News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

The 9th at Cypress Point
« on: September 03, 2011, 02:24:36 PM »
Is this a good or great hole.  Did Mackenzie design it as a driveable par 4 with the pin on the lower level?

What is the correct way to play it?

Tom_Doak

Re: The 9th at Cypress Point
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 03:09:40 PM »
Joel:

I think it's a fascinating hole.

I am sure Dr. MacKenzie designed it so that it might occasionally be driven, or at least tempt players to try to drive onto the front right of the green.

At the same time, one of my most vivid memories of Cypress Point was that many years ago, when I had played the first few holes pretty well, my caddie suggested I hit a 7-iron from this tee, in order to use the widest part of the fairway and give myself a full 9-iron to the upper left hole location.  I choked on the second shot, but I think he suggested a legitimate way to attack the hole.  Few people would ever think of it ... but then some seniors might be playing to the exact same spot.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 03:22:27 PM »
Joel:

I think it's a fascinating hole.

I am sure Dr. MacKenzie designed it so that it might occasionally be driven, or at least tempt players to try to drive onto the front right of the green.

At the same time, one of my most vivid memories of Cypress Point was that many years ago, when I had played the first few holes pretty well, my caddie suggested I hit a 7-iron from this tee, in order to use the widest part of the fairway and give myself a full 9-iron to the upper left hole location.  I choked on the second shot, but I think he suggested a legitimate way to attack the hole.  Few people would ever think of it ... but then some seniors might be playing to the exact same spot.

With the pin upper left, I didn't think there was any play BUT a six iron down in front of the sand.   That's a tiny gap at the bottom of the green, with a left to right slope to increase the difficulty of getting in position for a bump and run up the green.   

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 05:10:52 PM »
It is a great driving hole, you can hit almost any club in your bag.

On Tuesday I hit 6 iron - wedge to the lower level.  The lower level is not flat, it has some slope which I thought was interesting.

Later tonight I'll try and post some photos, one of which is amazing which happened on this hole a few weeks ago.

This is one that I had forgot.  The tree can make a huge difference.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 05:18:25 PM by Joel_Stewart »

Sean Leary

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 05:15:33 PM »
I think 9 is great. 8 is the one I am not completely sold on.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 08:00:14 PM »
I've played Cypress for well over forty years and have always hit an iron off the tee for another iron to the green, top or botrtom. the penalty for hitting to the gunch right of the green can be very costly.

Bob

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 10:06:33 PM »
Photos of #9 were looked at time and time again when the 14th green site was being built at Friars Head.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 10:47:03 PM »
So here is my short story.

After playing CPC I sent a thank you note to one of the members who sponsored a foursome.  Of course I told him all about my shots which probably bored him to tears.  My story of the 9th was I hit 6 iron - wedge to about 15 feet and made the putt, yea me.

He sent me back an email telling me he was just down there a few weeks ago and hosted a PGA tour professional.  On the 9th, this pro decided to hit driver with the pin on the lower level.

Below is where the ball ended up!  Nice tap in eagle....

Jim Nugent

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 10:51:59 PM »
Have there been any holes-in-one at the 9th? 

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 11:01:25 PM »
Jim:  Don't know?  

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 08:59:26 AM »
The mantra given to me before my visit was:

If the pin is high, layup to a full club approach in.
If the pin is low, challenge the green and leave yourself a short flip in approach.

I must also agree with Tom on this one, this entire hole and mostly the green complex is one of the coolest/unique/out of the box things I've ever seen on a course.  I can't even begin to describe effectively how the green slithers up the hill and to the left and just how many different shots can be played in and around this green...

Sean,  whats your concerns on #8?  I thought it was terrific as well.  Was it the blind tee shot?

Mike Policano

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 11:19:20 AM »
Joel, it is an excellent short 4 that demands spot on shot making. As Sir Bob points out, missing the fairway or the green punishes your next shot.  The sand dunes around the hole rarely provide a playable shot that can be controlled. It results in a surprising number of players picking up after a few hacks and walking head down to No. 10.

Cheers, Mike

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 03:20:46 PM »
Joel, it is an excellent short 4 that demands spot on shot making. 

Wouldn't you agree that Cypress Point (as well as many other great courses) requires very precise golf shots. The 8th and 9th are great examples but there are many more shots at CPC that require such shots.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 04:06:53 PM »
Joel, it is an excellent short 4 that demands spot on shot making.  

Wouldn't you agree that Cypress Point (as well as many other great courses) requires very precise golf shots. The 8th and 9th are great examples but there are many more shots at CPC that require such shots.

I have never played a Mackenzie where you can get away with sloppy shots.   The green complexes repel shots, and the greens themselves severely punish shots in the wrong position.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 07:27:03 PM »
Joel,

A couple of years ago Daniel Chopra hit a THREE wood from the tee to the up pin and held the ball on that tiny platform.

Bob

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 11:41:16 AM »
Is this a good or great hole.

Great hole - options and interest on every shot - even a relatively short downhill putt.

Mike Benham

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 07:42:54 PM »

Great hole - options and interest on every shot - even a relatively short downhill putt.

And it offers a great photo op, assuming the subject holds their follow-through ...

« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 07:45:00 PM by Mike Benham »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 07:51:22 PM »
In addition to its wonderful playing options, the photos of this hole in its infancy (see Shackelford's book) are stunning. It still ties in nicely with its surrounding, if not quite as artfully as once-upon-a-time.
From the tee

Looking back from behind, 8th on the right.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Jordan Wall

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 08:21:56 PM »
It's a great hole.  Without a doubt.  When the pin was back left I would hit driver and try to put it into the front bunker.  A foursome could easily hit four different clubs off the tee.  Is that not the sign of a great short-par 4?

Mike Benham

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 08:29:15 PM »

We must have been at CPC on the same day:

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 08:56:24 PM »
Is Joel Stewart a pseudonym for Bobby Clampett? Read this~just came out today:

http://www.impactzonegolf.com/the-9th-hole-at-cypress-point-%E2%80%9Cmy-story%E2%80%9D/#comment-303

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 08:33:44 AM »
Have there been any holes-in-one at the 9th?  

Yes.

While I've forgotten his name, he was a caddy there. He hit 3 wood.

I believe it was before the open at PB in 2000. where the man Blogged about the Open for Digest or some pub.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jim Nugent

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 12:38:36 PM »
Adam, thanks for the info.  Since I'm on a roll here, I'll go for the next sort-of related question:  any holes in one at #7 at Olympic Lake? 

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 04:40:17 PM »
Adam, thanks for the info.  Since I'm on a roll here, I'll go for the next sort-of related question:  any holes in one at #7 at Olympic Lake? 

Doubt it, I was a member there 17 years and never heard of one.  Now that the hole is changed, and the players are longer, its more probable.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 06:30:53 PM »
There will probably be some chances at 1's on #7 at Olympic next year.  It has been drive-able for a long time (I saw Nick Price drive it in 1993 or 1994) and the hole is only slightly longer now than then.   I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine that there will be a good number of players in the field who are capable of carrying the ball 290 yds slightly uphill at sea level (and at coastal temps) at least based on my PGA Tour television watching the last few weeks.  I think the green itself will be less hospitable to landing close to the hole now that it is two levels instead of three, though, which will make an ace or short eagle putt less likely.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back