on Lakewood CC?
H.P.S.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 03:02:32 PM »
Welcome aboard Bill!  Are you originally from Ohio? 

Bill McKinley

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 06:00:37 PM »
Mark,

yes, i've lived in NE Ohio my whole life.  from the canton area originally.

Pat,

on lakewood.  I've only played it a couple of times, but I can remember that the bunker redo was very good and some of the length that was added really made it a stern test!  Our PGA Section Championship was there last year, but I had to miss it due to my Scotland trip with members from Canterbury.  Also, I remember that the greeen are usually really good thanks to some drainage work that was done a few years ago.  Canterbury is actually going to do the same type of work on some of our greens this winter.  Overall though on Lakewood, if I lived on the west side, it would be my club of choice.

thanks,
bill

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 06:23:28 PM »
Bill, where did you play in Scotland?  What did you like best?  Anything disappointing or overrated?   Anything astonishing?   Any hidden gems?

Welcome to the Treehouse!

Billsteele

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 08:34:49 PM »
Bill-If you grew up in Canton and your mother is an attorney, I know her well. We both do God's work. You (and she) know what that means. Welcome aboard.

Canterbury is a terrific golf course. The stretch of 16, 17 and 18 is wonderful and justly celebrated. However, I feel that 15 gets overlooked as a terrific golf hole. The false fronts at Canterbury are some of the best I have seen. I know that Lake Forest in Hudson is another Herbert Strong design. Any thoughts on how it compares to Canterbury? I have never seen it but it has intrigued me for several years.

What did you grow up playing in the Canton area?

Bill McKinley

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 08:13:03 AM »
Bill,

We had an unbelievable trip.  Loch Lomond, Carnoustie, 36 at Muirfield, New Course, Crail (Balcomie), Old Course, Kingsbarns, Turnberry (Alisa), and Royal Troon.

It's hard to pick the best but to me the day at Muirfield was awesome.  TOC is a special place too.

Royal Troon was a little disappointing for me.  There were some really good holes like 7,8,11.  But to me it wasn't on par with the rest of the rota courses that we played.  Could have been just because it was at the end of the trip and we were all tired but it wasn't anyone's fav.

Not sure if Crail would qualify as a hidden gem, but I hadn't heard much about it before we went over and came away very impressed.  What a fun golf course!

I hope to go back sometime within the next 5 years and hit up some of the northern spots like Dornoch, Aberdeen, Castle Staurt et al..

Cheers!
Bill

Bill, where did you play in Scotland?  What did you like best?  Anything disappointing or overrated?   Anything astonishing?   Any hidden gems?

Bill McKinley

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 08:22:14 AM »
Bill,

Yes, you are correct on you and my mother doing God's work!!
Canterbury is terrific because the more you play it, the more you love it.  The 4th hole there is just awesome, as well as the 5th.  You mentioned 15 too, which does get overlooked due to the upcoming finish across the road!

Lake Forest is a good layout with a bad tree problem.  It is so tight at spots and you can't get a good sense of the terrain due to all the trees.  If they would have an extensive tree removal project, I think it could be something really cool.  I'm also not a fan of the 10th hole there either.

I played most of my golf at Shady Hollow CC.  I worked there in the bag room, so everyday at 2:00 we were on the tee!  It was great.  I also played a fair share at Canton Brookside.  It's amazing the difference before and after the renovation there.

Talk to ya,
Bill

Bill-If you grew up in Canton and your mother is an attorney, I know her well. We both do God's work. You (and she) know what that means. Welcome aboard.

Canterbury is a terrific golf course. The stretch of 16, 17 and 18 is wonderful and justly celebrated. However, I feel that 15 gets overlooked as a terrific golf hole. The false fronts at Canterbury are some of the best I have seen. I know that Lake Forest in Hudson is another Herbert Strong design. Any thoughts on how it compares to Canterbury? I have never seen it but it has intrigued me for several years.

