News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JNC Lyon

Best Eclectic 18 Holes in the Philadelphia Area
« on: August 09, 2011, 10:36:15 PM »
So, inspired by Bausch's DelCounty thread, I decided to pick out my eclectic 18 holes from the Philly area.  It's a little mish-mash since I've only played 16 courses and have missed a few of the greats (Pine Valley, Aronimink, Huntingdon Valley, Commonwealth National--just kidding).  Even so, it might get the ball rolling on some good discussion.  Here goes:

1)   Paxon Hollow - 4 - 350 (a true Cape hole, and a great way to start the round on this rugged layout)
2)   Frenck Creek - 4 - 430 (classic dogleg hole from a dramatic elevated tee, culminates in a very cool bunkerless green)
3)   Inniscrone - 4 - 330 (the temptation is to aim for the flag, but the best angle into this steep green is from the right--or is it?)
4)   Lancaster - 4 - 320 (loved this short par four with a great shelf green, can't imagine I'd like it as much from the back)
5)   Tumblebrook - 3 - 150 (last one in on the list, but this is a wicked shelf green as Redanboy can attest)
6)   Lederach - 5 - 550 (So many choices from this KBM great, but I can't get this par five out of my head--love the tee shot!)
7)   Merion (East) - 4 - 360 (My favorite holes at Merion are the least famous ones--7 is great--hug the boundary for the best angle in)
8.   Galen Hall - 5 - 480 (Try as hard as you can to find the right side of the fairway for the best angle into a Gordon green)
9)   French Creek - 4 - 400 (Uphill architecture at its best, with a split-level fairway and a punchbowl green. Maybe a perfect par four)
10)   Seaview (Bay) - 4 - 340 (One of several good short fours at the Executive Course, the bunkering and sunken green here are solid)
11)   Merion (West) - 4 - 400 (Great uphill Flynn to a great benched greensite)
12)   Cobb’s Creek - 4 - 440 (Hit one hard off the tee to set up a Redan-esque approach.  How great is this green?!)
13)   Rolling Green - 4 - 440 (A rugged par four if there ever was one, but the green here is the biggest attraction--a real marvel)
14)   Rolling Green - 3 - 210 (Tough but completely fair, 14 at RG is America's version of Addington's 13th: miss short, but nowhere else)
15)   Morgan Hill - 5 - 530 (Options and width galore, with a double fairway off the tee, and centerline bunkers on the second--KBM!)
16)   Schuylkill - 3 - 140 (Park Jr. did this one apparently--a great uphiller at the key stage in the round to a wondrous green)
17)   Galloway National - 3 - 250 (An ideal long par three: death on one side, but plenty of bailout and room to run--great setting as well)
18)   Jeffersonville - 5 - 550 (a great swing hole to finish, of all the wild greens on the list, this might take the cake)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 08:28:33 AM by JNC Lyon »
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

mike_malone

Re: Best Eclectic 18 Holes in the Philadelphia Area
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 08:10:57 AM »
 John,

I'm going to be terribly disappointed when you get a real job.
AKA Mayday

Michael Blake

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 09:15:16 AM »
Nice to see the inclusion of the 18th at Jeffersonville, John.  It takes (me, at least) 3 good shots just to get on that green.  Not because the hole seems long, but because of the angles. (But I suspect for you it's a lowly-slung driver drawing around the corner and a high-cut 3 wood landing softly in two.) The fun is just beginning once on the green.

Ah, the 6th at Lederach.  Played it yesterday afternoon.  Perfect drive over center-line bunker.  Perfect lay-up.  Short iron slighly left on to collar.  4 putt for a 7.  Bring your short game!

Nice call on the long par 3 at Galloway and the 11th at Merion West.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 09:25:14 AM »
The list is pretty darn good and well researched.

JNC, now it is time for you to become employed and find out what it's like to be a decent upstanding member of a society!

;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 09:37:49 AM »
JNC

Only one hole from Merion (East) ?

JNC Lyon

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 10:03:08 AM »
Guys, I actually DID get a job and start in September.  That being said, what makes you think I won't be spending non-working hours glued to GCA, as always?

Kevin, I played with the list for a long time.  At one point, I had two or three holes from Merion East included, but, in the end, it turned out to be only the underrated 7th hole on list.  My best explanation is that Merion has only a few standout holes (most of which are overrated in my opinion--I'm thinking 1, 11, and 18 here), and it really is an example of a course where the whole is great than the sum of its parts.

