News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Chubby Chandler calls out "Golf Perverts "
« on: September 07, 2011, 10:08:19 AM »
This guy needs to be on this site"
read the GD article:
"We've all met them.  They are the people so engrossed in the game they rarely talk about anything else.  Golf is their great love and only hobby.  Golf perverts assume that everyone shares their level of enthusiasm at all times.  They're important because they love the game and help drive it.  But people who work in the game or play it professionally all day often don't want to be consumed by it at breakfast and dinner."

I've always said this was a site full of perverts ;D ;D ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

John Kavanaugh

Re: Chubby Chandler calls out "Golf Perverts "
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 10:25:23 AM »
I like to think of the people on this site when I listen to Howard Stern or shows like it and regular callers, who are freaks, think they are a vital part of the "talent".  One of the most disturbing bits, because I can relate, is when "the freak" is banned from the show because of poor behavior.  Hearing the pain in his voice as he thinks of life without his celebrity is more cruel than funny.

This is exactly why I withdrew my campaign for rater term limits.  When you take something from a man that does not exist the laws of nature have no choice but to take equally from you.  Once you give a freak his flag you have to let it fly.

Mike_Young

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 10:31:14 AM »
I like to think of the people on this site when I listen to Howard Stern or shows like it and regular callers, who are freaks, think they are a vital part of the "talent".  One of the most disturbing bits, because I can relate, is when "the freak" is banned from the show because of poor behavior.  Hearing the pain in his voice as he thinks of life without his celebrity is more cruel than funny.

This is exactly why I withdrew my campaign for rater term limits.  When you take something from a man that does not exist the laws of nature have no choice but to take equally from you.  Once you give a freak his flag you have to let it fly.
If I could get you on Rymer's show for one hour we could change golf.... ;D ;D 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 11:36:05 AM »

I admire how Charlie has lost weight and became more comfortable in front of the camera.  God I hope I can keep my day job and remain fat and in the shadows.  If HD isn't scary enough I've got enough skin tabs to blow up eBay with people rushing to dump their 3D TV's.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 11:46:38 AM »

I admire how Charlie has lost weight and became more comfortable in front of the camera.  God I hope I can keep my day job and remain fat and in the shadows.  If HD isn't scary enough I've got enough skin tabs to blow up eBay with people rushing to dump their 3D TV's.

I've heard people tell me for years that Rymer is funny.  I've read his stuff in Golfweek and I've seen his stuff on television.  If he's a funny guy, if he's a clever guy, I say take off the shackles and be yourself, Charlie, because I haven't seen it in print or on tv yet.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 12:09:49 PM »
Charlie is funny in the same manner Kelly Tilghman is sexy.  You just know someone out there is getting it but are afraid to ask who.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 12:40:08 PM »
Charlie is funny in the same manner Kelly Tilghman is sexy.  You just know someone out there is getting it but are afraid to ask who.

As my grandma used to say, "there's a lid for every pot."
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 01:02:54 PM »
Terry,

We were lucky to have Charlie show up for what I believe was the first Dixie Cup at Cuscowilla.  I don't remember anything he said, or if he was funny, I do remember sitting near him when he passed gas.  That was funny.

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 01:04:53 PM »
I can`t say that Charlie Rymer has given me occasion to laugh in all the times I have seen him on air. That said he does have a look about him that makes me think that he would be a fun guy to hang around with no cameras rolling. His claim to fame as far as I know is being able to put a world of hurt on a breakfast buffet but hell we all got friends like that.

David Kelly

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 01:25:34 PM »
When they have to tell you that a guy is funny then he probably isn't - at least on TV.  From his golfchannel bio, "Prior to joining Golf Channel in a full-time capacity, Rymer treated golf fans to his quick wit and "down home" humor as a sports commentator for ESPN since 1998."

His quick wit and "down home" humor was lost on me because I didn't even know he spent a decade at ESPN.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 01:40:34 PM »
Peter Jacobson -- funny?

Mike_Young

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 02:39:02 PM »
Pervs usually don't get CR humor. 
Baby's arms
Apples
Rib Cages
All have their place....

Lou_Duran

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 03:08:51 PM »
CR is funny without having to play-off personal issues and pathologies.  With Mike Young playing the straight man, the act is hilarious.  Watching CR react to Mike's presentation at the Dixie Cup was worth more than the price of admission.  CR's uncensored Jim Thorpe routine may be hard on prudish ears, but even the humorless would be forced to laugh.  He holds my interest when I see him on TV occasionally, and unlike the several nice looking women on TGC, I don't wonder how he got the gig.

In my previous golf groups, many on this site would be considered perverts and relegated to the nerd couch.   

Mike_Young

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 03:47:25 PM »
I just told a guy that people here didn't think he was funny.  He told me to relay the following:
"Tell them they are geeks and they can kiss my fat ass. And if they had to crawl out from behind their computers in their parent's basement to make a coherent statement on live national television as opposed to mindlessly and anonymously blogging away that they would fail about as miserably as I did the last time I tried weight watchers. "

"What did I do to stir them up?"

