News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Cronheim

Top 100 vs. Top 100 Public
« on: August 12, 2011, 04:16:51 PM »
It seems as if there are a lot of courses that are in the Top 100 Public (or Top 100 Places You Can Play) that garner a lot more attention than places that are just outside the Top 100 US rating. There are a lot of courses just outside that Top 100 US list whose reputations on a national level seem more prominent. Of course, perception is not reality, but I was wondering if anyone had a similar opinion?

To me there seems like there's an entire class of clubs that were at one time ranked in the top 100, but are no longer and are now "overlooked." Stonewall in PA comes to mind as a great course that opened to much acclaim, but has since faded in the rankings.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 04:46:08 PM by David Cronheim »
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

Mac Plumart

Re: Top 100 vs. Top 100 Public
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 08:57:14 PM »
David...

There are lots of good courses.  Take a loot at the Golfweek "Next 100" Classic or Modern.  Great stuff there!!

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 09:22:59 PM »
It seems as if there are a lot of courses that are in the Top 100 Public (or Top 100 Places You Can Play) that garner a lot more attention than places that are just outside the Top 100 US rating. There are a lot of courses just outside that Top 100 US list whose reputations on a national level seem more prominent. Of course, perception is not reality, but I was wondering if anyone had a similar opinion?

To me there seems like there's an entire class of clubs that were at one time ranked in the top 100, but are no longer and are now "overlooked." Stonewall in PA comes to mind as a great course that opened to much acclaim, but has since faded in the rankings.

David I think it makes sense that the top 100 public courses get more attention because more of us have the opportunity to play them.  I am sure the courses just outside th Top 100 are "better" courses but since I have no chance to see them I will "overlook" them.  If it is private my exposure is reading stuff here or seeing it on the PGA tour.

rjsimper

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 08:00:23 AM »
The margin between 50 and 200 in the overall rankings is razor thin. I frequently play courses that are in that "Next 100" class and find them nearly interchangeable with several I've played in the 51-100 tier.

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 08:51:34 AM »
David,

You will find over time that there are highly touted Top 100 courses (public and private) that don't measure up to either detailed impartial scrutiny not to mention your tastes or game.  You will also find that there are a bunch of hidden gems in plain sight just below the top 100 that you may not only enjoy more but will be better value as you're not paying for the hood ornament.  Hopefully your participation here should help point you in some new and interesting directions in this regard.  

I once joined a club partially because it had a top 100 moniker (and partially because they'd have me without a season of cocktail parties and gladhanding).  Let's just say that as a criteria for such a decision it should be well on the back burner...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 08:53:58 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back