News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Feherty
« on: September 07, 2011, 11:56:11 PM »
Not to hijack the thread on Charlie Rymer and being funny but can anyone tell me why they think Feherty is amusing?

I have read some of his columns in one of the national golf magazines and have heard him on TV and thought most of his stuff was sophomoric at best. His constant use of of farting seems like a crutch to use, in being with it.

Bob

Andy Shulman

Re: Feherty
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 12:12:47 AM »
He seems to be a member of the "Look how funny I can be" school.  At least he finds himself funny, but I find his excessively self-deprecating schtick extremely tiresome.  That said, he must have a fair amount of credibility in the pro golf world because the guests he's had on his Golf Channel show are really good and in many cases - Johnny Miller, for example - not ones I would have expected him to be able to get.

Martin Toal

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 01:24:04 AM »
When Feherty was still living in the UK, he was definitely a funny guy, particularly using a dry, sarcastic style of humour that is common in Northern Ireland. Farting was not a feature of it as far as I can recall.

Perhaps now he has just accommodated to the sense of humour preferences and limitations of his host audience.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 04:45:56 AM »
Feherty's backpage column used to be extremely entertaining.
I think Martin has it right-somewhat. It seems to me that Feherty feels he has to be ON all the time. He can still hit the humor high notes but he's added too much background noise and it has become, sadly, overall sophmoric.

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 07:42:09 AM »
When Feherty was still living in the UK, he was definitely a funny guy, particularly using a dry, sarcastic style of humour that is common in Northern Ireland. Farting was not a feature of it as far as I can recall.

Perhaps now he has just accommodated to the sense of humour preferences and limitations of his host audience.

Agreed re: how funny he was when he was a player on the Euro tour. He has always been very quick witted - I still like him but he has become very Americanised (nothing wrong with that per se) and the self deprecating stuff is a bit annoying.

Also, as an Irishman who is, admittedly, now a US citizen, I find his zeal for championing the cause of US troops a bit odd. Don't get me wrong - it's laudable - just seems odd. I've always thought that type of patriotism is something that is engrained from birth and associated with one's true homeland.

I enjoy his show, think he gives good interviews, and have great respect for his championing the cause of our troops.
God knows our govt. isn't providing for them as they suffer virtually as if it's not happening.
Sure he's a bit goofy at times, but count me as a fan.
He's observant and has been around, and has his finger on the pulse of what's happening,
What a contrast to a boob like Miller (who seems blissfully unaware which does add to the entertainment value)
Look at the other programs on the Golf Channel......
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jeff Tang

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 07:54:44 AM »
The episode where Feherty interviews Fluff and Bones was pretty hilarious. I thought the other episodes are good as well but the caddie episode had some really funny moments.
So bad it's good!

Tim Martin

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 08:12:24 AM »
It`s obvious that he has standing and plenty of friends in the golf biz by the guests that he gets to come on his show. Peter Kessler was the last guy that had that kind of pull in the interview arena. Admittedly the stars lined up for him getting Rory and Darren being that they are all from Northern Ireland. I think he is a funny guy but may be trying just a bit too hard. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 08:51:50 AM »
The problem with these discussions about who is funny is that the subject of golf is not funny.  People who try to make it so on a day to day basis are destined to fail.

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 09:11:02 AM »
The problem with these discussions about who is funny is that the subject of golf is not funny.  People who try to make it so on a day to day basis are destined to fail.

Doesn't stop them from trying though ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Pearce

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »
Bob,

I agree with the other UK based posters.  When he was over here his dry irony and self-deprecation were amusing and he was certainly quick witted.  It was, however, all in balance with an ability to be more serious.  What I see of him in the States suggests he has lost that balance and, worse, tries to be funny all the time, the result of which is that he is rarely ever funny.

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 10:02:50 AM »

Quite the contrary.  Golf, and most everything around it, has a large element of levity and amusement.  There is a fine line between tragedy and comedy.  Even at his most boorish extreme, I always found some humor in BarneyF.

Perhaps the trouble some have with Feherty is that his talent as a funny man is thin and he may be overly exposed.  Sort of like 1st baseman Dave Hostetler who hit over 20 homeruns for the Texas Rangers, mostly early in one year, then flailing away hopelessly out of baseball when opposing pitchers learned that he couldn't hit a curveball (his assessment).         

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 10:21:55 AM »
Now I understand why both Bob and Judge Levin have an affinity for Bill Murray.  Personally the only thing I found entertaining about him during the Crosby was that he took camera time away from Danny Gans.  Danny is gone now, so please someone tell me what is amusing about watching Bill Murray play golf.

This is the thing about golf, I would enjoy playing with Bill Murray but can not stand watching him play. 

Matt MacIver

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 10:27:35 AM »
I never read his columns nor watch his show - I just think he tries to hard to be on all the time. 

However, and without much thought about who I'm leaving out, I think he'd be a load of fun to play a round with and have beers after. 

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 10:39:50 AM »
It's sort of like with John Cleese - I'm glad for his sake (as I am for DF's sake) that he is now sane and healthy and off the drink/drugs....but it was that very madness that fuelled the genius of Monty Python, and when that went so did much of the humour. 

Peter

Terry Lavin

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 10:43:22 AM »
I'm of a divided mind on Feherty's wit.  First, on the negative side, much of his tournament work seems forced and constrained by the likely censoring issues he'd have with CBS.  Also, I'm annoyed by his insistence on letting us know his political leanings.  He's a former drunk, former player funnyman, his politics are wholly irrelevant.

