News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Which golf course architects are which musician?
« on: September 19, 2011, 09:52:06 PM »
http://jayflemma.thegolfspace.com/?p=3884

Just a fun little piece.  I might try "Which courses are straight out of 'Lord of the Rings '" next time, for fun of course.

From the article:

"Yes meets Jeff Buckley – Mike Strantz. Yes was always an acquired taste, one that, like Rush and old Genesis, made demands on the ear and required a tolerance for long, intricate songs that sometimes made no complete sense to anyone but the band (but you, of course, could interpret it however you wanted). Weird things like “The Gates of Delirium” or anything off Tales from Topographic Oceans, would get mixed in with rocking songs like “Roundabout” or “Going for the One.” It was eclectic, to be sure, but intricate, artistic, and intelligent. They were the proggiest of the prog rock bands that got noticed by the zeitgeist.

Some of Mike Strantz’s golf holes look like they belong on the cover of Yes albums. 11 at Monterey Peninsula Country Club and much of Tobacco Road leap to mind immediately.

“I’ve never seen anything like it,” people always say. It was bold, intelligent, visually arresting, and outstanding golf.

Strantz was also as incendiary a talent as Jeff Buckley. He was great right out of the gate, dominating the landscape even in places formerly unassailable. Caledonia is the best course in Myrtle Beach. Tobacco Road is the only course to give Pinehurst No. 2 a run for its money, and Monterey Peninsula Shore Course fits perfectly between Pebble Beach and Cypress Point. Buckley, you may recall was a SONY artist put on their Legacy label right away, home of some of history’s greatest musicians across any genre or time period.

When asked the secret to his high-energy, emotion-ripping concert performances, Buckley said “It’s like long distance running. Just keep going until you can’t go any further. Then go further, because the moves you make then – when you’ve run out of steam and you’re totally on subconscious and not even thinking about the mechanics – the moves you make then are incredible.”
Buckley was talking about himself, but he was speaking for any true artist, any true trailblazer, any true maverick. Yes, even a golf course architect. Both his body of work and Mike’s are bold examples of what can be accomplished if you think outside the box. Sadly, like Jeff Buckley, we lost Mike to oral cancer far too soon, in the height of his ascension. The golf world mourns the loss of Strantz like it mourns the loss of Buckley – my God, what might have been.

Also like Buckley, we don’t think his work is better simply because he’s dead."
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

David Kelly

Re: Which golf course architects are which musician?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 10:14:15 PM »
Charles Blair Macdonald = Fletcher Henderson
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 10:27:50 PM »
I think CBM's contribution is even bigger -  broader in scope, more far-reaching and certainly more culturally identifiable.  If he were a Jazz musician, might he be Miles? Or Coltrane?  Still, I think he and Raynor and Banks are the Stones, for the reasons I outline.

David, then who would be Django?

Love "Minor Swing"
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

David Harshbarger

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 10:28:19 PM »
Charles Blair Macdonald = Fletcher Henderson

Does that make Raynor = Armstrong?
 Or would that be Tillinghast?

RTJ = Sinatra
Dick Wilson = Dean Martin
Coore and Crenshaw or Doak, which is Radiohead?

The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 10:41:53 PM »
The minimalist movement IS golf's rejoinder to punk rock.

David Kelly

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 10:42:24 PM »
Fletcher Henderson basically invented the templates that were the basis of big band jazz and swing music.  What we think of when we think of big band music, swing music and large jazz orchestras was developed by Henderson and his arranger Don Redman (his Raynor).
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

David Harshbarger

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 10:42:43 PM »
I think CBM's contribution is even bigger -  broader in scope, more far-reaching and certainly more culturally identifiable.  If he were a Jazz musician, might he be Miles? Or Coltrane?  Still, I think he and Raynor and Banks are the Stones, for the reasons I outline.

David, then who would be Django?

Love "Minor Swing"

Miles was in the vanguard of multiple movements in Jazz.  Who else has been relevant like that, Pete Dye?

Would MacKenzie be Coltrane?  
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Keith Cutten

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 10:43:14 PM »
Rod Whitman = Bob Dylan  
"Excellence of design is more felt than fully realized." - Alister MacKenzie - The Spirit of St. Andrews

David Kelly

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 10:46:09 PM »
Miles would be a little like Pete Dye in that he employed a lot of great musicians over the years and his late period was unfortunate.

David Harshbarger

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 10:51:01 PM »
The minimalist movement IS golf's rejoinder to punk rock.

I haven't seen Punk in Golf, other than Ondawa Greens in my neck of the woods, which is golf in the raw if there ever was.  Minimalism to me is a reaction to corporate pop like Britney Spears, Michael Jackson, and the 80's hair bands.

Minimalist is sophisticated and subtle, rich in nuance.  Radiohead.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 10:57:04 PM »
Radiohead makes you a zombie ;D  I love rock, but I find 90% of that unlistenable.

