News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Where to play between NYC and Virginia?
« on: October 10, 2011, 02:44:58 PM »
Chris Shaida and I are driving down to Roanoke from NYC on Wed morning October 26 for the Dixie Cup. We want to play somewhere early Wed afternoon to break up the drive to Virginia.

Any suggestions?

We were thinking maybe one of the following:
Stonewall - 130 miles from NYC and then 360 miles to Roanoke
Hidden Creek - 130 miles from NYC and then 410 miles to Roanoke
Four Streams - 270 miles from NYC and then 240 miles to Roanoke
Atlantic City Country Club 130 miles from NYC and then 420 to Roanoke

I think we would really like as close to a 50/50 split on the drive as possible, so Four Streams might be the leading candidate so far.

What say you?

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Cory Lewis

Re: Where to play between NYC and Virginia?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 02:59:05 PM »
BCC would be my suggestion.  Creighton farms and RTJ are just off 66, if your taking 66 to 81 to get to Roanoke that would be good.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 03:01:51 PM »
Cory beat me to it.

My first choice might be Hidden Creek, but a close second would be Baltimore Country Club (195 from NYC then 279 to Roanoke)

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 03:22:42 PM »
Bulle Rock

Michael George

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 03:34:49 PM »

Mr. Whitaker:

Isn't this akin to Hugh Hefner asking for advice on women???  In fact, if I have questions of where to play, you are definitely top 10 responses on this board.   

However, while I have never been there, I have wanted to check out the Lansdowne Resort, in Leesburg, Va.  2 courses and 9 hole course by Norman.  Just a different suggestion from the GD and Golf rankings (BCC, Caves Valley, Bulle Rock, RTJ).

I hope all of you guys have a great time at The Dixie Cup.  Looks like you are in for a special week.

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Jim Franklin

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 03:55:35 PM »
Let me know if BCC fits and I will arrange.
Mr Hurricane

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 04:07:21 PM »
Michael, if you check Google Maps, you will see the direct route is west of NYC, on I-76, then south on I-81.  Going down I-95 to Baltimore will add hours as Roanoke is so far west.

Winchester, VA is just under 5 hours.  Here's a list of courses:  http://www.google.com/search?q=Winchester%2C+VA+golf&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.yahoo:en-US:official&client=firefox.  Some are right by I-81.

A really fun and fast little course is a bit farther south, Shenvalee in Newmarket VA.   Son David plays in his buddy Herbie's member guest there every year and really enjoys it.   http://shenvalee.com/Shenvalee_Golf_Courses.html    Again, it's right off I-81.   5-1/2 hours.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 04:10:55 PM »
Actually it's only 50 minutes less on the I-76/I-81 route (7:43 to 8:22) but there are many more gridlock opportunities on I-95/I-66/I-81.   :o

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 05:35:40 PM »
Michael:

I wouldn't go via Atlantic City, that's well out of your way.

Stonewall or Lancaster CC [though both are private] would be right on your way.  I don't know exactly where Olde Farm is, but that's got to be a possibility, too.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 05:51:14 PM »
Michael:

I wouldn't go via Atlantic City, that's well out of your way.

Stonewall or Lancaster CC [though both are private] would be right on your way.  I don't know exactly where Olde Farm is, but that's got to be a possibility, too.

Tom, if Michael only had time for one round at Stomewall, which course would you suggest?

I believe Lancaster is closed for the rest of the season as they are re- grassing their greens.  Rory?
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 07:05:58 PM »
Michael:

Stay away from I-95 and go south to Roanoke via I-81.  This was my preferred route to Columbia SC when in school, unless I was to pass DC after 8:00 pm or before 7:00AM.  DC traffic is the definition of gridlock.

Knowing that you are on a Doak kick this year my suggestion is to head in the direction of Elverson PA.  Try to see if you can play one and take a walk/ride around the other two. 

In close vicinity is Reading CC which is a public Findlay course that is a bit short for some but a real challenge for all.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »
Going to Cascades would be well past the halfway point and would add a couple hours, but it's the Cascades and is wonderful.

The best way to go is I-78 to I-81.  If you're on 78 near lunchtime, exit 49A going west will take you to Yocco's, which has some of the best (and cheapest!) hot dogs on the planet  ;D.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 08:10:10 PM »
Michael, if you check Google Maps, you will see the direct route is west of NYC, on I-76, then south on I-81.  Going down I-95 to Baltimore will add hours as Roanoke is so far west.

Winchester, VA is just under 5 hours.  Here's a list of courses:  http://www.google.com/search?q=Winchester%2C+VA+golf&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.yahoo:en-US:official&client=firefox.  Some are right by I-81.

