News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

Re: H'cane Irene
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2011, 03:08:22 PM »
Mr Braley - according to the BBC website 11 deaths have been attributed to the storm, can you explain what you find amusing?
Cave Nil Vino

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2011, 03:41:11 PM »
My wife and I are stuck in the Catskills w/my parents and brother...NY Thruway closed south of Albany.  Not the worst place to be, I think a lot of NJ got hit a lot less than expected. 
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

archie_struthers

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2011, 04:31:58 PM »
 :( ;D :D ;)

They made us evacuate the barrier islands  along the Jersey Shore yesterday . Strangely enough my hometown of Ocean City  (Cape May County) was barely touched by the hurricane.  We were right in the middle of the path, and I can only theorize that we were spared by being right on the median. Lots of rain, a little flooding but less damage than many nasty noreasters  we've been thru! Never lost power in town.

Came home this mid morning today from the mainland which had lots of power outages, checked the house then headed back across the bridge to Somers Point, and my home club , Greate Bay. It's a Willie Park Jr built in the early 1920's with lots of mature trees, some of which came down while I was driving around this afternoon.  Not being a tree hugged, it was nonetheless rather startling to see how many fell in the last twenty four hours. The course was pretty firm in spite of the rain , a real good thing, and all we have is a serious cleanup job.  It's a bad weekend to lose for all the struggling publics in our area, being one of the last big weekends of the summer. Now add the cost of cleanup to the revenue losses. We lost a big Saturday night wedding , which may not rebook as our dates To reschedule might not work for the bride and groom.  

When I went back to the club our starter and his guys were there , more worried about the club than anyone else. Kudos to my man Bernie and his staff, we often forget them but when you need some dirty work done, look for the super and bag guys every time!  They always go the extra mile for us golfers.

Will post some tree pictures later if possible!  Hope all our brethren are safe .
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 04:34:55 PM by archie_struthers »

Robert Emmons

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2011, 04:52:01 PM »
The Hurricane on the North Shore of Long Island had a small impact at Huntington Country Club. We lost about 12 trees/Limbs and no damage to the course. Playable by Tuesday with tourny conditions by Wednesday. Still no power since 7am...RHE

mike_malone

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2011, 07:25:33 PM »
 Checked out Rolling Green  and there were a few great old trees that came down. None affect play. Things looked pretty good thankfully. I agree that it was far better to prepare for what rightly could have been disastrous and thankfully was not. We did not even lose power.
AKA Mayday

Kalen Braley

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2011, 09:48:17 PM »
For the record.  

My comments were only intended to mock/make light of the absolutelty lame and pathetic media coverage on the event...which seemingly to me was just because it so happened to involved the NYC area.  I did not intend to make light of those who suffered otherwise and even lost thier lives.  If you intrepreted it otherwise, then I apologize.

P.S.  The comment concerning Glen Beck was meant to be sarcastic and mocking as well, but I guess I failed there too!  :(

Brock Peyer

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2011, 09:54:51 PM »
I lived on the NC coast for years and have been through 7 hurricanes.  While they are intriguing to follow and the people on the weather channel are great entertainment, it is best when they stay far out to sea. 

One of my favorite golf trees was taken down by a hurricane, quite a shame.

Michael Ryan

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2011, 08:56:17 AM »
I'll try and upload some pictures today-but Country Club of Fairfield is severely flooded.  The storm hit within 30 minutes of high tide in the Long Island Sound and the surge completely decimated Sasco Beach (public beach next to the 8th hole of CCoF) and an immense amount of sand and water broke through onto the golf course.  Looks like holes 3-8 and 10-15 are submerged....

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2011, 09:23:14 AM »
Brad at least knew what to save. Count your blessings. A cat 3 or higher hurricane does damage that fits the medias hype with great human misery and property destruction. This storm was just not much. It really points out weakness in local drainage, tree care etc. It always points out if your local utility is keeping its work up. Was the storm surge enough to hurt Maidstone or any other directly on the Atlantic course?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 02:48:54 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Brad Klein

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2011, 03:22:38 PM »
I'm thinking of a Hurricane Irene book sale on the Ross volume: $5 off for everyone, except for Kalen Braley, who gets charged $10 more. Email me if you're interested, as I'm tired of moving crates.

Meanwhile, a wrap-up of storm damage on East Cast golf courses: http://tinyurl.com/3lh9jo6

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2011, 05:00:15 PM »
Any idea how PV and Galloway National got on? I've a few days at one next week and a visit to the other.
Cave Nil Vino

Bill Boonn

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2011, 06:43:52 PM »
This is the picture from Whitemarsh Valley that Steve mentioned yesterday.  I hope it has drained a bit since yesterday...

