News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jeffwarne

Re: Feherty
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2011, 12:06:34 PM »
I'm not a big fan of David Feherty's written columns, but I have really enjoyed his interviews. I don't think he has tried to be overly funny - other than the little out-takes - and his questions and observations are usually pretty solid, imho. I really enjoyed his conversations with Lee Trevino and Tom Watson and even found a greater appreciation for Johnny Miller after watching his interview. Haven't seen the most recent ones yet.

I must be the only person who doesn't generally find Dan Jenkins funny. Occasionally, sure, but everyone is occasionally. However, as a rule, I find him trite, repetitive and boring.

+1
all of that
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2011, 12:07:44 PM »
George - make that two people, I find most of his work boring, laboured and mean-spirited.

JK - You're spot on, I find the exact thing, i.e. "the tactile feel of a keyboard promotes the flow of ideas in a different manner".

Tim Martin

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2011, 12:24:40 PM »
Feherty is unreadable.  Feherty is not funny, Dan Jenkins his ownself is...

Jenkins is a legend.  He no more needs to be funny than your grandmother needs to smell good.  I have not read anything by Jenkins outside of his Twitter posts.  I seem to recall that he was more clever than anyone else at the time.

When Brad Klein tweets about coffee service he is funny.  I remember searching for a cup of coffee one morning at French Lick and thinking about Brad.

Anyone who doubts Jenkins as a comedic writer need only pick up a copy of Semi-Tough, Life Its Ownself or Baja Oklahoma among others. If you don`t laugh out loud at least a half dozen times from each you must have a dark soul.

PCCraig

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2011, 01:00:04 PM »
Dan Jenkins is not funny. His only real virtue is that he's been around so long. A FIGJAM of the golf writing world.

People obviously find Feherty funny, because he seems like the self-important clown that gets bolder over time with the more attention that he gets.

Charlie Rymer might find himself funny, but I don't, nor do I care to find out.
H.P.S.

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2011, 01:06:39 PM »
Perhaps Jenkins best Tweets are where he speaks as though he is Sergio...great stuff.

Feherty is tiring at times, but considering his love/care for US troops I will gladly endure him forever.

Charlie R...I enjoy his comments, but that crying at Tiger's presser got his man card stripped in my book.
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Mike Tanner

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2011, 01:09:45 PM »
I believe that Mr. Feherty is quite funny. I admire his quick wit, but do think his columns of late are not as entertaining as they have been in the past. I've also enjoyed watching his show on the Golf Channel. As others have mentioned, I think the constraints of appearing on network TV cramp his style a bit.

As for Dan Jenkins, he's a national treasure IMHO. Sure, his humor tends to have a sarcastic edge to it and that can come off as mean-spirited. His command of dialogue isn't the same as say, Elmore Leonard, but it's damn good.

Now, in light of the alcohol-related posts above, here are Mankind's 10 Stages of Drunkenness  from Jenkins' novel, Baja Oklahoma:

0)  Sober
   1)  Witty and Charming
   2)  Rich and Powerful
   3)  Benevolent
   4)  Clairvoyant
   5)  Fuck Dinner
   6)  Patriotic
          7)  Crank Up the Enola Gay
   8)  Witty and Charming, Part II
   9)  Invisible
   10) Bulletproof
Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

Jud_T

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2011, 01:19:01 PM »
The best humor has a dark edge.  Why I never quite got Jerry Sienfeld but worship Curb...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2011, 01:22:56 PM »
I didn't think Herbert Warren Wind was funny until I read of his bedside chats with Ed Getka.  Roll on the floor funny.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2011, 01:44:05 PM »
Not to hijack the thread on Charlie Rymer and being funny but can anyone tell me why they think Feherty is amusing?

His witticisms, when they happen, seem to be genuinely spontaneous, unrehearsed -- a quality which, of course, is nearly impossible to achieve in print. I think that's why I've never found his writing (or Dan Jenkins's, for that matter) worth getting excited about.

