News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Colton

Mistwood (IL) Renovation - $6 Million well-spent?
« on: September 02, 2011, 11:12:09 AM »
I was surprised to hear that Mistwood, a middle-road public course in Chicago, closed recently to begin a $6 million renovation, with the goal is becoming a top 5 public course in Chicago. Original architect Ray Hearn is doing the work.

http://heraldnews.suntimes.com/sports/7140388-419/cronin-on-golf-mistwood-golf-club-getting-a-redo.html

or

http://www.clubandresortbusiness.com/2011/08/19/mistwood-golf-club-begins-extensive-renovation/
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 05:31:31 PM by Jim Colton »

PThomas

Re: Mistwood (IL) Renovation - $6 Million well-spent?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 11:15:37 AM »
$6 m ??  esp in this economy?  good luck getting that back!

I hope they do something about the 90degree dogleg left par 5 around the water...God I wonder how many balls go  in there each year
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 12:08:18 PM »
Interesting. It's not a bad golf course in it's current state, and could be improved in some places but I would assume there are some limitations to the property.
H.P.S.

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 12:30:01 PM »
Given that I'm Chicago's biggest access whore and I've barely heard of the place, I guess at least there's some upside in terms of visibility.  And top 5 public isn't a huge hurdle in Chicago if one is properly motivated...Doak 6 probably does it...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Brian Hilko

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 03:26:41 PM »
I was stunned to find this out. I always thought mistwood was a solid course and well priced. They are moving the 3rd green. I thought that was a solid par 5 already. This just doesn't make sense to me. I hope it pays off because they have a great staff. I always have a good experience playing at Mistwood.
Down with the brown

George Freeman

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 03:47:28 PM »
Eeek, not so sure about this one, unless the owner has very deep pockets.  That is a big time investment for a golf course in the saturated Chicago market.

Isn't there already a pond on #3?? 

Other than Cog Hill #4 and maybe the Glen Club, I'm not sure what other courses would be considered the consensus "Top 5 Publics" in Chicago's ever expanding metro area.  Speaking of the expanding Chicago metro area, Mistwood is waaayyyy out there.

Hope it works out for them.

Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 05:25:58 PM »
I can't help noticing that Club and Resort Business lifted my entire golf column from a recent issue of the SouthtownStar and southtownstar.com for their "report" on Mistwood. They were nice enough to quote me and credit me, but did no original reporting. Hey, at least they spelled my name (and Jim McWethy's) correctly.

I'd link to my original report, but we put them behind a paywall after a week or so. A leaky one, it appears! :)
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Jim Colton

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 05:31:18 PM »
The article calls it a "bold gamble", although I'd only call it a gamble if there's a chance or expectation that the owner is going to get that $6 million back. This seems more like an emotional play by somebody who's probably got money to burn and is already "in" as opposed to somebody looking at it as a return on investment. Maybe Tim C can address whether this is the case from his talks w/ Mr. McWethy.

And as George pointed out, getting into the top 5 of Chicago public golf is not exactly a huge prize with a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Let's assume that Hearn is able to improve the course enough to get it into that second tier of public courses below Cog Hill - Prairie Landing, Cantigny, Pine Meadow, Thunderhawk, etc. I gotta believe many of these courses are struggling right now.

Also, the article and their website don't like a lot of extensive changes that would lead one to believe it'll be that much better. They're moving a green, adding some tee boxes, adding some revetted bunkers (on a marshland course?) and lining a pond with rock-work.

Anybody know how much Medinah is spending to renovate course #1?

Tim: how about this link? http://heraldnews.suntimes.com/sports/7140388-419/cronin-on-golf-mistwood-golf-club-getting-a-redo.html

JR Potts

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 08:45:14 PM »

Tim: how about this link? http://heraldnews.suntimes.com/sports/7140388-419/cronin-on-golf-mistwood-golf-club-getting-a-redo.html

With huge a amount of engineering needed to control flooding issues, waaaaay less.  That is, if the members approve it - and given this economy, that won't be an easy task.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 01:18:21 AM »
The article calls it a "bold gamble", although I'd only call it a gamble if there's a chance or expectation that the owner is going to get that $6 million back. This seems more like an emotional play by somebody who's probably got money to burn and is already "in" as opposed to somebody looking at it as a return on investment. Maybe Tim C can address whether this is the case from his talks w/ Mr. McWethy.

And as George pointed out, getting into the top 5 of Chicago public golf is not exactly a huge prize with a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Let's assume that Hearn is able to improve the course enough to get it into that second tier of public courses below Cog Hill - Prairie Landing, Cantigny, Pine Meadow, Thunderhawk, etc. I gotta believe many of these courses are struggling right now.

Also, the article and their website don't like a lot of extensive changes that would lead one to believe it'll be that much better. They're moving a green, adding some tee boxes, adding some revetted bunkers (on a marshland course?) and lining a pond with rock-work.

Jim, nice job finding that link. The Hearld-News, as you may know, is a sister paper in Joliet which also covers Romeoville.