John_Cullum

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »

I think there is a difference between the type of folk that are "perverts" where golf courses / architecture / history are concerned and those that are consumed with the latest equipment, what the pros are doing, taking endless lessons,  seeking out places like the K club and Celtic Manor - the kind of folk who recount every single shot they hit of their round afterwards and talks about "the drive in" more than the actual golf.  

Don't be so sure about that
"We finally beat Medicare. "

JMEvensky

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 03:52:56 PM »

I just told a guy that people here didn't think he was funny.  He told me to relay the following:
"Tell them they are geeks and they can kiss my fat ass. And if they had to crawl out from behind their computers in their parent's basement to make a coherent statement on live national television as opposed to mindlessly and anonymously blogging away that they would fail about as miserably as I did the last time I tried weight watchers. "

"What did I do to stir them up?"

Did you forget to ask CR about having JK as a guest on his show?Talk about must see TV.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 03:56:43 PM »
Mike - okay, he's right, I admit it...but you tell him that I haven't lived in my parent's basement in at least 6 months!! (Okay, there was the time a few weeks ago, sure, but that was only because my girlfriend broke up with me and my new place was being steam cleaned).
Peter

David Kelly

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 04:17:43 PM »
The prosecution rests.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 04:43:41 PM »
The prosecution rests.

Maybe that was Peter Jacobson

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 04:53:41 PM »
Peter Jacobson -- funny?

Other things we've been told again and again:

- Joe Ogilvie: supersmart.  Warren Buffett of PGA Tour.
- Dustin Johnson: can dunk.  He can dunk.  He used to dunk a basketball. 
- Gary Woodland: college basketball player
- Tiger Woods: pound for pound the strongest Athlete in Stanford history (yes, the bar was low on that one)
- Raymond Floyd:  the stare.  Enough said.

"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Mike_Young

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 08:40:48 PM »
When they have to tell you that a guy is funny then he probably isn't - at least on TV.  From his golfchannel bio, "Prior to joining Golf Channel in a full-time capacity, Rymer treated golf fans to his quick wit and "down home" humor as a sports commentator for ESPN since 1998."

His quick wit and "down home" humor was lost on me because I didn't even know he spent a decade at ESPN.

I was told:
"That decade at ESPN made me enough money to move out of my mom's basement. "

RJ_Daley

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 10:33:54 AM »
I thought it was nice of CR to drop in along with Mike at our little Cuscowilla suare.  I think CR is funniest when he is not actually talking, but is looking up to the right at some shiny spoons dangling that no one else can see, with that country bumpkin-thinkin bout sumethin else grin, and you wonder what it is he ain't sayin. 

My perfect Georgia day would be spending it at Mike's house with CR being supervised by Mike the GT engineer, building a room in the basement for CR to move in, if TGC thing doesn't work out.  And Joe Barnett of Washington GA there to cook us up some shrimp and grits for dinner.  The only rule would be that you cain't say one damn thing bout golf all day.  And, of course Mike's wife there to administer first aid for all the construction injuries.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike_Young

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 10:46:34 AM »
I thought it was nice of CR to drop in along with Mike at our little Cuscowilla suare.  I think CR is funniest when he is not actually talking, but is looking up to the right at some shiny spoons dangling that no one else can see, with that country bumpkin-thinkin bout sumethin else grin, and you wonder what it is he ain't sayin. 

My perfect Georgia day would be spending it at Mike's house with CR being supervised by Mike the GT engineer, building a room in the basement for CR to move in, if TGC thing doesn't work out.  And Joe Barnett of Washington GA there to cook us up some shrimp and grits for dinner.  The only rule would be that you cain't say one damn thing bout golf all day.  And, of course Mike's wife there to administer first aid for all the construction injuries.
Hey, I'm a GT fan but no engineer.  I went to about five schools and took some classes there but not the nerd material of Rymer who is an actual graduate, plus All American and in their Athletic HoF.  If I had a basement we could definitely build him a room but it would require a licensed engineer to design a fan and ventilation system to keep that new room from ruining the fragence of the entire house for years. ;D

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 11:24:27 AM »
Mike,

Do you think we could work out a signal with Charlie, ala Carol Burnett ear tug, where he lets us know just before he farts on set.  I would love to watch the other co-hosts squirm in their seats and know why.

Mike_Young

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 06:08:43 PM »
Mike,

Do you think we could work out a signal with Charlie, ala Carol Burnett ear tug, where he lets us know just before he farts on set.  I would love to watch the other co-hosts squirm in their seats and know why.
We got a couple of signals we use..

Did you see the morning show live at the PGA Championship?  Fehrerty had told them to watch what he opened with and they were ready.  He begins to discuss Rory and how he injured his wrist the day before.  Says " It is amazing to me that a 22 year old man could hurt his right wrist like that.  At that age it should be one of the strongest muscles in his body."  Rymer was speechless..

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back