News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Taylor

More Bandon Preserve Images
« on: September 14, 2011, 01:17:06 PM »
Walked the property last week. Excepting finishing up bunker edging and a little grow in, it is fully grassed. Green complexes are spectacular and the walk while hilly is not an undue burden.
Enjoy.

PCCraig

Re: More Bandon Preserve Images
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 02:31:09 PM »
Thanks, the best photos I've seen so far of the course.
H.P.S.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 02:38:38 PM »
Looks fabulous, but I have a feeling every time I play it I'm going to be attempting to figure out how they could have put regular length golf holes on the property.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 02:56:39 PM »
Thanks for looking.
Not sure there is much room to put in full size holes. Maybe an out and back scenario but I never looked at the part of the property that runs along Bandon Trails.
Moreover, I wonder how they will keep the tee boxes in good shape. I expect it will get a lot of play.

More pics at the following link:
http://www.pbase.com/jstaylor/bandon_preserve
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 02:59:51 PM by Jeff Taylor »

George Freeman

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 03:47:55 PM »
Wow!  :o

It looks spectacular!

Thanks for the pictures.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 03:55:02 PM »
Having just returned in the past few weeks I can confirm that it does indeed look fantastic and is a great addition to the property for wives, kids and fat old men like me...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Dan Kelly

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 03:57:49 PM »

What a great picture! Who says wind is invisible?

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Ryan Kelly

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 04:24:41 PM »
Like Jud, I just returned as well, in fact only 9 days ago.  I'm jealous that you were able to walk it.  I took some pictures from Trails and Dunes but nothing as great as these shots.  Thanks for posting these. 

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 05:09:35 PM »
Michael;
The property is 25 acres.  Speaking in approximations, that's about 2 holes on the Old Mac scale of things, 3 holes on the Bandon Dunes scale, and about 4 holes on the Pac Dunes scale.
Hope this helps,
Tom
the pres

George Freeman

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 05:24:23 PM »
Michael;
The property is 25 acres.  Speaking in approximations, that's about 2 holes on the Old Mac scale of things, 3 holes on the Bandon Dunes scale, and about 4 holes on the Pac Dunes scale.
Hope this helps,
Tom

Thanks Tom.

On a side note: why more 9-12 hole par 3 courses aren't built I can't figure out, ESPECIALLY in areas where land is expensive/scarce.  Seems like the perfect compromise which alleviates two big issues with golf - space and time.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Bill McKinley

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 05:28:01 PM »
Looks tremendous!!  Can't wait to go there... I don't know when that will be, but someday!
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 10:30:38 PM »
Funny thing is, we just walked out onto the course.  My friend noticed that the flags were an invitation to survey the grounds. Why else would they be there? There were no holes cut, just flags.
We were not shy and frankly, carrying a bag and a camera is not the same as having the camera and free reign with the property. It was just as fun as playing Pacific Dunes (and breaking 80) earlier that morning. What a treat.

michael damico

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 11:17:10 PM »
On a side note: why more 9-12 hole par 3 courses aren't built I can't figure out, ESPECIALLY in areas where land is expensive/scarce.  Seems like the perfect compromise which alleviates two big issues with golf - space and time.

I am in complete agreement with you George, but I think (at least in America) the problem lies with liability issues. Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my two cents...
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
                                                                -fz

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back