News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Chilver-Stainer

LARGE Tree between Tee and Green on short Par 3.
« on: August 12, 2011, 03:31:59 AM »
I played a “cheapo” 9-hole attached to a hotel on the Isle of Wight this week.

The second hole was 100 yard Par 3 slightly down hill.
50 yards from the Tee was a LARGE deciduous tree about 80 feet tall with sparse leaves – from the ground to the first branch was about 15 feet.
In front of the green was a large bunker, behind the green was a huge fallaway. To the right of the green was out of bounds to the left the rest of the golf course.

Standing on the tee the only reasonable shot was a lofted wedge just clearing the tree – which I successfully managed – leaving the ball in the center of the green.

My playing partners were both beginners.
The male beginner used the tried maxim -  a tree is 50% air - and fired away narrowly missing the trunk and forced a path of least resistance through the leaves.
He also managed to find the green.

The female beginner, with befitting guile, worm-burned it below the branches to the left of the trunk and past the bunker.
The ball came to rest on the left hand edge of the green!!!

Although I've come across the longer Par 3's with a tree about 100 yards from the hole I've never come across one so close to the Tee on a short Par 3.
It’s not the sort of hole I’ve ever found on a “name” course but it was a whole lot of fun.
The closest comparison I can think of are blind par 3’s with a forced wedge, usually to a green at a higher elevation.

This is different – one can see the green, it is at a lower elevation, however the forced wedge shot is the preferred option with alternative “chance” shots.

I’d be interested to know if anyone has come across a similar SHORT Par 3 with a forced wedge over a tree. 

Michael Goldstein

Re: LARGE Tree between Tee and Green on short Par 3.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 03:36:17 AM »
John, good story.

Probably the most famous par three over a tree is the 13th at Morfontaine (I can't do pictures here but I'm sure someone will put one up). 

Another one is at the other end of the GCA spectrum at the army base course in the Mackenzie basin of NZ...
@Pure_Golf

Ben Stephens

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 06:11:48 AM »
There is a big tree in front of the green on the 4th at Vilamoura Old Course.

The short 12th hole at Sleaford Golf Club in Lincs, designed by Tom Williamson, not only has 1 tree it has about 15/20 trees in front of the green which is bizarre! and forces a carry over it all the time.

Here is a aerial image of the hole

Cheers
Ben
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 06:20:51 AM by Ben Stephens »

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 06:13:53 AM »
There's one at Old Colwyn, a 9-holer in North Wales.

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 10:08:17 AM »
The 4th Hole at Keller Golf Course in St. Paul, MN has a huge tree in between the tee and the green. Keller hosted a couple PGA Championships pre-1940, a Western Open, and a tour stop from ~1930-1965.

The story goes that Gene Sarazen hit the tree multiple times in making a huge number on the hole. After holing out he stormed off the course and never returned to play in that particular Tour event.
H.P.S.

JC Jones

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 10:15:33 AM »
The 17th at Wade Hampton has a large tree guarding the right side of the green. 
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Phil McDade

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 12:24:55 PM »
John:

Check out this thread for some examples and pics:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,46906.0.html

JC Urbina

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 01:27:17 PM »
John,

Just tell your friends it is a "cheapo" version of the Alps hole and because they they can see the ball land it's a Bonus.

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 01:37:48 PM »
Phil,

Thanks for the thread – what was I doing at New Years 2011?

It certainly divided opinion – I can only say the tree has proved it’s worth in just remaining there, so all the talkers of removal or adjustment of the hole could be found guilty of encouraging unnecessary tinkering.

My take on the tree hole is that it’s valid and fun, even if it requires some unusual shots from the lesser players.

Personally I have designed a course where a single tree takes center stage on 3 holes, all Par 4’s. I left them there because I thought they didn’t come directly into play for the normal player as they could easily be cleared with their second shot, but for the longer player a strategic choice had to be made how close one played to the tree from the tee.

At the time I thought if they became too controversial then the problem is quickly solved with a chainsaw – however the membership grew to enjoy the challenge and now the trees are well rooted into the course. 

There seem to be enough examples of the “Short Par 3 Tree Hole” to merit it as a template hole – how about some suggestions for the name.

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 01:38:44 PM »
Jim,

Good call.

Yes really “cheapo”  - an Alps hole being reduced from a Par 4 to a Par 3 and a sand dune being replaced by a tree.

Tom Kelly

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 01:51:08 PM »
There is a big tree in front of the green on the 4th at Vilamoura Old Course.

The short 12th hole at Sleaford Golf Club in Lincs, designed by Tom Williamson, not only has 1 tree it has about 15/20 trees in front of the green which is bizarre! and forces a carry over it all the time.

It is interesting you mention Tom Williamson as my home course Radcliffe on Trent was originally a Williamson design and has par 3 (17th) quite similar to the one you mentioned that was added by Frank Pennick in the 70's when Williamson's course had to be moved/altered due to a road being built. Perhaps he modeled it on Williamson's original design at Sleaford?

Unfortunately/fortunately depending on your perspective the hole has now been changed so you hit at the green from a different angle with a clear view of the green. The old tee was used as a winter tee for a while and made for a fun hole now and then but I think due to health and safety it was removed as you can't really see the green at all anymore due to the trees growth. Playing to the green at a different angle has actually made it into a really good hole now....that was until the green-staff decided to put another bunker in and ruin it.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 04:49:24 PM »
There's a short (I'd guess ~100 yds) par 3 at Evergreen GC outside of Denver that plays directly over a large boulder. No playing through or under that!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back