News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Pine Valley and the great lies in golf
« on: September 22, 2011, 11:44:53 AM »
No, not the myth about the train,

Many, when discussing Pine Valley focus on the width of the fairways or the nature of the greens from a putting, recovery and approaching perspective, but, few if any ever discuss the variety in the lies one experiences at PV.

While the first hole appears flat, the DZ is sloped, high left to low right.
The 2nd is uphill.
The 4th has so many different slopes, depending upon where your drive ends up that it can't be restricted to a single slope.
The 5th is uphill
The 6th is relatively flat, but, the DZ just over the gaping fall off, is sloped.
The 7th is probably one of the flattest DZ's on the golf course
The 8th has many slopes, depending upon where your drive ends up.
The 9th, while not severe, has mild downhill, sidehill, uphill and flat lies
The 11th has many different slopes in the DZ
The 12th, like the 7th is perhaps the flatest on the course.
The 13th is relatively flat in the middle and right, but, uphill, downhill and sidehill slopes abound.
The 15th has sidehill uphill in the First DZ and very sidehill, uphill and downhill in the second DZ.
The 16th has mostly sidehill-downhill slopes
The 17th has mostly uphill-sidehill slopes
The 18th has mostly sidehill-downhill slopes.

Now, all of these fairways are very generous and as such, one side/location of the fairway can have a totally different lies than other fairway locations.

I think this variety, within each hole, and collectively, provides a unique challenge.

Many, many years ago, Jay Segal told me to use a driver off of # 8 tee so that my ball would come to rest on the slight upslope in front of the green, instead of on the downhill-sidehill portion of the fairway, leaving me a very easy approach, compared to an approach that could easily get away from you.  Better to have an uphill sandwedge (lob wedges hadn't been invented yet) than a downhill wedge or 9-iron.

# 11 offers a nice uphill launch pad in the DZ on the left, but, to to far and the trees on the left block the shot, forcing you to hit a very high shot in order to get over them.

Likewise # 17, hit driver and get as close to the green as possible with a sand wedge.

Playing with two very good golfers, who've been playing PV for over 30 years, both said to me that the great, great majority of their approaches on # 17 came up short.  Now that's not a bad thing if you hit the green because it's steeply sloped, but, if you come up short of the green, it can be a difficult recovery.  Both of these fellows were 0 handicaps for many years and still maintain 2 and 4 handicaps.

Perhaps one of the most challenging lies on the golf course is the approach lie on # 15 as the land, which generally goes uphill toward the hole, can fall sideways, steeply away from you, leaving you a very dicey approach to a difficult green.   Ergo, some golfers lay back on their second, prefering to have a longer shot, but a relatively flatter lie.  By accident, I left myself 180 from the green and hit a nice 3-iron 15 feet.  On the next day I hit much closer to the green but had a far more difficult lie, resulting in a thin shot that landed just short of the green (not a bad place to be with a center hole location).

Very challenging lies can be presented to the golfer on # 4, # 8, # 11, # 13, # 15, # 16, # 17 and # 18.

The variety in the lies is quite unique.

Off the top of my head, other than NGLA, on courses with wide fairways, I can't think of many that have that variety. 

In GENERAL, Has there been a tendency, in the name of "fairness" to eliminate the roller coaster nature of fairway DZ's to accomodate the broader spectrum of golfer in the modern era ?.

Anthony Gray

Re: Pine Valley and the great lies in golf
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 11:58:36 AM »

This course sounds like crap.

Anthony

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 12:10:15 PM »
I would quibble with you that this variety of lies is unique.  I think it is true of many courses built on hilly ground.  My two home courses are both like that.  And, certainly, many of the links courses of the world would have a great variety of uneven lies of all types.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 12:18:23 PM »
I would quibble with you that this variety of lies is unique.  I think it is true of many courses built on hilly ground.  My two home courses are both like that.  And, certainly, many of the links courses of the world would have a great variety of uneven lies of all types.

Rather than deal with vague generalizations for comparitive purposes, could you list the courses you're referencing.

Never having played Pine Valley, how can you quantify and qualify the degree of the slopes when comparing them to others ?

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 12:26:49 PM »

Sorry, I didn't realize you wanted to limit this thread only to those who have played PV.   ???