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 10:34:04 AM »
I don't know Philly golf well at all but what about

Lulu #4 is this the short par three?
Merion east #5
lederach #18
Merion east #16

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

J Sadowsky

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 11:03:55 AM »
So, inspired by Bausch's DelCounty thread, I decided to pick out my eclectic 18 holes from the Philly area.  It's a little mish-mash since I've only played 16 courses and have missed a few of the greats (Pine Valley, Aronimink, Huntingdon Valley, Commonwealth National--just kidding).  Even so, it might get the ball rolling on some good discussion.  Here goes:

1)   Paxon Hollow - 4 - 350 (a true Cape hole, and a great way to start the round on this rugged layout)
2)   Frenck Creek - 4 - 430 (classic dogleg hole from a dramatic elevated tee, culminates in a very cool bunkerless green)
3)   Inniscrone - 4 - 330 (the temptation is to aim for the flag, but the best angle into this steep green is from the right--or is it?)
4)   Lancaster - 4 - 320 (loved this short par four with a great shelf green, can't imagine I'd like it as much from the back)
5)   Tumblebrook - 3 - 150 (last one in on the list, but this is a wicked shelf green as Redanboy can attest)
6)   Lederach - 5 - 550 (So many choices from this KBM great, but I can't get this par five out of my head--love the tee shot!)
7)   Merion (East) - 4 - 360 (My favorite holes at Merion are the least famous ones--7 is great--hug the boundary for the best angle in)
8.   Galen Hall - 5 - 480 (Try as hard as you can to find the right side of the fairway for the best angle into a Gordon green)
9)   French Creek - 4 - 400 (Uphill architecture at its best, with a split-level fairway and a punchbowl green. Maybe a perfect par four)
10)   Seaview (Bay) - 4 - 340 (One of several good short fours at the Executive Course, the bunkering and sunken green here are solid)
11)   Merion (West) - 4 - 400 (Great uphill Flynn to a great benched greensite)
12)   Cobb’s Creek - 4 - 440 (Hit one hard off the tee to set up a Redan-esque approach.  How great is this green?!)
13)   Rolling Green - 4 - 440 (A rugged par four if there ever was one, but the green here is the biggest attraction--a real marvel)
14)   Rolling Green - 3 - 210 (Tough but completely fair, 14 at RG is America's version of Addington's 13th: miss short, but nowhere else)
15)   Morgan Hill - 5 - 530 (Options and width galore, with a double fairway off the tee, and centerline bunkers on the second--KBM!)
16)   Schuylkill - 3 - 140 (Park Jr. did this one apparently--a great uphiller at the key stage in the round to a wondrous green)
17)   Galloway National - 3 - 250 (An ideal long par three: death on one side, but plenty of bailout and room to run--great setting as well)
18)   Jeffersonville - 5 - 550 (a great swing hole to finish, of all the wild greens on the list, this might take the cake)

Terrible routing.   Impossible to walk!   8)

JNC Lyon

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 11:06:21 AM »
I don't know Philly golf well at all but what about

Lulu #4 is this the short par three?
Merion east #5
lederach #18
Merion east #16

Ciao

Sean,

I really wanted to include Merion East #5.  I believe it is the best hole at Merion, but it just didn't fit into my eclectic 18 (that format is a lot tougher than just picking your favorite 18 holes regardless of number).  It's a great hole, just couldn't get it on the list.

Michael Huber

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 11:42:30 AM »
Jeffersonville's#6 hole, another par 5, is also a pretty fun par 5.  It is a course with really solid holes and some interesting angles.   

I wish I could remember that par 3 at tumblebrook, as I played there once in 2007.  Is there a bit of a valley on this hole at tumblebrook?

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 11:45:30 AM »
Jnc

Yes it is difficult to organise eclectic courses but I do like to throw in the old time holes into a mix which can sometimes by much of a muchness

Regarding merion yes the course is about the entire deal rather than holes
This makes me question the concept of great courses are made up of great holes

What imressesme most about merion is how it swings very well between championship and everyday play
This is hard to pull off

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark McKeever

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 05:00:24 PM »
Great Routing John!  The shelf green at Tumblebrook is a beast.  I need to go back and take some pictures! (and NOT miss on the high side)

Mark

PS.  Find a job down in Philly!!!
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 07:27:23 PM »
JNC:  Most of my experience with Philadelphia courses comes from the summer we built the original course at Stonewall ... Gil Hanse and I used to work weekends and take off Tuesdays, so we could go play another great course in the area.  The 13th and 14th at Rolling Green, and the 4th at Lancaster would be holes I would endorse based on that experience.  However, you've missed many others -- NOTHING from Manufacturers or Huntingdon Valley?  Only one hole from Merion (East), when you pick two or three from far lesser courses?  How about the second or tenth at Melrose?  Or any number of holes on the back nine at Aronimink?

