News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: Walker Cup Captain
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2011, 03:22:28 PM »
Gordon Brewer
Randy Haag
Mike McCoy
Vinnie Giles
Jerry Courville, Jr.

Vinny should have already been the captain, but his player/agent relationships might have been a concern to the USGA. 

I'm pretty obtuse, Vinny was already captain, 1993!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2011, 08:56:51 PM »
Do you really think they skip George Zahringer?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

john_stiles

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2011, 09:46:38 PM »

Would fourth or 5th the above mention of Tim Jackson

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2011, 09:56:56 PM »
Ken Bakst would be an excellent choice.

Whose more imbeded in Amateur golf and the golf world than Ken Bakst ?

George Zahringer would also be a good choice.

If a bubbly personality was a pre-requirement, alot of Captains for the Walker and Ryder Cup would have been disqualified

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2011, 11:00:25 PM »
Here's a quandry...the most talented senior amateur golfer of this mini-epoch, Paul Simson, never played Walker Cup. Should he be a captain?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2011, 11:24:10 PM »
Here's a quandry...the most talented senior amateur golfer of this mini-epoch, Paul Simson, never played Walker Cup. Should he be a captain?

Probably not but it's a great question.

John_Conley

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2011, 12:12:21 AM »
There's a reinstated guy that won a trophy in Florida this weekend that'd make a good one.

John Blain

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2011, 09:09:32 AM »
Ron-
Yes, I believe they will pass on Zahringer as they probably should.

Regarding Bakst, Simson and all the others mentioned here: You need to have played on at least one (preferably more than one) Walker Cup team to be considered for captaincy. It's an unwritten rule. Sort of like the Ryder Cup, if you haven't won a major you have no chance.

Lester George

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2011, 10:14:27 AM »
Bill,

And Vinny should be Captain again.  Made the round of 64 yesterday at 68 years old!

Lester

John Shimp

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2011, 11:08:36 AM »
Lester,
What are the reactions to Kinloch?  A friend of mine and my sons (Jim Grainger) is playing and made match play.
Thanks.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2011, 12:11:34 PM »
Bill,

And Vinny should be Captain again.  Made the round of 64 yesterday at 68 years old!

Lester

Wow!   Any chance he'll be around Kinloch during the Dixie Cup?   Last time I saw him in person was on the practice tee at Athens CC when nhe was the star at UGA and I was at the Navy Supply School.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2011, 01:21:40 PM »
Why does the captain have to be a decorated greybeard? Seems to me the Walker Cup matches could easily accommodate a playing captain. Lou Boudreau was 25 when hews named player-manager of the Cleveland Indians, and was named A.L. MVP when he led them to a World Series championship in 1948.

The most respected player on the squad could be elected captain, make the necessary decisions during competition, and leave the administrative stuff to somebody with the USGA. His pre-and post-round press conferences might last a little longer than the other players, but otherwise I doubt anyone would notice the difference.

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

JESII

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2011, 01:24:28 PM »
Sigel was a playing captain in the late 80's I believe.

I'd think the recent history of all but 1 or 2 players being about 20 would make this less likely. Nathan Smith would certainly be a candidate if makes a couple more teams.

Lester George

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2011, 05:45:47 PM »

Giles wins first round match 3&2. 

John,

The reactions have been very positive.  We got 6 inches of rain on Thursday night on an already inundated course. We had to cancel the practice round on Friday.  We have had over 13 inches of rain in the last 10 days.  But the course has held up well.  Fairways are not as fast as they normally are.  Rough will be mowed this afternoon but it is lush.  Greens are stimping at 13.5 to 14.  I have tried to stay under the radar and listen to comments from players, caddies, wives, USGA officials and have heard some really nice stuff.  I am sorry I don't know how your friend did today.

Lester

jeffwarne

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
Doesn't anyone find it ironic that a player's caddie in this event is not allowed to be a professional?
(One of the player's brothers caddied for him and was a PGA Club Pro--Holtgrive agreed to overlook it as it came to light after the fact)

Caddies were the original professionals.

A player guiding you around the course and giving you advice( for money) isn't by definition a professional? :o :o :o ??? ???
........but a guy selling shirts and running tournaments is ineligible to caddie in an amateur event?

The whole amateur/pro thing is turned upside down anyway.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

john_stiles

Re: Walker Cup Captain New
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2011, 10:25:37 PM »
Someone who never played on a Walker Cup team, never won the US Amateur, was never USGA President, but was Walker Cup captain was...........Lou Oehmig.

He was a six-time finalist, and three time winner (72,76,85) of Senior US amateur.

Mr. Oehmig was captain for victorious 1977 team at Shinnecock.  He also won the Bobby Jones award, the highest USGA award in 1994.

Having mentioned Lou Oehmig,  I do not think something like that would happen again.

And prior to that,  Tufts and Winters were captains who never played on Walker Cup, and were not USGA champions. They were past USGA Presidents who were later WC captains.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:28:48 PM by john_stiles »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back