News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tiger_Bernhardt

Re: The 9th at Cypress Point
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2011, 10:15:53 PM »
I so like this hole. i have played it all sorts of ways including driving the green once. I have found though the penalty for missing the green is high from wherever you play the 2nd shot. I think it creates a second level of risk reward for the tee ball. I end up thinking a rescue club to the first area gives me this best chance when balancing all the issues.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 09:37:59 AM »
And it offers a great photo op, assuming the subject holds their follow-through ...

Mike

Is this better ? ;)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2011, 04:52:15 PM »
Based on one play, it's a great hole.  I'm slightly biased as I hit 6 iron, 9 iron, kick in.

I thought 8 was a great hole too, two very contrasting consecutive short par 4s.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean Leary

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 05:32:41 PM »
Based on one play, it's a great hole.  I'm slightly biased as I hit 6 iron, 9 iron, kick in.

I thought 8 was a great hole too, two very contrasting consecutive short par 4s.

Mark,

I am still on the fence about 8, as I mentioned above. I have only played it once and can't get my head around it either way. Part of me thinks its great and part of me thinks that it might not be so beloved if it were on any other course but Cypress. Thoughts?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 06:00:15 PM »

Mark,

I am still on the fence about 8, as I mentioned above. I have only played it once and can't get my head around it either way. Part of me thinks its great and part of me thinks that it might not be so beloved if it were on any other course but Cypress. Thoughts?

Sean,

I asked before, but what is it specifically you don't like about #8?

Sean Leary

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2011, 09:13:02 PM »
Sorry Kalen, I must have missed that. Not sure I love the tee shot I guess. Going for the green doesn't seem to make sense, and the layup over the dune is fine, not great. Greensite is very cool though.

Quirky hole for sure. Again, I am more unsure than anything. Need more plays clearly, :)

William_G

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2011, 12:06:50 AM »
Love the hole as it is drivable down the right, or close to it.... penal if you don't...

#14 at Old Mac reminds me of this hole, as it is drivable or close to it and a little less penal if you don't  :D

thanks
It's all about the golf!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2011, 09:38:12 AM »
Sean,

I agree that going for the green on 8 isn't a sensible strategy.  I don't think all great short par 4s need to be driveable, though.  I think the drive is a great shot.  It's easy to hit the left side of the fairway but that condemns you to a tricky second shot.  A braver drive down the RHS leaves a much more straightforward approach but risks leaving the ball in the waste area.  A really challenging strategic shot, for me.  The approach, to a smallish green (particularly with a flag tucked behind the front left bunker) requires great precision and missing the green leaves an awkward recovery.  It's a hole that looks like it should be a birdie chance but over agression can easily lead to a bogey.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2011, 09:57:15 AM »
Sean,

I liked #8 because even though its undriveable, except for maybe Bubba....

It does make you decide how much you are going to bite off and chew on the tee shot.  Play it safe over to the low area of the fairway and you are faced with a difficult approach shot of over 150 yards.  Take a more aggressive line and be rewarded with a much shorter shot in with a greatly improved look at the green.  You can hit anything from a long iron to a driver off the tee depending on how confident you feel.

As for the green complex itself, I totally loved it.  Its easily the most undulating, multi-leveled green on the course and you really need some touch just to 2 putt it if you are on the wrong level.

But I would agree with you, need a few more plays to further digest it!   ;)

Lou_Duran

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2011, 11:41:37 AM »
I've played Cypress for well over forty years and have always hit an iron off the tee for another iron to the green, top or botrtom. the penalty for hitting to the gunch right of the green can be very costly.

Bob

Perhaps the members and frequent guests like Bob, Tiger, and Joel felt a greater freedom of choice off the tee on 9 than the one-timers.  Ditto for laying up on #16.  Unlike Mark, the thought of laying up with a 6 iron off the tee would never have crossed my mind, yet it appears to be the sensible shot (maybe a 5 on 16).

