News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Richmond Vicinity Golf
« on: September 15, 2011, 01:36:37 PM »
I'm thinking about staying over after Dixie Cup and visiting the site of General Lee's greatest victory and the untimely demise of Stonewall Jackson.  Cannon Ridge by Weed/Beaman looks intriguing.  How about Mattaponi Springs and Royal New Kent?  Anything else recommended in the area?

Bogey
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 02:01:39 PM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Steve D

Re: Richmond Vicinity Golf
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 02:21:43 PM »
I think Spring Creek in Gordonsville is worth a visit.  Theres also a course called The Manor out near Farmville that I think is supposed to be good, but I have not been there.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 02:33:39 PM »
I would agree that RNK and Mattaponi Springs are well worth playing.  If you do go to RNK consider going all the way to Williamsburg and play the Gold course at the Golden Horseshoe - a bit tight for some tastes but a fun course on a very small piece of property. 

hhuffines

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 03:04:17 PM »
Woodberry Forest School has a cool little Ross nine that is worth checking out.

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 04:29:34 PM »
In the Richmond area, I would recommend checking out the Federal Club among the public-access courses.  It's currently semi-private so is allowing outside play.  It's probably the best Arnold Palmer designed course that I've played.  The highlight are the greens and green surrounds.  There is a lot of short game interest with collection areas, run-offs, false fronts, etc.  It's kept in excellent condition as well.   It's a very strategic course course, highly recommended.

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 06:43:59 PM »
Bogey:

Generally agree with most of the comments above, but here are my thoughts:

1)   RNK - I would not necessarily call it the best golf in the area, but if you haven't played Strantz before it’s a must…even if you have (and didn't absolutely hate) I would still recommend it above others just because its pretty unique.  As is well documented on this site, the course brings intrigue, fun, and some stupidity as well, but one thing is almost guaranteed….you will remember it.  I try to play here once or twice a year and despite the warts I always enjoy it.  If you are interested in a Strantz doubleheader, Stonehouse is much different and just down the road.  One drawback is I would not consider these courses really walkable due to extremely long green to tee distances (Stonehouse might be almost 36 holes worth of walking).
2)   Three courses mentioned above, Federal Club, Spring Creek, and Mattaponi are all worth visits.  They are all generally very well maintained…although currently that means very wet.  I agree with Jimmy that the Federal Club probably is the most “strategic” of the three courses.  A lot more choice, wider fairways with risk- reward, and pretty fun greens.  It also has some over the top bunkering detracts from it some.  Mattaponi is nice because it is very secluded…no housing at all…has zoysia fairways which is not common around here and fun greens as well.  Spring Creek is a little more straightforward but overall might be the best of three.  All are walkable, but none necessarily easy walks.  If you choose to walk the Federal Club they will let you drive a cart to the range which is adjacent to the first tee and ninth green, and then drive the cart to the tenth tee after your front nine….important since it is at least a mile.
3)   The Manor Resort – I played the day of the Olympic Hockey Finals 18 months ago on a cold high 30s very windy February day with snow still in the shadows with my then 9 year old.  It was the first 18 we ever walked together and a very memorable day in which we both had a blast despite being really cold.  It is also pretty isolated and on some beautiful property.  However, not a big fan of the course.  A lot of carries…not long carries, just irritating creeks and gullies, many fronting greens, some hiding in fairways, several possibly forcing questionable decisions.  And the greens are somewhat dull given the great movement of the land.  I think the 4 above are better choices.
4)   I haven’t played Cannon Ridge or Woodberry Forest School.

Please don’t hesitate to give me shout if you need some additional information.

Mike

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 09:36:21 AM »
Woodberry Forest School has a cool little Ross nine that is worth checking out.

H2, you are speaking my language.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 09:37:14 AM »
Sorry to go off-topic, but are the Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville battlefields worthwhile?

Bogey

CJ Carder

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 09:44:41 AM »
Agree with the above that Mattaponi, Cannon Ridge, Spring Creek, RNK are worth visits.  Just have to decide on which way out of Richmond you want to go.  If you do end up coming all the way to Williamsburg (about 15 miles further east from Royal New Kent), and want to play the Gold Course @ the Horseshoe, let me know if you want some company and to save a few bucks, lol.

Lester George

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 11:31:59 AM »
Petresburg battlefield probably has the best presentation on the later part of the war.  Battle of the Crater is very interesting.  If you don't mind the travel, Appomattox is 90 minutes away as well.

Lester

JC Jones

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 07:25:50 PM »
Petresburg battlefield probably has the best presentation on the later part of the war.  Battle of the Crater is very interesting.  If you don't mind the travel, Appomattox is 90 minutes away as well.

Lester

Is that where the golf club known as Concession is located? ;D ;D
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 10:17:10 PM »
One course I really like is Keswick Club, just outside Charlottesville.   Greens are in perfect condition and it is a very classic course which makes use of the rolling virginia hills.

Not that long, but really forces you to use every club in your bag

Dave Givnish

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 10:45:40 AM »
I'd add Kinloch and Farmington if you can get access.  Birdwood in Charlottesville is good as well, but probably not worth the drive past Spring Creek.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 05:28:45 PM »
I'm curious why you liked spring creek so much.

My parents live at Glenmore, so I have played farmington, Birdwood, keswick quite a bit.   I would actually rank Spring creek 4th out of those four.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 09:12:27 PM »
I'm thinking about staying over after Dixie Cup and visiting the site of General Lee's greatest victory and the untimely demise of Stonewall Jackson.  Cannon Ridge by Weed/Beaman looks intriguing.  How about Mattaponi Springs and Royal New Kent?  Anything else recommended in the area?

Bogey

Michael,

There you go again, causing unneccessary stife with your reflections on the War of Northern Agression. Will it ever end? ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back