News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Morrow

Atlanta Athletic Club and Golf, Winners This Week
« on: August 14, 2011, 06:54:07 PM »
Before all the whiners start another thread about AAC being a goat ranch and a course not even worth seeing I think a few things need to be said. AAC did it's job, it gave us a great PGA that was compelling to watch. We saw some wonderful golf with a very different group of players, I think the game of golf is better for it. Tonight we can go to bed not talking about Tigers struggles but instead we can think about a great PGA.

Thanks AAC, you and golf were great winners this week.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Atlanta Athletic Club and Golf, Winners This Week
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 06:59:19 PM »
Small gallerys and poor ratings.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 07:00:13 PM »
Small gallerys and poor ratings.

Were the galleries really small?

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 07:02:01 PM »
+1 Sam

If I'm the AAC Commitee Chair , do I not believe that the architect delivered on his mandate?
(despite not delivering the flavor-of-the-day eye candy that many in the treehouse have come to demand regardless of setting and enviroment)

and as far as poor ratings, that's great-hopefully we can get back to golfers watching and playing golf.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 07:04:48 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mac Plumart

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 07:02:40 PM »
It was pretty busy out there the last few days.  I don't know the numbers, but they didn't seem small.

Regardless, AAC can't help it if people are stupid.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 07:11:02 PM »
If I wasn't driving.   Zzzzzzzzzzzzz. I was never so hoping for s tournament to get over.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 07:12:37 PM »
Can't blame AAC if you have poor taste, John.
 :)

Tim Liddy

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 07:13:40 PM »
Atlanta kitsch.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 07:16:23 PM »
Unlike the other three majors this year this tournament will bring no one into the game.

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 07:17:32 PM »
On the drive to the playoff, Jim Nantz, in his best dramatic voice, just asked Faldo what it would mean for golf if Jason Dufner or Keegan Bradley won.

Completely stumped him......
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mac Plumart

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 07:22:29 PM »
After those two shots...WOW!

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 07:22:56 PM »
If I wasn't driving.   Zzzzzzzzzzzzz. I was never so hoping for s tournament to get over.

better pull over John....

John Shimp

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 07:24:02 PM »
Today has been exciting in a NASCAR talladega way. Plenty of crashes that have been wild to witness. That said, it's still keep it dry to avoid the blowup golf.    :P This course doesn't demand a ton of shot styles or craftiness like the very best venues.  Not saying the PGA at aac needs to be the Open or shinnecock or pebble but this setup is pretty one dimensional albeit really difficult.   Its not whining for some people to look forward to a more interesting venue like next years PGA site.   :)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 07:28:31 PM »
Walking into a Visitation, wouldn't be surprised to see the future of golf in the casket.

jeffwarne

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 07:30:28 PM »
Today has been exciting in a NASCAR talladega way. Plenty of crashes that have been wild to witness. That said, it's still keep it dry to avoid the blowup golf.    :P This course doesn't demand a ton of shot styles or craftiness like the very best venues.  Not saying the PGA at aac needs to be the Open or shinnecock or pebble but this setup is pretty one dimensional albeit really difficult.   Its not whining for some people to look forward to a more interesting venue like next years PGA site.   :)

Pebble's a great course....
setup/condition awful
plinko came to mind

there'll be plenty of crashes at Kiowah next year-can't see how that's much different other than setting/eye candy

Joe Bausch

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 07:31:57 PM »

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

RJ_Daley

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 07:36:46 PM »
JK, maybe you can have Chris get Keegan's dad to get him out there to DR when you are there and he can give you a lesson in 'on the sunny side of golf'.   ;D ;D ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

jeffwarne

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 07:41:51 PM »
18 would be way better as a par 5 right now (from 60 yards further back)

Terry Lavin

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 07:46:41 PM »
AAC should be proud but I see this week as another loser for tour golf. A lot of groan inducing golf and as undistinguished a leaderboard as the game has seen in a while.

Postscript:  hard to call it a winner for golf unless the tv ratings go crazy today OR unless Bradley keeps winning. Is he just the next Oosthuizen?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 07:51:49 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mac Plumart

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 07:48:18 PM »
Regarding that last shot...whew, clean livin' baby, clean livin'

PThomas

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 07:50:45 PM »
i like 18, a good ol fashioned tough  finishing hole where anything can happen
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

jeffwarne

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 07:52:37 PM »
AAC should be proud but I see this week as another loser for tour golf. A lot of groan inducing golf and as undistinguished a leaderboard as the game has seen in a while.

There wasn't any groaning at Shinny in '04?

besides Tiger and Phil, who exactly is distinguished?
Does anyone in the world top 5 besides Phil have a major?
cause Keegan does...

Check that Phil's #6 but Kaymer (now there's a household name) and McIlroy do
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 07:58:29 PM by jeffwarne »

Terry Lavin

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 07:58:39 PM »

There wasn't any groaning at Shinny in '04?

besides Tiger and Phil, who exactly is distinguished?
Does anyone in the world top 5 besides Phil have a major?
cause Keegan does...

It was a lot like Shinny Pinehurst and other over the top setups. Very Open like but with the forced carry mania substituting for the high tough or wacky unputtable greens. Good call.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 07:59:33 PM »
So what's with that crepe myrtle on 18? If someone died on that spot, okay, but otherwise I say go ahead, complete the thought and plunk a glass orb or garden gnome down there.

Terry, I'm guessing the ratings will be terrible. Nuff said.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 08:03:41 PM »
The biggest loser of all is the Rater's notebook. Top 100 modern, really?  Better with age  Funny stuff.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back