I'd rather he just be insightful (which I think he is), and witty only when the occasion demands it. That funny-guy rep. is hard to shake.

As for any further analysis of what's funny and what isn't, let me fall back on one of my favorite observations by one of my favorite writers, E.B. White: "Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but the thing dies in the process and the innards are discouraging to any but the pure scientific mind."
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Steve Okula

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2011, 02:10:27 PM »
In 1994-5 I was the grow-in superintendent at National Golf Club Antalya, Turkey, which was « designed » by Feherty, that is he had his name on it, as far as I know his only one.

I met him on several occasions, and he was funny and fun to drink with, which he did a lot of back then. I don’t know if it’s happenstance or what, but several other golfers I’ve met from Northern Ireland are hilarious and drink with a hollow leg as well.

One afternoon after a round several of us, Feherty, two other Belfast area golf pros and myself were in the clubhouse bar having a beer or two when an attractive, well-endowed young lady walked by. Such was her presence that the table fell silent in admiring gaze for a few seconds. After she left and was safely out of earshot, Feherty says in his infectious Irish lilt, “I’m actually a lesbian trapped in a man’s body. It’s tragic, really.”
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2011, 02:23:55 PM »
Not to hijack the thread on Charlie Rymer and being funny but can anyone tell me why they think Feherty is amusing?

I'd rather he just be insightful (which I think he is), and witty only when the occasion demands it. That funny-guy rep. is hard to shake.

As for any further analysis of what's funny and what isn't, let me fall back on one of my favorite observations by one of my favorite writers, E.B. White: "Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but the thing dies in the process and the innards are discouraging to any but the pure scientific mind."

Both observations are spot on. I can't think of a more difficult line of work in which to achieve long-term, consistent success than as a humorist. Maybe Lee Trevino has it right: crack jokes in public, be surly in private. Funny all the time isn't possible.

Nor, I think, is it possible to explain to Bob Huntley what makes Feherty amusing, or to explain to Barney why it's humorous to watch Bill Murray play golf. I'm guessing neither member of the tree house could possibly be convinced to say, "Oh, now I get it."

« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 12:18:38 AM by Rick Shefchik »
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2011, 04:34:50 PM »
Nancy, the comic strip.  Like we didn't already know, not that there is anything wrong with that.

George Pazin

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2011, 04:38:26 PM »
David, if it makes you feel any better, LT was in fact a swimsuit model for awhile. At least Holly Sonders and Kelly Tilghman were solid college golfers.

Nice posts, Dan and Rick. Funny on demand is one of the toughest things of all, imho. I think that's why it's more common to see a comedian do a good serious role ala Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting than see a serious actor do a good funny role (can't think of any of those).
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2011, 04:47:19 PM »
David, if it makes you feel any better, LT was in fact a swimsuit model for awhile. At least Holly Sonders and Kelly Tilghman were solid college golfers.

Nice posts, Dan and Rick. Funny on demand is one of the toughest things of all, imho. I think that's why it's more common to see a comedian do a good serious role ala Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting than see a serious actor do a good funny role (can't think of any of those).

Funny how comedians are cast in serious roles only when there are homoerotic overtones.

PCCraig

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2011, 04:52:54 PM »
than see a serious actor do a good funny role (can't think of any of those).

Alec Baldwin has reinvented his career as a funny man. As did Leslie Nielson (sp) of Naked Gun fame. Christopher Walken is seriously funny as well...hence why he's hosted SNL so many times. :)
H.P.S.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2011, 04:58:53 PM »

Alec Baldwin has reinvented his career as a funny man. As did Leslie Nielson (sp) of Naked Gun fame. Christopher Walken is seriously funny as well...hence why he's hosted SNL so many times. :)

DeNiro was solid in Midnight Run.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2011, 05:03:49 PM »

DeNiro was solid in Midnight Run.

As he was in "Analyze This."

Another: Humphrey Bogart in "The African Queen."

Another: John Travolta in "Get Shorty."

