News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: What are you pet peeves in course design?
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2011, 12:35:43 PM »
...extremely elevated tees to a diagonal fairway...

Most of these PPs sound reasonable.  Now, I don't know what "extremely" means, but Joe, talk to me about this PP.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tony Ristola

« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
Rock outcroppings in play. Having played a fair amount of golf in Scandinavia, this feature pops up often. Yuck.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2011, 06:28:02 PM »
Rock outcroppings in play. Having played a fair amount of golf in Scandinavia, this feature pops up often. Yuck.

Is this what you mean Tony? These pics are from the par 5 fifth hole at Sala in Sweden. They are huge :o

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 06:30:19 PM by Donal OCeallaigh »

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2011, 06:34:51 PM »

Most of these PPs sound reasonable.  Now, I don't know what "extremely" means, but Joe, talk to me about this PP.

Ciao

Sean,

I'll give it a go.

Diagonal fairways often require a forced carry over some sort of hazard and require the player to judge both the line and distance correctly.  Getting this right is a very difficult task.  When you add to this both (1) the uncertainty in how far you will hit a tee shot from an elevated tee, and (2) the ease at which elevated tee shots can get off-line, then the combination of elevated tee + diagonal fairway can be seen as unappealing.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2011, 06:37:13 PM »
Another one for you Tony. ;) The 414 mtr par 4 sixth at Bro Hof (Castle Course), also in Sweden.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2011, 08:39:08 AM »
Copy and paste designs... you play one course by an architect, play another course 40 miles away by the same architect... it's the same course.

Very frequent in Quebec

jeffwarne

« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2011, 08:52:43 AM »
Another one for you Tony. ;) The 414 mtr par 4 sixth at Bro Hof (Castle Course), also in Sweden.

Donal,
I think those make pretty cool hazards.
Be cool to see the wild caroms, you wouldn't lose the ball, the outcome would be quite random, and you'd have a chance of recovery.
You definitely would avoid them, although some of those on the earlier pictures might require helmets ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Lou_Duran

« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2011, 09:05:51 AM »

Some are kind of cool, particularly when not in the direct line of play and can be used for alignment or reference.  Importing and placing bolders for "strategic" purposes would be objectionable.

Reverse camber holes with a hazard or high rough on the low side aren't cool,  e.g. Muirfield Village #18, Olypmic #17 (to a lesser extent).

To the extent that the irrigation plan is part of course design, I hate sprinkler heads close to the fronts (or even the sides) of the greens.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 09:07:36 AM by Lou_Duran »

Sean_A

« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2011, 09:20:50 AM »

Most of these PPs sound reasonable.  Now, I don't know what "extremely" means, but Joe, talk to me about this PP.

Ciao

Sean,

I'll give it a go.

Diagonal fairways often require a forced carry over some sort of hazard and require the player to judge both the line and distance correctly.  Getting this right is a very difficult task.  When you add to this both (1) the uncertainty in how far you will hit a tee shot from an elevated tee, and (2) the ease at which elevated tee shots can get off-line, then the combination of elevated tee + diagonal fairway can be seen as unappealing.

Mark

These go in search of tee shots strike me as very appealing.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Howard Riefs

« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2011, 04:46:08 PM »

Is this what you mean Tony? These pics are from the par 5 fifth hole at Sala in Sweden. They are huge :o

That's tame compared to these monstrosities on the 12th hole at Fossil Trace outside Denver. 

Golf Digest called it one of the "most fun holes you can play in America." I'd have another descriptor. http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/2011-01/photos-18-most-fun-holes#slide=12

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tony Ristola

« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2011, 12:02:23 PM »

Donal... Oh Fy fan!

Yes... but they don't even have to be large like those you posted, and the problem with many of the Scandinavian courses is their corridors aren't wide enough to account for the solid menace.

Jeff,
You can enjoy Ricochet Golf... not my cup 'o tea. I'd have covered those rocks or blasted 'em. But watch, one day I'll I'll incorporate rocks too. Will say this though, I did see some photo's of Le Geant (sic?) 10+ years ago and thought the use of rock wasn't too bad. I think it was far enough out of the way, left exposed around tee areas, and otherwise decently integrated.

Howard.
Ugh. :)

Lou,
So long as they're not in play... and that means an allowance for being damn wild.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back