Jim McWethy firmly believes the renovation of the course, plus the new clubhouse (a dazzler based on the renderings, and which might cost $3 million to $4 million including the cost of knocking down the old one), will put Mistwood on the map. If now, well, it's a hell of a nice place to host the Illinois Women's Open.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Matthew Sander

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 11:38:30 AM »
The Mistwood website has a rather extensive section detailing the renovations being done. I posted a link on the revetted bunker thread, but this seemed like an appropriate thread for that link and another which shows detailed hole renderings with before/after images:

Construction Pics - http://www.mistwoodgolf.net/courserenovationpics
Before/After hole renderings - http://www.mistwoodgolf.net/courserenovationconcepts

Some observations/questions...

-The addition of many revetted bunkers in addition to other newly constructed and renovated bunkers will lead to multiple bunker styles throughout the course. I know this has been discussed on GCA before...some hate it, others are more open to it.

-I'm a little perplexed by the placement of two new bunkers on the par three 14th. The two new bunkers that are well short of the green...from the longer tees (which play across the water), they seem nearly out of play and serve as additional punishment for a wild miss. From the shorter tees they seem to present additional obstacles on a hole that seems to have plenty of potential trouble (greenside bunkers, water right, etc.).

-On a positive note, they seem to be expanding short grass areas around many of the greens which is usually a good thing.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 02:56:18 PM »
How old is this golf course?
Why do all the before and afters look the exact same?
When will the next renovation take place?
Why isn't Melvyn doing something about this?
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jud_T

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 03:23:55 PM »
Why are they adding a bunch of trees?  Is this due to safety considerations?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ben Sims

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 03:45:38 PM »
I am trying so hard to turn over a new leaf and be a positive person.  My job in life isn't to be critical.  It doesn't do any good to bash on work that people are getting in golf right now.  But (what would HH the Lama say right now) someone worked very hard to produce those renderings.  I hope they get exactly what they are bargaining for.  I hope though, that pond enlargement, tree planting, and adding out-of-character bunkers isn't what it takes to get a golf course highly regarded.  

Mark McKeever

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 04:00:55 PM »
$6 m ??  esp in this economy?  good luck getting that back!

I hope they do something about the 90degree dogleg left par 5 around the water...God I wonder how many balls go  in there each year

Maybe they will drain the pond and sell the balls to recoup money.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Nick Church

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 09:05:35 AM »
Forgive my ignorance... how often do stacked sod bunkers need to be rehabbed?  That idea is anchored in my head though I cannot cite a reference.  It immediately came to mind when Tennessee National was under construction.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 11:07:53 AM »
Given that I'm Chicago's biggest access whore and I've barely heard of the place, I guess at least there's some upside in terms of visibility.  And top 5 public isn't a huge hurdle in Chicago if one is properly motivated...Doak 6 probably does it...

There are bigger AW's in town...
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tim Nugent

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 11:55:59 AM »
How old is this golf course?
Opened in 1998
Why do all the before and afters look the exact same?
They don't. The New have been Ray-Traced to give it a 3-D look while the Old are plain 2-D  ;)
When will the next renovation take place?
After they realize that Revetted Bunkers Clay based soils that experience Freeze-Thaw cycles don't last forever.  Hopefully thy installed some misting spray heads to keep the faces irrigated.  That sod looks to be either straight Bluegrass or a Bluegrass/Fescue blend. Some of those faces rival Hell Bunker's.
Why isn't Melvyn doing something about this?
Maybe he thinks it's Land fit for a Purpose - whatever that means.  Oh,ya, no carts shown in the pictures.
Cheers
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:01:41 PM by Tim Nugent »
Coasting is a downhill process

Philippe Binette

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 02:38:21 PM »
I've seen walks down death row that were more enjoyable than the renovated golf course...

jeffwarne

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 03:23:31 PM »
I am trying so hard to turn over a new leaf and be a positive person.  My job in life isn't to be critical.  It doesn't do any good to bash on work that people are getting in golf right now.  But (what would HH the Lama say right now) someone worked very hard to produce those renderings.  I hope they get exactly what they are bargaining for.  I hope though, that pond enlargement, tree planting, and adding out-of-character bunkers isn't what it takes to get a golf course highly regarded.  

Ben,
Why so negative?

Nothing better than repeat business......
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:49:55 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Matthew Sander

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
I just wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone has any thoughts on Mistwood post-renovations.  I haven't seen it personally, but I know it was a pretty pricey and extensive project.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 10:44:32 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Matthew Sander

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2013, 10:48:09 PM »
Here's a post redo review:

http://chicago.twoguyswhogolf.com/reviews/mistwood.html

Oh my! Could that write up sound anymore antithetical to the typical biases of GCAers (yes I know, broad brush).  I'll have to see it for myself.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2013, 11:05:56 PM »
One rarely sees an architectural critique in a "review" unless it's Brad Klein special on GW.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Howard Riefs

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2013, 11:08:24 PM »
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 11:11:02 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back