A really fun and fast little course is a bit farther south, Shenvalee in Newmarket VA.   Son David plays in his buddy Herbie's member guest there every year and really enjoys it.   http://shenvalee.com/Shenvalee_Golf_Courses.html    Again, it's right off I-81.   5-1/2 hours.

It's been awhile since i've made this drive (use to make a regualr family trip from Phila. to Memphis), but going down I95 to Balto. and around the beltway shouldn't add more than 1/2 hr.-45 mins. comapred to the other way.  And, if golf's the missions then this is far richer in terms of opportunity.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 08:11:28 PM »

And, would suggest BCC or based on what i've heard, Caves Valley as must-sees.

WW
It's been awhile since i've made this drive (use to make a regualr family trip from Phila. to Memphis), but going down I95 to Balto. and around the beltway shouldn't add more than 1/2 hr.-45 mins. comapred to the other way.  And, if golf's the missions then this is far richer in terms of opportunity.

Michael George

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 09:06:29 PM »
Michael:

I think Joe is correct.  I believe Lancaster is closed for the season (despite it not being the end of the golf season - as fully explored in another string).

Cascades is a a world class lay-out (simply great routing and design).  However, I played there 2 months ago and in its current condition, it is not worth going that out of your way.  If they cleared about 500 trees, pumped water through the dried up streams and maintained the course in a much better condition, it would be a must stop.  Unfortunately, those are not the current state of things.

I did some digging on golf courses that are very close to the freeway (did not want you going much more than 15 minutes off the freeway) and seem to offer more than the normal track.  Boy was I disappointed in my research.  Looked up over 40 courses and not much there.  

Best seems to be Fountain Head CC in Hagerstown.  It was designed by Donald Ross and boasts about being nearly unaltered from his original design.  Web site has some nice quotes from big names in golf.  Might be worth a look.  Only other option that looked appealing close to the route was The Golf Club at Felicita in Harrisburg, PA.   Again, I have never played either, but thought it would be fun to do some research.

Good luck guys.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 09:54:30 PM »
If you are going to drive, golf, drive, put the golf closer to the start than the finish. Less stiffness.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 10:01:51 PM »

Agreed, unless I-95 around Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC I-495 and 66 have traffic problems.  The western route I-76/I-81 avoids all that.  I used to live in Northern Virginia and doubt that gridlock has changed during the intervening 16 years.   

But that's just me.   

JESII

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011, 10:06:18 PM »
The fact that it even crossed your mind to check out Atlantic City "on the way" to Roanoke from NYC is mindboggling...in a good way...have fun wherever you go.

Jimmy Chandler

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2011, 11:19:13 PM »
Michael --

Bill is correct about the traffic along I-95. Unless you are driving in the middle of the night, you will run into congestion that could slow you down by 30 minutes to 2+ hours, depending on the situation. I've made this drive many times in the past few years, and the congestion only gets worse. If you can avoid this route, do so.

Another course to consider, just 20-minutes or so from I-81, is Shenandoah Valley Golf Club near Front Royal, VA. Fun little 27-hole course with some quirk. Not challenging for a scratch or very-low handicap golfer, but should be interesting for almost anyone else. Better than Shenvalee IMHO.

http://shenandoahvalleygolfclub.com/golf-virginia-public-golf-course

scott_wood

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2011, 11:49:57 PM »
And Saucon is only 7minutes  off I-78.......best course "on the drive".....

Craig Disher

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 11:00:02 AM »
That's solid advice on avoiding I95 especially around DC/Baltimore. I81 is longer in distance but will save you much time - unless you plan on driving between 9PM and 6AM.

If you take that route you'll be well positioned to visit Fountain Head CC. Ron Forse restored the course several years ago and I don't think it's visited all that often; a very friendly staff and low-key atmosphere.  I'd also recommend Shenandoah Valley GC which I've played with Peter a couple of times. Some very good holes, excellent conditions and views, and quite inexpensive.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2011, 12:06:30 PM »
You would be crazy not to take Jim Franklin up on his offer to play BCC! Classic Tillinghast.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2011, 12:46:15 PM »
I don't know exactly where Olde Farm is, but that's got to be a possibility, too.

Tom,

Olde Farm is well past Roanoke....almost to Tennessee.  It's between Abingdon and Bristol and just down the street from Fazio's The Virginian.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
From BCC you go out 70 and down 81 to avoid DC traffic.
Mr Hurricane

Bill_McBride

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2011, 02:40:27 PM »
From BCC you go out 70 and down 81 to avoid DC traffic.

This might not be terrible as you will bypass Philadelphia, leave I-95 before the Baltimore harbor tunnel  :o and bypass DC north en route to I-81, avoiding DC and I-95/495/66 entirely.   :o

Google Maps says NYC - Baltimore CC 3:45 and BCC - Ballyhack 5 hrs, total almost nine hours driving.

Plus you get to play Five Farms!   8)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back