News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

The Johnnie Walker @ Gleneagles
« on: August 25, 2011, 06:21:28 PM »
This week's euro tour event is over the Monarch's/PGA Centenary/Ryder Cup 2014/whateverthehellitscalled course at luvverly gleneagles this week. You guys seeing any of it? Good introduction to the forthcoming next euro location for the bestestest tournament in, ehm, tournament golf.
Aye, RIGHT!
They cannae take oor freedummmmmmmmmmmmm,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Andy Stamm

Re: The Johnnie Walker @ Gleneagles
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 06:56:02 PM »
Breaks my heart to see tournaments on that course with the King's (and Queen's) right next door...

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 01:06:06 AM »
Breaks my heart to see tournaments on that course with the King's (and Queen's) right next door...
And Auchterarder !

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 02:08:19 AM »
As (the absent) Darren Clarke said a couple of years ago 'its the 4th best course in Auchterarder.'

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 07:56:53 AM »
Martin

They cannae take oor freedummmmmmmmmmmmm,

Certainly not for a bottle of Johnnie Walker, that’s the overspill or as some call it’ Export Quality’ - You know the stuff, suitable for riders and players but certainly not Walkers

Melvyn
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 07:58:29 AM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »

I was told to skip it and play The Kings or Queens.

Anthony

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 01:06:53 PM »

Amen.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 01:17:52 PM »
Kinda sad the Nicklaus/Kidd/Nicklaus creation still hasn't got it right. Just a most beautiful wonderful location for a golf course. Having both played and caddied on them, I adore the Kings and Queens.
Next they're going to sub-air EVERY green on the course...
Melvyn, I support sending the blends south of the border, of course!
Clayts, hope you enjoyed the Torrance! Arrived just as you were putting out on 18 on sunday. Gary Koch did well for a desk jockey too.
cheers,
FBD.

Tom Kelly

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 01:31:51 PM »
As (the absent) Darren Clarke said a couple of years ago 'its the 4th best course in Auchterarder.'

Soon to be the 5th once 'G West' opens?!

Andy Stamm

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 01:34:45 PM »
Kinda sad the Nicklaus/Kidd/Nicklaus creation still hasn't got it right. Just a most beautiful wonderful location for a golf course. Having both played and caddied on them, I adore the Kings and Queens.
Next they're going to sub-air EVERY green on the course...
Melvyn, I support sending the blends south of the border, of course!
Clayts, hope you enjoyed the Torrance! Arrived just as you were putting out on 18 on sunday. Gary Koch did well for a desk jockey too.
cheers,
FBD.

Martin,

They're sub-airing every green on the Centennial right? They're not touching the King's or Queen's are they?

In other news, I was generously offered tickets to this event last year, but I turned them down. If it'd been on the King's, I'd have run all the way with a perma-grin. I can see how Loch Lomond wants a big event, so does what it takes to bring it there, which means that a great event in Scotland isn't played at a traditional and great Scottish course. But, when Gleneagles hosts events, I don't understand why they insist on playing it on that course. It's a great loss to golf in my opinion.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 01:58:44 PM »
Martin,

The greens on the Torrance played beautifully - perfect to putt and really quite firm to play to so you had to hit good shots.
It was difficult to find any pitch marks which is always a good sign.
I finished up, went down and walked the Old Course in the afternoon - what  a pleasure.
Gary Koch did play well.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 01:03:33 AM »

Soon to be the 5th once 'G West' opens?!
Who says G West is opening ?

Last time I asked about it on here, I was told it was laying fallow.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 05:59:44 PM »
Andy,
only the 2014 so far...
Mike,
I'm coming round to really starting to like the Torrance. Kind of understated - unlike its next-door neighbour!
Brian,
you most certainly have a point. I ADORE the Q and the K. They speak to my old scottish golfing soul like few others.
F.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 06:01:52 PM by Martin Glynn Bonnar »

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 03:13:00 AM »
Martin,
i have not played the 2 holes at the end they took from the Torrance and put on the Devlin - but they look good from the clubhouse. It seems a pity they did that because the 'new' 2nd and 3rd don't look as good.
It is quite fun to pay and i can never get that short par four, 7th right.

Brad Isaacs

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 10:34:26 AM »
I don't think the Kings or Queens are long enough for today's pro. They are much more fun for me than the Ryder cup course though. Auchteraeder(sp)  House is a great place to stay!  Is there enough spectator viewing on the Kings? I don't think there is.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 10:38:20 AM »
I had trouble getting excited about it. I am a links man at heart. That being aid it is a very good parkland course.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 01:14:49 PM »
This playoff is going on so long Thomas Bjorn might run out of cigarettes!   ;D
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

RJ_Daley

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, 01:21:23 PM »
Aye neffers, twas liek i' twas entinded tae be a auld fashiun Scot'ish plae'uff o'ae'deen 'oles.  Faer they would'a plae'd the saim ole, tae ae'deenth last- par fiev, ae'deen feckin dimes!  :o ::) ;D

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 01:43:18 PM »
Sich a preishius wee trruffee, whi'a wee gloob ful'a ambir niktur.  The Daenish eldir wun'na war o'boordum an'adrrishiun. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 01:45:52 PM »
Sich a preishius wee trruffee, whi'a wee gloob ful'a ambir niktur.  The Daenish eldir wun'na war o'boordum an'adrrishiun. 

That playoff took so long some of the whiskey evaporated from the trophy.   ;)

Congrats to Bjorn.  His irons in the playoff were laser-like.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 01:50:44 PM »
it took some patience to watch them play that hole five times. The 18th on the Kings would have been more fun.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2011, 01:52:02 PM »
Joe, it seems to me that the weather, wind and cold, took the possible thrill out of the par 5, and going for the green in two.  I wonder if they could have changed the playoff hole order to compensate for the weather and mix up the holes in par and distance, rather than ground hog day, playing the 18th over and over.  Maybe it had something to do with keeping the grand stand crowd comfy and in place It was OK, I guess.... interesting in its own way.

Maybe the trophy comes with a wee little hammer or axe and a note; "incase of boredom, use axe to break globe!"  ;) ;D 8)

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2011, 01:56:13 PM »
It would have been more interesting if they could have moved a tee forward at some point so that is was reachable - but they need to get those sponsors signs on the TV.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back