Oh, and Laurence Olivier was a riot in "Marathon Man."
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 05:06:13 PM by Dan Kelly »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2011, 05:08:50 PM »
"I'm sorry, I forgot what I was ranting about......."

David - I'm glad you did. It shows that you're still alive!!

I don't know you, but what we don't need around here is another nerd who's lost all sight of true priorities and who thinks gca should be one of them!

JC Jones and Eric Smith are enough....

Peter

Steve Okula

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2011, 05:31:40 PM »
Off the top of my head, actors who have done both comedy and serious roles and done both well (written with a total disregard of which genre came first)

Kevin Kline, Meryl Streep, Kevin Costner, Jerry Lewis, Dean Martin, William Shatner, Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Spencer Tracy, Alan Arkin, Henry Fonda, Jack Nicholson, Susan Sarandon, Tom Cruise, Nicolle Kidman, Matt Dillon, Dustin Hoffman, Ray Liotta, John Travolta, John Cusack, Ernest Borgnine, Andy Griffith, Jackie Gleason, George C. Scott, Tom Hanks, Woody Harrleson, John C. Riley, Burt Reynolds, Donald Sutherland, Gary Oldman, Tim Robbins, John Lithgow, Dennis Hopper, Renée Zellweger, David Schwimmer, Ian Mcshane, Christopher Lambert, Matthew Broderick, Colin Firth, Bette Midler, Whoopi Goldberg, Ted Danson, Michael Keaton, Sandra Bullock, Gérard Depardieu, Bob Hoskins, Kathleen Turner, Peter Falk, Bruce Willis....

along with a few hundred others I can't think of right now.  
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

George Pazin

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2011, 05:44:37 PM »
While I have not seen Bogey, I am less than impressed by the examples offered...save De Niro in Midnight Run. Travolta's funny in Get Shorty, but I can't say I think he is a serious actor.

I never picked up on any homoerotic overtones in GWH, guess my gaydar is no good.

Not sure what any of this has to do with David Feherty, but it's fun nonetheless. Headin' home, see you guys tomorrow.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Dan Kelly

« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2011, 05:57:16 PM »
While I have not seen Bogey, I am less than impressed by the examples offered...save De Niro in Midnight Run. Travolta's funny in Get Shorty, but I can't say I think he is a serious actor.

Your instructions, sir:

1) Get a copy of "The African Queen." Watch it.

2) Get a copy of "Blow Out." Watch it. Then tell me you can't say Travolta is a serious actor.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2011, 06:00:19 PM »

I never picked up on any homoerotic overtones in GWH, guess my gaydar is no good.

Not sure what any of this has to do with David Feherty, but it's fun nonetheless. Headin' home, see you guys tomorrow.

Homoerotic does not equal gay. Ever seen Top Gun?

Bill Gayne

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2011, 06:11:25 PM »
I've watched most of the series and have generally enjoyed it. As others have pointed out, he appears to  be trying too hard to be funny and the comedy feels forced and sometimes awkward. I agree with Bob that the humor is sophomoric at times.

I thought the most recent episode was an interesting look into Greg Norman. For some reason, I've always found Norman to be a sympathetic figure and I felt this way even more so after watching the program. There seemed to be either an emptiness to him that he was trying to fill by showing off the accumulation of assets or the over compensation of previous professional failure by material consumption. In contrast to Darren Clarke, while enduring recent life tragedy he has found much more joy and meaning in less. Clarke came across as a very genuine person.

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2011, 09:15:50 PM »
Feherty (who I like) wouldn't be nearly as funny with a American accent....

I thought of Deniro in Midnight Run first  ;)...John Ashton was also hysterical  in an underrated classic...Grodin was just great....

Peter Falk wins though for CIA guy in The In-Laws.... ;D

and...... Ron White is    Fuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnyyyyyyy.....

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2011, 10:07:49 PM »
I think his interviews are pretty good. The fart jokes and the segways between segments are a little annoying.

I have always liked Greg Norman, but the infomercial for him to sell his ranch for $50 mm is a little much:

http://www.sevenlakesranch.com/home.html

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back