Dye is Pink Floyd.  And what was punk rock?  A reaction against the path of mainstream popular music.  C&C are Foo Fighters! ;D

David Harshbarger

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 11:07:15 PM »
Foo Fighters?  Are you kidding?  C&C should take you down high and low for that. And yes, punk was the reaction to the bloated rock of the late 70's, it was also short, crude, and in your face.  I can see Dye as Floyd. Beautifully sculpted with a personal vision.

Could the minimalists be gasp the Beatles?

Jay Flemma

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 11:15:30 PM »
No.  Mackenzie is the Beatles.  Dude, read the article and you'll get what I mean.

And I'm sorry, but Bill Coore IS David Grohl, just minus the white t-shirt, rock hands, bad tribal art tatts and chewing gum.  Now excuse me while I go crank "The Colour and the Shape" ;D

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 11:43:30 PM »
Classical - the Scottish ODGs

Jazz - the American ODGs, with Django being CBM, Miles being MacKenzie and Armstrong being Ross (American meaning where the bulk of their work was done)

Robert Johnson - Crump

50's/60's Jersey Boys Style - any GCA from that era, including RTJ Sr.

Chuck Berry - Pete Dye (an argument here for Elvis)

Neil Diamond - Tom Fazio

John Tesh - RTJ Jr.

Nirvana - C&C

Pearl Jam - Doak

Guns 'n Roses - Strantz

Phish - Mike Devries

Avett Brothers - Hixson

Mumford & Sons - Bunker Hill

The one I struggle with is Nicklaus.  Could be the Beatles based on the catalog, but lacks the genre creation and the career morph.  Is he enough of a common man to be Bruce?  Is he the hardest working man in the golf business, thus James Brown?  I think the best match is U2, and their careers probably track each other pretty well.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

David Harshbarger

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 11:52:29 PM »
The Phish thing I'm mixed on.  The 1988 Halloween show at the Chance we left after the first set.  The bouncing on trampolines....uninspiring.  But maybe 2nd place in the costume contest sealed it.  Heard a live version of Cities the other day on the radio and that was a plus.  Engh as Talking Heads, a plus for him.

Emmet as Billy Joel? Hey, I sang those songs with my mom, too.  But can't Emmet be more? Like Steely Dan?  We sang those songs too, the lyrics that made sense, but the punch left a bigger mark, if you looked in the right light.

And Radiohead is the Internet band.  Download an album, pay what you want.  How could that be more anti-corporate.  And the music is difficult, like Coltrane must have been, or Coleman, Davis Bitches Brew, Terry Reilly,  and John Cage.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 09:21:27 AM »
Fletcher Henderson basically invented the templates that were the basis of big band jazz and swing music.  What we think of when we think of big band music, swing music and large jazz orchestras was developed by Henderson and his arranger Don Redman (his Raynor).

Nice. True, I think.  If Armstrong created the words/language, Henderson codified the forms/arrangements.  Goodman rarely failed to mention Henderson's arrangements as a big reason for the band's success (and BG didn't often praise others - only when he meant it).

I'll take a stab and say C&C are like Lester Young, cool, sweet-toned and hewing close to the melody. JN I think might be Glenn Miller.

Peter

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 09:27:29 AM »
Nicklaus is Elvis.

Tim Martin

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 09:38:26 AM »
Mike Strantz is the Ramones. Loud and in your face.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 09:41:46 AM »
If I had only played Ballyneal I would say that Doak is Frank Zappa.

PCCraig

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 09:42:41 AM »
Why is the link to your blog necessary?
H.P.S.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 09:49:04 AM »
Because that's how Ran specifically told me to do it.

Dave Falkner

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 10:18:59 AM »
Jay jay jay

Phish-"showing everyone that all the mainstream artistic concepts and business models they had merely accepted as “the way things are done,” were in fact banal, and that there was a better way."

how can that be when Phish is a lyrically bankrupt take off on the greatest band of all time  The Grateful Dead  unless your presmise is that Doak is CBM Lite

I would say CBM is the Grateful Dead- he like they incorporated all types of element from various sources and used those templates to create near perfection

while the Dead mined bluegrass folk jazz the Blues, early rock and roll, world music, classical and electronic music  ( Phil Lesh studied with Luciano Berio) CBM and his cohorts went to GB&I and studied the great holes and made them their own

Phish?!?!?!?!?!  pha!

Really  the lyrics of Phish are so goddamned inane that they take them  out of any serious discussion 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 10:24:51 AM by Dave Falkner »

Jay Flemma

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 11:04:14 AM »
Dave, Dave, Dave ;D

Dude, you know nothing about Phish! ;D  The old songs - maybe.  But they've become more poignant as time has gone on,  But the guitar playing blows Garcia away.  They sing better than the Dead, and they are far more imaginative.  They've played The Beatles, the Stones, Floyd, Heads, and others on Halloween start to finish.  The Dead have problems playing their own songs start to finish, and as for that "rip off the Dead argument" - they only stole their phans ;D ;D

Jud_T

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2011, 11:08:22 AM »

Pearl Jam - Doak

Phish - Mike Devries

Don't both of these guys deserve better?

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jay Flemma

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2011, 11:16:03 AM »
That's why Doak got Phish.

DeVries...good question.  He'll have to wait for volume 2?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back