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/gallery?section=news/national_world&id=8330643&photo=76

archie_struthers

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2011, 09:22:16 PM »
 ::) :'( :'( :'(

Wow, I really wish the superintendent and members good luck with Whitemarsh, which I really enjoy playing. Lots of great memories watching and caddying in the IVB tournament there in the 70's....ouch......lets hope we g.et. Cool dry and slightly windy weather for the next week or two !

Sam Morrow

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2011, 09:24:23 PM »
I talked to my cousin who lives next to Woodcrest, she said there was no major damage that she saw.

Robert Emmons

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2011, 08:35:50 AM »
Today will be the third day without power at Huntington Country Club on the North Shore of LI...RHE

Jim Franklin

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2011, 09:27:22 AM »
The people that say the media overblew this hurricane need to understand the power of mother nature. For all those that say it wasn't "that bad", please come to my house and help me clean my flooded basement. Fortunately my neighbor's tree did not fall on my house as I expect it to one day, but my basement is toast and furniture is ruined.

Getting this back to golf related, Baltimore CC lost a big tree on the first hole (actually a good thing), but the back nine of both courses remain closed.
Mr Hurricane

David Cronheim

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2011, 09:57:15 AM »
Mark,

I'm not sure how Galloway or PV came through the storm, but I can tell you that the hurricane came ashore at Little Egg Harbor, NJ, which if you look on google maps, is VERY close to Galloway. Reports I've heard is that the area down there is in pretty rough shape. For the other leg of your trip, I got an e-mail from Deal this morning saying that power was still out at the clubhouse and the crew was still clearing trees off the course. However, they expected to be open by this weekend, which is the club championship and a very big tradition at Deal. A few hundred spectators usually follow the final match for the Championship. I think you should be fine at Deal, but there will certainly be some areas of the course that are a bit damaged.
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

Jim Colton

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2011, 11:54:55 AM »
Some more pics of golf course damage from Irene: http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/2011-08/photos-storm-irene#slide=1

Bruce Katona

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2011, 01:48:16 PM »
As of yet our portion of Morristown, NJ has not regained power due to the flooding of an electrical substation.  Service to a part of town was restored earlier this morning.  Hopefully whn I get home this evening the lights are on.

Below is a link to some photos.  The highway wash out is Rt 287 very close to where Knoll Golf Course is located.  This has added a huge commuting burden as many of the county and local roads are closed in ceratin locations as flood waters have not yet receeded. The Interstate highways are generally built above the 100 year flood elevation and are passible even in the worst weather.

http://photos.nj.com/njcom_photo_essays/2011/08/hurricane_irene_dramatic_photo.html

PThomas

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2011, 02:04:22 PM »
BTW..

Glen Beck claimed the storm is a "blessing"....

....so it can't be that bad right?    :)

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/08/27/2011-08-27_glenn_beck_exfox_news_host_hurricane_irene_is_a_blessing_from_god.html

i guess some people get to make a living and/or get off by  by saying the total opposite of what a person with any brains would say

politicians and media like him are why i get scared shitless about our country's future sometimes
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

SPDB

« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2011, 02:21:29 PM »
Mark -
I was supposed to spend three days at PV this past weekend as part of an annual trip, but when it finally became clear that the weather was going to make golf after midday saturday impossible, we rescheduled to Cincinnati/Camargo, where weather was perfect.

Bruce - Oddly enough I flew in and out of Morristown and was actually able to make it in there on Monday morning, where it seemed that the only part of the airfield that wasn't underwater was the runway on which we landed.

I have been at PV during some rainstorms that, while bad, did not approach the level we saw this past weekend. Any sandy areas that collect water runoff (e.g. the larger expanse in front of 2 green, around 3 green, around both greens at 8, 10 green and in between 18 tee and fairway) can get pretty washed out, but overall the course drains exceedingly well. I can't imagine any stabilization problem, but I would be curious if the area behind 9 green and 18 managed to stay intact. Who knows, maybe we will finally have a skyline green behind 9L green!

David_Tepper

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2011, 02:37:20 PM »
Brad Klein article on golf course damage in the northeast due to Irene:

http://www.golfweek.com/news/2011/aug/29/good-night-irene-eastern-seaboard-cleans/

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2011, 03:25:05 PM »
Just because areas don't have the hurricane-force winds, doesn't mean that damage can't be done.  Here are flooding damage pics from Vermont:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/incredible-pictures-of-irenes-destruction-in-verm
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 03:37:42 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

Bruce Katona

« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2011, 04:23:23 PM »
The police were directing traffic in the area immediately surrounding the airport as most of the signals were not working due to the power loss.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2011, 05:37:22 PM »
Yale is out of commission for now. Damage does not sound too bad, but they are without electricity.

The beaches in New Haven area got hit really hard:

http://articles.courant.com/2011-08-29/news/hc-irene-east-haven-0830-20110829_1_summer-home-irene-front

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back