News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Harshbarger

Re: The Wisdom of the Crowds - Golf Rankings
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2011, 02:26:41 PM »
Jim, that's a great point, and this concept does seem to point to factors which make some markets not as free.

Why couldn't something similar be done with golf courses? 

David,

I did something along those lines on the recent Golf Digest rankings.

http://www.wegoblogger31.com/2011/05/breaking-down-golf-digest-rankings-part.html

Jim, that's very cool. Now imagine you could get the same info but instead of limited to the top 100 courses you could find courses that meet your tastes across thousands of courses. So if I was traveling to Minnesota and said find me a course like Leatherstocking i'd like to know a course like White Bear Yacht Club exists.  Or, if I'm taking a client out in Miami and she says she really likes some course I've never heard of in Dallas, I could find a similar course For an outing.

Dave
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Jud_T

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2011, 02:29:25 PM »
Jim,

How is Shadow Creek similar to NGLA?  Haven't played either so I'm genuinely interested in how you made that connection...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JC Jones

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2011, 02:49:43 PM »
Two points about Jim's very cool analysis:

1.  Maidstone appears as similar to the great courses yet it doesn't come close in rankings.

2.  The data is incomplete because the GD Top 100 omits "outliers"
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jim Colton

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2011, 02:57:44 PM »
Jud,

I used the Golf Digest category scores to determine which of the 7 categories played a bigger or lesser role in a course's total score. The Digest formula gives equal weights to 6 of the categories with x2 for Shot Values, so on average a given category score would be 12.5% of its total score. But courses each have their own characteristics that vary by category (for example, 13.82% of Double Eagle's total score comes from the Conditioning category).

For the similarity rankings, I simply used a given course's relative category weights and applied it to all other courses individual category scores and tracked how each performed relative to the straightforward 12.5% weights. For the most part they make sense, but I'm sure you can isolate examples that on the surface don't compute, like the one you pointed out. In the case of Shadow Creek's, here are its relative category weights:

Shot Values   12.30%
Resistance to Scoring   11.69%
Design Variety   12.70%
Memorability   12.88%
Aesthetics                    13.00%
Conditioning   12.36%
Ambience                   12.78%

Its relative category weights are similar to National's:

Shot Values   12.26%
Resistance to Scoring   11.57%
Design Variety   12.80%
Memorability   13.01%
Aesthetics   12.88%
Conditioning   12.04%
Ambience   13.15%

In the GD ratings, Resistance to Scoring, Aesthetics and Conditioning are the three that vary most from course to course. So a course that shares the same relative strength or weakness in those categories is likely to show up in these top 10 similarity ranks.

This was merely a mechanical exercise that leverages the category scores to define what makes these top courses great - so therefore it assumes that they are the right categories and amounts, which is a pretty big assumption, especially for a unique course like NGLA.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2011, 06:06:53 PM »
Not yelling your the man

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back