What did you grow up playing in the Canton area?

jonathan_becker

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 09:04:31 AM »
Bill McK,

Man, I've got that small world feeling with a few of you new guys.  I've played Shady Hollow at ton and it's a fun course.  But they are definitely due for some chainsaw work, especially on 3,4, and 7 to list a few holes.  The last time I went back to play I couldn't believe how small some of the greens were, too.  I obviously had forgotten, but the green on #6 is just a sliver of putting surface!  However, like I said it's fun and it has a neat routing going up and over some of the ridges on the property.  Plus, the plastic window in the mixed grill behind #9 green has probably been hit a million times over the years since it's situated right there.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 09:11:04 AM »
Bill,

We had an unbelievable trip.  Loch Lomond, Carnoustie, 36 at Muirfield, New Course, Crail (Balcomie), Old Course, Kingsbarns, Turnberry (Alisa), and Royal Troon.

It's hard to pick the best but to me the day at Muirfield was awesome.  TOC is a special place too.

Royal Troon was a little disappointing for me.  There were some really good holes like 7,8,11.  But to me it wasn't on par with the rest of the rota courses that we played.  Could have been just because it was at the end of the trip and we were all tired but it wasn't anyone's fav.

Not sure if Crail would qualify as a hidden gem, but I hadn't heard much about it before we went over and came away very impressed.  What a fun golf course!

I hope to go back sometime within the next 5 years and hit up some of the northern spots like Dornoch, Aberdeen, Castle Staurt et al..

Cheers!
Bill

Good trip!    The Balcomie is indeed a gem.    It's a shame you spent a day at Muirfield (one of my best days ever!) but didn't play North Berwick.   It's the favorite course of many who frequent this site.  But does sound like you saw a lot.   

Michael George

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 09:21:45 AM »

Bill:

Welcome to gca.com.  I cannot tell you how much I have enjoyed my time on the site.  I am sure that you will likewise enjoy it.  I sent you a PM but remembering that you are new, did not want to assume that you have figured out the site.

I am a fellow northeast Ohio guy and live down in Bath, Ohio - just south of Brecksville and Richfield.  When I am not on the road playing golf, I play mostly at Sharon GC, a stag club between Akron and Medina.  I would love to host you if you ever get a chance to come down.  They just punched the greens and tore up the driving range for a renovation so it may be best to wait until spring.

Growing up on Brookside must have been a real treat.  As my posts on this board reflect, I love that place.  I have not played Canterbury in several years (prior to my interest in gca).  However, I remember being impressed.  I agree 100% on your comments on Lake Forest.

Other than Canterbury, what are your favorites in northeast Ohio?
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Bill McKinley

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 04:31:07 PM »
Jonathan,

I haven't played Shady in a while and i was supposed to play in a tournament there this spring but it didn't work out.  I can remember back around 2000 guys talking about how much the 6th green had gotten smaller over the years, I bet it's still shirinking!

Bill McBride,

Yes North Berwick is definiely high up on the list of must plays in Scotland.  Original Redan hole and the stone wall on the front 9, Its gotta be awesome!

Michael George

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 04:56:51 PM »

After The Old Course and Muirfield, what is #3 in must plays in Scotland.  Tough call - Cruden Bay, North Berwick, Royal Dornoch, Carnoustie, Castle Stuart or Kingsbarns (or are they too new to be on this list).

I know this, my next trip is staying on the east coast.  I would rather go north to Cruden and Dornoch, then west to Troon and Prestwick.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

BHoover

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 10:58:55 PM »
Welcome aboard, Bill. I grew up in North Canton and now live in Columbus. But I played quite a bit at Brookside and Congress Lake growing up. Brookside is still my favorite in Ohio, and post-renovation, I think it's fantastic. Where and when did you go to school in Canton?

I haven't yet had the chance to play Canterbury, but I've heard great things. My neighbor goes up a few times each year to play. I keep trying to get him to take me along.

Your trip to Scotland sounds amazing.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 11:05:54 PM »
Welcome Bill

Did you know Terry your superintendent - I recall reading he retired
He was a super super

I visited several years ago
Keep up the great work

Cheers
Mike
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Bill McKinley

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 11:22:21 AM »
Brian,

I went to Jackson High School.  So, if you went to school at Hoover, I'm conditioned to not like you, Ha Ha!!

Mike,

Yes I worked at Canterbury when Terry was the super for 3 years until he retired at the end of 2009.  He was given an honorary membership by the club and he will play with our senior group on Wednesdays sometimes.  I always like to talk to Terry and get him to tell a few stories.  He's a great guy!

erichunter

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 11:34:44 AM »
Welcome aboard.  Canterbury is a great golf course.  Enjoyed caddying under the great Mike Kiely while in college.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back