On the positive side, he is a gifted comic writer.  I've written my fair share of attempted humor and I can vouch for the difficulty of such a task.  He has a thoroughly authentic comic voice that comes through wonderfully in his Golf magazine columns and his essays that have been published in book form.  As for the new television show, I was all set to hate it, because he is sort of annoying on CBS, but he has had some good moments, like the Fluff/Bones interview, in which he noted that the interview was taking place in the TPC Sawgrass spa and offered some optimism that the interviewees could wind up getting a "happy ending".  He'd be fired from CBS for such a comment, but it was good, ribald humor, IMHO.

But the funniest thing that he's said in recent memory was on the Dan Patrick cable TV/radio show where he was interviewed about Rory McIlroy hurting his right wrist when his club hit a tree root during the PGA.  Feherty allowed that it wasn't the smartest thing that Rory had ever done, but told the interviewer that he wasn't worried about the consequences, because "the right wrist is the strongest bone in a 22 year old male's body."

Now, that's funny.  And he'd probably be fired by CBS if ever he uttered such a salacious comment.  Which leads me to think that he's really a funny guy and that his CBS stuff is only made lame by the restrictions he is under. 
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 10:43:27 AM »
It's sort of like with John Cleese - I'm glad for his sake (as I am for DF's sake) that he is now sane and healthy and off the drink/drugs....but it was that very madness that fuelled the genius of Monty Python, and when that went so did much of the humour. 

Peter

P,

I don't know how old you are but are you sure Cleese didn't become less funny because of you getting off the drugs?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 10:48:42 AM »
Ha! It could be, JK.  But drunk or sober (me, I mean), I can't find him as funny in "A Fish Called Wanda" as I did n "The Life of Brian". Even the titles are funnier!

PS - I think we're about the same age. And I'm still thinking about your theory that I'm looking at "days" instead of "seconds".  That was a good one.

Peter

David Stamm

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 10:55:08 AM »
I saw McCord and Feherty do a clinic in San Diego in about 10-12 years ago and I hadn't laughed that hard in a long time. Feherty seemed more witty and less obnoxious then.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Anthony Butler

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 11:27:20 AM »
Have you ever read Updike's "The Trouble with Caddies"? You can find it in his book "Golf Dreams" for $10 or less on Amazon.
Next!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 11:32:56 AM »
P,

The other night I was fantastically drunk when I wrote that and several other diatribes.  I am glad your thread is no worse for the wear.  On a side note, I do believe comedic writing has suffered since the invention of the iPad.  When under heavy influence the tactile feel of a keyboard promotes the flow of ideas in a different manner than a the smooth soft touch of a input panel.  It has been with some comfort that I log in the morning after a drunk and find my postings kindler and gentler.

Jud_T

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 11:41:27 AM »
Feherty is unreadable.  Feherty is not funny, Dan Jenkins his ownself is...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 11:48:07 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

George Pazin

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 11:44:52 AM »
I'm not a big fan of David Feherty's written columns, but I have really enjoyed his interviews. I don't think he has tried to be overly funny - other than the little out-takes - and his questions and observations are usually pretty solid, imho. I really enjoyed his conversations with Lee Trevino and Tom Watson and even found a greater appreciation for Johnny Miller after watching his interview. Haven't seen the most recent ones yet.

I must be the only person who doesn't generally find Dan Jenkins funny. Occasionally, sure, but everyone is occasionally. However, as a rule, I find him trite, repetitive and boring.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

JC Urbina

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 11:46:39 AM »
Bob,

I had a chance to meet Charlie Rymer this summer and thought he was a very down to earth guy.  I think he brings a sense of passion to his broadcasts and lightens the atmosphere where ever he goes.

I have not met Feherty but like Charlie I think golf needs a little more entertainment brought to the game itself.

Feherty's interviews have brought another face to a game full of stoic personalities.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2011, 11:56:09 AM »
The problem with these discussions about who is funny is that the subject of golf is not funny.  People who try to make it so on a day to day basis are destined to fail.
Have you ever read Updike's "The Trouble with Caddies"? You can find it in his book "Golf Dreams" for $10 or less on Amazon.

I find zero humor in caddie stories when told out of context.  I once had a caddie stop our group on the second tee and tell a racially charged joke including an African American woman performing several acts you would not wish on a person who you respect.  After he was finished and we were allowed to continue our round I cozied up and quietly informed him that while I am not one to be offended by a joke I thought he should take this day as a valuable learning experience.  You see, I said, I myself am married to a black woman who I love very much as she is the mother of my children.  I let him know that I was not interested getting him in trouble because I too have stuck my foot in my mouth and wish I was so lucky to have learned the harm that can be done at his young age.  In one of the ironies of nature he turned white as a ghost and was speechless for the rest of the round.  Absent many apologies and such of course.

While all this may be mildly amusing my friends were gradually let in on the joke and had great fun adding to the poor lads humiliation.  They of course knew that I was in fact not married to a black woman, like I had a choice, and was simply using the kids poor taste in humor for our benefit.  This story is often told and never comes off very well.  It is a classic, as I think all golf humor is, a you had to be there moment.

Look at it this way.  If you went to a four hour comedy show three times per week would you go home and read comedy?  The Golf Channel is not programmed to be watched on a constant basis by people who play golf.  Give those guys a break and see what they have to say once a week or sometime surrounding the majors.  I do admire them for getting paid and that is all they need from me.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 12:04:43 PM by John Kavanaugh »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2011, 12:01:51 PM »
Feherty is unreadable.  Feherty is not funny, Dan Jenkins his ownself is...

Jenkins is a legend.  He no more needs to be funny than your grandmother needs to smell good.  I have not read anything by Jenkins outside of his Twitter posts.  I seem to recall that he was more clever than anyone else at the time.

When Brad Klein tweets about coffee service he is funny.  I remember searching for a cup of coffee one morning at French Lick and thinking about Brad.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back