News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

Re: The National Golf Club -The Ocean Course: A pictorial (6th hole posted)!!!
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2011, 10:12:27 PM »
At the 368-meter 6th, tee shots should tumble down a steady grade to yield short flicks to a long, narrow green. The fairway bunker on the right need not be challenged as  the greenside bunkering is also to starboard, but laying back from the tee might still be advised given the gradually-narrowing character of the playing corridor.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:14:54 PM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kyle Henderson

Re: The National Golf Club -The Ocean Course: A pictorial (7th hole posted)!!!
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2011, 11:35:50 PM »
The 7th has the potential to be a very good hole with a few modifications. In its present form, it’s  a par 5 extending for 522 meters through a somersaulting valley.

Off the tee, players will do well to stay away from the visible bunker, as a steep downslope on the left side will propel their ball forward.

The second shot is quite stimulating,  with a  large bunker on the right at ~180 meters from the green and a smaller trap on the left around the 90-meter mark to complicate lay-ups. The approach is then uphill to a two-tiered green that is higher and wider at its rear.

"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kyle Henderson

Re: The National Golf Club -The Ocean Course: A pictorial (8th hole posted)!!!
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2011, 02:14:55 PM »
The 8th hole is a par 4 of 411 meters that continues along the valley occupied by the 7th. Visually, the bunkering schemes of these two holes bear a striking similarity in distribution (see photo above), although the distances differ somewhat. However, the bunkers at the 8th are shaped in a highly disparate fashion, with much more circumscribed borders and rounded edges.

The play here at the 8th tee is over the center of the first bunker, taking care to avoid the pot found further on to the left. From there, players face yet another uphill approach to another tiered green – this putting surface defined by a narrow leaf at the right/rear. The left/rear corner of the green complex features a vexing swale that will gobble up many approach shots.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 02:22:21 PM by Kyle Henderson »

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2011, 09:17:20 AM »
Backtracking a little, the 5th, 6th, and 7th were some of the greens worked on in attempt to improve them after their initial years of play.

The 7th has the potential to be a very good hole with a few modifications.

Kyle, what changes would you make?

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2011, 09:47:49 PM »
Kyle,

From the little I recall of this course (from one round broken up repeatedly by Melbourne's worst hail storm for decades in March 2010), the 5th green was a highlight. 

I tried to play 'target golf' and failed.  Now, I think the option here would often be a low runner up the false front - which is fun.  Guys am I mistaken?

M
@Pure_Golf

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2011, 01:40:35 AM »
Backtracking a little, the 5th, 6th, and 7th were some of the greens worked on in attempt to improve them after their initial years of play.

The 7th has the potential to be a very good hole with a few modifications.

Kyle, what changes would you make?

MM

MM,

I'd add a bit more fairway to the right of the first fairway bunker, inviting players to attempt shots around the high side that could run within range of the green with favorable winds. A slight shift of the green's fronting bunkers might also be in order to favor approaches that successfully negotiate this narrow/high road.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2011, 01:41:38 AM »
Kyle,

From the little I recall of this course (from one round broken up repeatedly by Melbourne's worst hail storm for decades in March 2010), the 5th green was a highlight. 

I tried to play 'target golf' and failed.  Now, I think the option here would often be a low runner up the false front - which is fun.  Guys am I mistaken?

M

I recall sticking the green with very a short club in hand. With a strong tailwind, the low route may be possible.

Kyle Henderson

Re: The National Golf Club -The Ocean Course: A pictorial (9th hole posted)!!!
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2011, 01:49:24 AM »
Stretching out to 200 meters up a gentle rise, the 9th hole is a testing par 3. Bunkers are found short and left a green that is tilted towards its narrow front section.

From behind, one can discern the tricky up and down required from a swale on the un-bunkered right side of the green (left side of this photo).

Kyle Henderson

At the 10th players are faced with a 534-meter par 5 that works its way downhill past a menacing, left-hand fairway bunker.

Past this bunker, tee shots may find a downslope that will propel the ball within reach of the green. Three bunkers are positioned between 100-150 meters out to obfuscate layup attempts. The greenside bunkering scheme (left/front and right/middle)  favors long approaches played from the right side of the fairway.

Kyle Henderson

The 11th is a 169-meter par 3 (that’s the 7th green just to the right near the trees), with an elevated green that is ~45 meters deep and just 10-12 meters wide (estimate). Shaved banks surround the entire green complex.