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 01:10:45 PM »

Sorry, I didn't realize you wanted to limit this thread only to those who have played PV.   ???

No that's Okay, but, I certainly don't want to tilt with or about unknown golf courses.

If you'll identify them, we can make a qualitative and quantitative analysis or comparison, or both ;D

Why are you reluctant to identify the courses you referenced ?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 01:17:03 PM »
Patrick links golf can give you uphill, downhill and sidehill lies all within 10 square yards. I'm more likely to notice a very flat course than one such as Pine Valley with a nice bit variation.
Cave Nil Vino

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 02:16:48 PM »
OK, Patrick, here are three representative examples:

The Club at Bond Head - North.  Based on elevation change alone, it is a more severe property than PV.  There are many uphill, sidehill and downhill lies throughout the course.

Royal Aberdeen - lots of ups and downs over dunes with humps and bumps in the fairways thrown in for fun.

North Berwick

I'm not interested in debating the relative merits of these courses or others compared to PV.  It is ranked number 1 for a reason.  But the kind of lies it provides - as you've described - are not unique.  It's a big golf world out there.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 02:23:27 PM »
Bryan,

Which ones are your two home courses ?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 05:44:22 PM »
Patrick I spent a few days at Pine Valley a couple of weeks ago and am a member of a links course so I'm happy for you to try and bully me on this topic.

Delighted to talk about National as well or any links course you care to mention.
Cave Nil Vino

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 06:23:29 PM »
Patrick I spent a few days at Pine Valley a couple of weeks ago and am a member of a links course so I'm happy for you to try and bully me on this topic.

Delighted to talk about National as well or any links course you care to mention.

Plus you're probably packing, right?   ;D

JESII

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 06:33:28 PM »
Keep in mind Mark, he threw in the "wide fairways" quaifier...I'v seen it as much as you. He's referrng to courses with the exact fairway width as PV...really the only way to compare apples to apples...haha

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 07:39:14 PM »
Eastward Ho! is certainly way up there:

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 11:43:06 PM »
Keep in mind Mark, he threw in the "wide fairways" quaifier...I'v seen it as much as you. He's referrng to courses with the exact fairway width as PV...really the only way to compare apples to apples...haha

Jim,

I didn't "throw in" the wide fairways comment, that was an integral part of the design at PV, WIDE fairways.

You'll also notice that I referenced the "modern era" or did you over look that

Mark Chaplin,

Would you identify the course you belong to.
It's hard to discuss or debate the issue when a phantom, unknown course is introduced.

Bryan Izatt,

How hard is it for you to identify the two courses you belong to, that you referenced ?
Can't take more than 20 seconds to respond.
Why the silence ?.

And, one fairway isn't a good example.
Anyone can show a single fairway with slope and/or contour.
My reference was to systemic slopes/contours on almost all holes.

Tim Bert

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 12:03:32 AM »
Patrick - I'd say that many of the finest modern era courses feature very wide fairways that also present a tremendous variety in lies.  I'll throw out Ballyneal, Sand Hills, and Kingsley to start.  I'm most familiar with Kingsley, but I recall the other two having an amazing amount of fairway movement as well.  Very few perfectly level lies found in the DZs of those courses.

I haven't played Pine Valley, so I can't say whether they have more, less, or the same variety, but I can't remember the last time I played Kingsley where I didn't encounter multiple downhill, sidehill, or uphill lies in the fairway throughout the course of the round.

I agree with you that this makes the round very enjoyable, even for a less skilled player like me!

As for the GENERAL trend you mention, I'm not sure I have a broad enough experience to agree or disagree.  I will acknowledge that I'm very narrowly focused on some of the best modern courses, but I'd also point out that you are using Pine Valley and NGLA as your prime examples, which aren't exactly average courses or slouches!

Good topic.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 02:50:45 AM »
Patrick,

Patience.  I have a life other than posting on GCA. 

The first picture above is from one of my home courses.  It was built 5 years ago, so it's modern.  It has wide fairways for the most part.  There are 75 foot elevation changes on single holes.  There are streams and swamps and pine forests.  And, it has severe hilly lies throughout.  Even misses around greens often provide severe uphill lies.  Of course, since you haven't seen it, you can't really comment.  ;)

But, for your enjoyment, here are some pics.

