News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Mingay

Three days in and around London...
« on: October 01, 2011, 11:53:47 AM »
To all of you London (UK) area experts, which are the essential golf courses to see (not necessarily play) with three days in the London area?

(With a feeling I'm missing an important one) my short list, in no particular order, includes:

Sunningdale - Old and New
New Zealand
Woking
Swinley Forest
St. George's Hill
Walton Heath
Huntercombe

Any thoughts are appreciated.
jeffmingay.com

JNC Lyon

Re: Three days in and around London...
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 12:21:16 PM »
Addington is a great one--I'd say play it, and play it more than once.

Deal and Sandwich are worth a trip.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Dale Jackson

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 12:38:22 PM »
Jeff, I am not the expert on the area that others are, but the heathland courses to the South seem to be quite unique and worthy of study.  I think you have listed most of the important ones. One that I have seen and found fascinating is West Sussex.  There is a par 3 on the front nine (6 perhaps), that I thought especially good.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 12:48:06 PM »
Jeff having played Liphook with the Buda guys it has a tremendous set greens and solid bunkering. Whilst a little further out it is like most of the heaths and trainable.

Swinley is worth seeing as a virtually untouched Colt. A letter to Stuart Zuill the secretary should secure a tee time or if quiet a walking visit.

Huntercombe is not only unique but also affords a great study in how tree removal could improve a course.

Walton Heath goes against the grain with wonderful healthland turf and an inland links feel whilst having the wrong (clay) soil for it's genre.
Cave Nil Vino

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 01:13:02 PM »
Jeff,

From a study trip point of view, I'd go with:

Woking - Green Complexes
New Zealand - Bunkering
Walton Heath - Best example of open heath (though some holes at Hankley Common and Sunningdale New also offer up that feel)
Sunningdale Old & New - Because it's Sunningdale
Huntercombe - Haven't seen it but everyone here is certainly selling it to me. Original design touched less. In need of tree clearing (say the masses)
Swinley Forest or St George's Hill - For Harry Colt

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »
The Addington and Liphook are excellent suggestions which I've considered. Thanks. West Sussex, too.
jeffmingay.com

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 12:15:54 AM »
From a Heathlands POV
Sunningdale
Swinley
West Sussex

From a Links POV
Royal St G
Deal
Rye

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 04:28:13 AM »
West Sussex is a favourite but it's a pain to get to, IMHO it's one to savour when you have time rather than a quick visit on a time constrained trip.

With Deal and Sandwich you have the option of playing 18 on each (expensive) or 18/36 on one and still have time to walk the other in the early evening. It makes a big day but if you are on the train you can snooze in each direction.
Cave Nil Vino

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 06:46:58 AM »
Jeff,

I walked Royal Ashdown Forest a few weeks ago. There are no bunkers but I think that if you played it you almost wouldn't know because there are so many alternative hazards.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 09:22:40 AM »
Mike,

Ashdown Forest has long been on my radar, for the reason you describe - no bunkers but replete with hazards. How cool is that. Great suggestion.
jeffmingay.com

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 11:28:53 AM »
Mike - at your level the lack of bunkers must be a distinct disadvantage, little grassy and heathery hollows must be far harder to save par from than a standard bunker. Like Rye a day at RAF is stepping back in time.
Cave Nil Vino

Dale Jackson

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 08:11:22 PM »
Jeff, et. al. Ashdown Forest slipped my mind and I would certainly add that to the list.  Especially for an archie it must make for fascinating study.  Mark, I think we North Americans must approach driving in the UK differently, I did not find it hard to get to.  But then on this side of the pond driving a couple of hundred miles, playing 18 and then driving home on the same day is not uncommon!
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 04:15:35 AM »
Dale - I though about joining West Sussex as it's a great course and club plus I only live 40 miles away (crow flies) and the rate is under $1000pa. However I have yet to get there in under 90 minutes!

Don't forget I live 75 miles driving from Deal and that's quicker than West Sussex. Fortunately I tend to get the train to Deal which allows the Kummel to digest safely.
Cave Nil Vino

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 04:25:15 AM »
Mark,

It surely didn't look any easier for no bunkers. I didn't play but there are some very difficult shots and situations around the greens.
I think it is well worth the effort to get there.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 11:42:06 AM »
If you follow Brian's advice there is only one option, Sunningdale is simply one of the world's finest clubs.
Cave Nil Vino

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 12:22:17 PM »
Whilst agreeing partially with Brian's synopsis, you certainly need to break Woking out because of the greens...

Heathland greens are as a collective not particularly inspiring. Woking is an exception. Plus the 4th hole is where man-made strategy began.

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 10:48:52 PM »
Sunningdale - Old and New
St. George's Hill
Walton Heath

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 03:37:55 AM »
New Zealand is a real charmer.   Every hole is isolated from the others with a couple of exceptions where greens converge within sight of each other.  For a course of modest length it plays long - five par 4's over 400 yds, only one par 5.   The par 3's are very good, ranging from 107 yds yesterday to 200 yds.  Bring your straight tee ball, the heather is ubiquitous, lots of hunting.  
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:07:40 PM by Bill_McBride »

Dan Boerger

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 08:42:30 AM »
Bill - Glad to hear that. I'm scheduled to play New Zealand, St. George's Hill and Rye later this month. Really looking forward to it!
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 10:09:48 PM »
Bill - Glad to hear that. I'm scheduled to play New Zealand, St. George's Hill and Rye later this month. Really looking forward to it!

Good news, played Rye Saturday, in great condition, i.e. fast as lightning!   You'll have fun.  Littlestone fun too, very firm.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back