Joe Bausch

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 07:43:03 PM »
JNC:  Most of my experience with Philadelphia courses comes from the summer we built the original course at Stonewall ... Gil Hanse and I used to work weekends and take off Tuesdays, so we could go play another great course in the area.  The 13th and 14th at Rolling Green, and the 4th at Lancaster would be holes I would endorse based on that experience.  However, you've missed many others -- NOTHING from Manufacturers or Huntingdon Valley?  Only one hole from Merion (East), when you pick two or three from far lesser courses?  How about the second or tenth at Melrose?  Or any number of holes on the back nine at Aronimink?

TD,

JNC is not really a Philly guy (well, I'm not either), so he's only played at best 5% of the notable courses.  If you knew the courses he has played, his list is pretty darn good.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

JNC Lyon

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 08:01:45 PM »

As Joe points out, the missing courses on my list are ones I haven't played.  I think the list includes just about every place I've seen in that area, and it only takes two from the same course twice (Rolling Green, of course, and French Creek).  If I were to play the places you mentioned, I'm sure the list would change.  I'd love to see Stonewall, HVGC, Aronimink, and Manny's in the future.

Taking only one hole from Merion--tough, and maybe a little weird, but the point of this sort of list is to include the best holes from a bunch of different courses.  I could pick 18 holes from Merion (East)--but what's the fun in that?  Besides, just about everyone knows Merion is a great golf course, whereas they might not know about the great holes at Jeffersonville or Galen Hall or Paxon Hollow.

If there are courses on my list that you haven't played, you should check them out.  All of them are a blast (even Tumblebrook has its moments).

Kyle Harris

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 08:41:22 PM »
Tom:

Kid you not, just sent a draft to Joe Bausch that has 2nd at Melrose on the list.

Great choice.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 07:43:55 PM »
I know I have way more time than any employed posters, but I'd definitely like to see the lists of some of the other Philly guys here (that was sort of the point of my list--should have mentioned that earlier).  And I definitely want to see Tom Doak's list, since he was so critical of mine. ;D

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 09:30:31 PM »
Some other holes of note IMO:

13 @ Jville- one of the best 4pars in the area,public or private.
8   @ Lulu- downhill 4par with cross grass bunker about 100y in front of a punchbowl green.
4   @ LuLu- short 3par  of 110y over a quarry.
16 @ Manny's- 4par with approach over a quarry
4   @ Whitemarsh Valley- long 3par of 235y over 2 creeks.
9   @ Philmont North- a "C" 5par- love it or hate it.
17 @ Cobbs- downhill 3par to a green surrounded by bunkers.
14 @ Commonwealth- tee shot over wetlands, a bunkerless 4par with a severe R to L fairway slope.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 12:09:32 AM »
This is silly...

More holes available at...

Gulph Mills
Manufacturers
Huntington Valley
Philadelphia Country Club
Aronomink
Philadelphia Cricket Club

JNC, you have a lot more golf ahead of you! Get to it!

Next, The NYC area?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 12:14:52 AM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 01:44:34 AM »

Next, The NYC area?

Best of Southampton alone would be interesting. 

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2011, 07:25:05 AM »
Some others:
Merion West #6, #7, and #8.  Perhaps the three most eclectic holes combined in Philly.
Pine Valley #10 - That bunker!
Lancaster CC #4 - a fantastic short par 4
Coatesville CC #7 - They built the green backward and it slopes significantly from front to back.
Huntington Valley #4 (Toomey) - Another great short par 4 with some quirk
The greens' location from holes #8 and #10 at Aronomink
Lehigh #11 - Cool area around the green with great use of grass bunkers
Honeybrook #14 (from the back tees).  Flirting with the Brandwine, eclectic at its best.
Schuylkill's greens' locations at #8 / #12 - Quite similar to Aronomink's #8/#10 (see above)

« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 07:27:18 AM by Dan Herrmann »

Scott Warren

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2011, 08:17:40 AM »
JL:

I can understand the point you're making about Merion, often when I had an idle moment I would try to come up with my UK composite course or London composite etc and often there wasn't a single hole from Walton Heath (Old), despite it being one of my absolute favourite courses on the face of the planet. It's like a great album without a standout single, some courses are just like that.

My experience around Philly isn't anywhere near good enough to give you a list, though I suspect PV 1-18 might account fairly well for itself! ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back