Look at the 7th green perched up above the 8th stairstep tees.  Some pretty severe lies if you miss that green.

Come up and visit sometime and enjoy the lies.

Bruce Leland

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 08:50:45 PM »
I will attest to the fact that Bond Head North has more than it's fair share of uneven lies! 
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Scott Warren

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 09:05:52 PM »
Patrick,

I agree that among Pine Valley's many qualities, the variety of lies and the way they work with the shot you're playing from them is amazing -- some highlights being the approaches on 4, 8, 15, 16 and 18.

I see Chaplin's point re: R. Cinque Ports and other links, but I would say that on links you generally find all manners of lie within a few feet of each other. It's the randomness of links golf, as Mark notes, whereas with PV, for example, it's a range of lies that are more generally/regularly experienced on a given shot -- and for example on that awkward, delicate half wedge from a downhill lie to a tiny green at the 8th, the combination of all the ingredients help to make the shot so special.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 09:46:28 AM by Scott Warren »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 09:33:04 PM »
Patrick,

Patience.  I have a life other than posting on GCA. 

The first picture above is from one of my home courses.  It was built 5 years ago, so it's modern.  It has wide fairways for the most part.  There are 75 foot elevation changes on single holes.  There are streams and swamps and pine forests.  And, it has severe hilly lies throughout.  Even misses around greens often provide severe uphill lies. 

Of course, since you haven't seen it, you can't really comment.  ;)

You're 100 % correct.
I can't comment on the architecture and how the course plays, but, the pictures seem to reveal a good deal of variety.
Looks like a neat course to play on a daily basis.
Where is it.

But, for your enjoyment, here are some pics.

Look at the 7th green perched up above the 8th stairstep tees.  Some pretty severe lies if you miss that green.

Come up and visit sometime and enjoy the lies.

Which ones ? ;D

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2011, 09:34:32 PM »
Brian - That looks like a helluva golf course with a tremendous variety of lies.

Unfortunately, I can not comment on PV - never having played there ;)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2011, 09:43:26 PM »
Jay Segal? Is that the back-to-back, US amateur martial artist movie champion?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 10:44:46 PM »
With respect to awkward or difficult lies, most golfers don't like them.

At numerous green committee and board meetings I've heard members advocate flattening certain fairways that contain these uneven or awkward lies.

Pine Valley was designed for championship play, for hard core golfers, not the broad spectrum of golfer found at most clubs.

Bryan & Mike Sweeney,

Would you say that the courses depicted in the photos you posted represent, in terms of lies:

1     The great majority of courses
2     The great majority of modern courses
3     The majority of courses
4     The majority of modern courses.
5     The minority of courses
6     The minority of modern courses.

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 11:22:15 PM »
Pat,

Damn! next time I'll try the driver on 8 at PVGC. Makes sense!

I have always played "conservatively" and laid up with a 200-225 yd tee shot. Never made par!

Please thank Jay Sigel for the tip!

Malcolm

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2011, 11:28:58 PM »
Malcolm,

For years I layed back with irons and 4-woods.

When Jay gave me that tip my first thought was, hmmm, there is an upslope short of the green which acts as a mini backstop, and, if my ball goes through the fairway, so what, I'll just have a long bunker or recovery shot.

I can't tell you how many mis-hit approaches I hit off that downhill-sidehill lie into that tiny green, from a distance that was far enough away to cause me trouble, when I layed up.

But, with a driver rolling down and onto that nice upslope, the approach was mentally and physically an easier shot.

I recently learned that you can NOT go right of the 1st green.
Left is recoverable, right is disaster.

PV is a little like NGLA in that there are local knowledge shots that make playing PV a tad easier.

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2011, 11:48:07 PM »
Pat,

Amazing!

The member who brings me to PVGC is about to log his 40th year milestone and yet has never divulged that tip you just let loose regarding managing number 8.

I'm not sure he knows it but I will find out and let you know. Unfortunately, he is passed his prime and can't hit it that far anymore. I just arranged and played with him at an outing at Myopia Hunt this Wednesday and he had a miserable time trying to hit it past the fescue to the fairway.

What other tips ya got?

Have you heard about Sean Connery as a playing partner at PVGC?, not good.

Malcolm

Malcolm

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back