Shivas nearly drove the green on #8 with a wondrous shot that I thought was lost well right in the dunes.  The reverse camber tee shot didn't fit my eye, but my weak 3-wood down the middle kicked into an impossible lie in the left rough.  Nice uphill shot into an highly sloped green with a back pin.  I don't remember if Shivas finished the hole with a chip for his second. 

I don't quite understand why CPC is rated so high.  Most of the holes aren't extraordinary, yet it is my favorite course.  Go figure!         

Mark Pearce

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2011, 12:05:51 PM »
Lou,

I can't claim the credit for thinking.  My caddie haneded me a 6 iron and I wasn't going to argue.  The other three players in the group (a member and two more frequent guests) all hit driver.  Two made bogey and one lost his ball!

PThomas

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2011, 12:46:47 PM »
In addition to its wonderful playing options, the photos of this hole in its infancy (see Shackelford's book) are stunning. It still ties in nicely with its surrounding, if not quite as artfully as once-upon-a-time.
From the tee

Looking back from behind, 8th on the right.

sigh.........
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2011, 01:18:30 PM »
I will relay my favorite caddie story because it revolves around the 9th. Which by the way, is a GREAT hole on many levels. From the aesthetic to the challenge, everything about the hole is poster boy for why length of a hole, or pure length, is immaterial to quality gca.

A former pro baseball player was on the first tee. Introductions to caddies were made and this ball player turns to this well seasoned caddie and says " I don't want anything but yardage from you today." The caddie is fine with that. When they get to the ninth, this player has a birdie putt and at the last minute turns to the caddie and says "What'ya think?" The caddie begins to stalk the putt from all sides, and finally says "22 feet". The player says " No, No, what's it going to do?" So, the caddie does what everyone wants to do but few have the balls to do, he gave a sheit read and the player putted it off the green.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jordan Wall

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2011, 03:40:17 PM »
Sean,

8 has a great green, in my opinion the best part of the hole.  80 some years after it's design, it's still one of a kind and that's quite a testament.  Not to mention, it fits in perfectly with the routing and given Cypress has such a great routing that can't be overlooked.

I've had the same thoughts on the hole as you, but in the end I think it's brilliant.

P.S. We need to get a group and head to The Ram again.

Sean Leary

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2011, 05:50:25 PM »
Sean,

8 has a great green, in my opinion the best part of the hole.  80 some years after it's design, it's still one of a kind and that's quite a testament.  Not to mention, it fits in perfectly with the routing and given Cypress has such a great routing that can't be overlooked.

I've had the same thoughts on the hole as you, but in the end I think it's brilliant.

P.S. We need to get a group and head to The Ram again.

Fair enough. obviously you have a lot of experience there, so I am not surprised.

Lets play instead...

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2011, 08:37:49 PM »
I've played Cypress for well over forty years and have always hit an iron off the tee for another iron to the green, top or botrtom. the penalty for hitting to the gunch right of the green can be very costly.

Bob

Perhaps the members and frequent guests like Bob, Tiger, and Joel felt a greater freedom of choice off the tee on 9 than the one-timers. 

I've been really lucky to play here more times then I deserve.  With that said, everytime I play here I feel it's my last time, my luck can't be that great.

I was telling Noel yesterday that last week was maybe the first time that I really felt at ease playing the course which assisted me greatly.  I wasn't overcome by the scenic beauty and didn't take any crazy chances of trying to drive 8 or 9.  The one thing that has always helped playing CPC after my 2nd or 3rd round there is to play to the front of the greens, just don't get behind the hole!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2011, 09:53:14 PM »
Playing below the hole is ALWAYS the rule on Dr Mackenzue's courses!

Brandon Urban

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2011, 10:11:36 PM »
I think Lou's quote about one time visitors hits the nail on the head...

I am pretty sure if I ever have the chance to walk amongst those cypress trees, there's is no way I am not having a go at that green. I imagine it is one of those places I could shoot a million and still leave with a smile on my face so the chance of framing a scorecard with a 3 or maybe even a 2 on it is too tempting, for me anyway.

181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back