Jud_T

Dude, what's up with that reverse pivot?  ;)

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Kyle Henderson

Dude, what's up with that reverse pivot?  ;)

Au contrare. My weight has already shifted back to the front foot  (the club is descending) at the moment captured. Start from the ground, my friend.

Kyle Henderson

The 12th is 391 meters in length and narrows significantly before passing the right fairway bunker around 250 meters from the tee. Staying left to avoid this trap will result in a blind approach (strategic bunkering at last!!!).

Past the bunker, the fairway drops and then climbs again, offering yet ANOTHER uphill approach to a back-to-front sloping green. A trained eye will note that each bunker of the 12th has a dissimilar shaping style to that of its siblings.

Matthew Mollica

One of the better holes on the course. That right side fairway bunker is a good one too.
Strategically placed, and sitting well within its surrounds. If only more of the bunkering were crafted and positioned like this.
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Mark_F

That right side fairway bunker is a good one too.  Strategically placed, and sitting well within its surrounds. If only more of the bunkering were crafted and positioned like this. 

It would hardly make a difference, because the routing sucks and the greens are crap.

National Ocean should be used for processing asylum seekers.  If the thought of spending a year on the course doesn't deter them, nothing will.

Kyle Henderson

A par 4 of 287 meters, the 13th offers players the chance to drive directly down the middle of the fairway for a short approach (while risking a pulled shot into the left bunkers) or lay back. Down wind, big hitters may be able to drive the right side of the green, as it peeks out from behind the left bunkers (the group ahead can be seen on the green. The other option is to playing well to the right for a full wedge approach from a less exacting angle.

By my reckoning, it was a strange choice of the architect to create another blindish, uphill approach shot so similar in character to its predecessors.

Kyle Henderson

Playing toward the left edge of the colossal clubhouse, the 14th hole covers 160 meters from one small ridge to the next.

Although the right bunker is well short of the green, the left one is very much in play, as are the slopes found at the green’s fore and aft edges.

Matthew Mollica

I've hit everything from 9iron to 3wood into this green. A tough green to hit and hold with a long iron. A big slope at the back means up and down par after going over the green is unlikely. The target golf requirement is consistent, with little by way of true thrill.

I eagerly await the next.

Kyle Henderson

The 15th is 364 meters in length,  trundling downhill past right side bunkers that protect the shortest route to a the green (the left edge of which is just visible above the left-most fairway bunker) . This green site offers some much needed variety, as it is bowled against a small ridge line in contrast with the perched nature of the earlier greens.

Matthew Mollica

Which facet of the fairway - left or right - afford green visibility and a flat stance?
Which half of the fairway is fortified by bunkers?
Which is left open?

The green is good, and as you say Kyle, a welcome relief.

MM

Justin Ryan

A par 4 of 287 meters, the 13th offers players the chance to drive directly down the middle of the fairway for a short approach (while risking a pulled shot into the left bunkers) or lay back. Down wind, big hitters may be able to drive the right side of the green, as it peeks out from behind the left bunkers (the group ahead can be seen on the green. The other option is to playing well to the right for a full wedge approach from a less exacting angle.

By my reckoning, it was a strange choice of the architect to create another blindish, uphill approach shot so similar in character to its predecessors.

Kyle, were you unaware this hole was inspired by the 10th hole on Royal Melbourne West?

Kyle Henderson

Kyle, were you unaware this hole was inspired by the 10th hole on Royal Melbourne West?

There is a resemblance... :-\
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 12:04:42 AM by Kyle Henderson »

Kyle Henderson

Which facet of the fairway - left or right - afford green visibility and a flat stance?
Which half of the fairway is fortified by bunkers?
Which is left open?

The green is good, and as you say Kyle, a welcome relief.

MM

Indeed, the fairway bunkers do not interrupt the line of charm, nor are they shaped to collect anything that does not fidn them on the fly.

Kyle Henderson

I'm actually quite smitten with the 16th, a 382-meter par 4 that features a strategically placed central fairway bunker. This interior pot requires a 230-meter carry, unless one elects to a) go left (bringing a sandy wasteland into play) b) go right (flirting with a formalized bunker) or c) stay short (leaving 160 meters or more to go). The green-side bunkering  is more easily avoided from the right side of the fairway, though the green is sloped from right-to-left.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 02:23:38 PM by Kyle Henderson »

Matthew Mollica

Probably the best hole on the course, but it too has it's flaws. It's also had the green and left greenside bunker worked on in the course's early life.

MM

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back