News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_beene

Re: Getting more Golf Digest Raters
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 01:03:02 AM »
If I am correct this will prove me the ultimate geek:weren't you using a Bobby Grace putter like Nick Price used to use?Fat Lady Swings or something along those lines?Cute Kid or AN7?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2011, 06:41:44 AM »
If I am correct this will prove me the ultimate geek:weren't you using a Bobby Grace putter like Nick Price used to use?Fat Lady Swings or something along those lines?Cute Kid or AN7?

An equipment nerd too? We must be long lost brothers.

Steve Scott

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 06:55:23 AM »

An equipment nerd too? We must be long lost brothers.
It was the Fat Lady....great putter! Still have it and I wish I had more of them!

Steve Scott

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2011, 06:58:20 AM »
Steve:

From one new member to another, welcome to the site.  Like myself, I think you will be amazed at the depth of knowledge about golf course architecture in this discussion group.  I thought I knew a lot about golf courses until I got involved with this group.  

It sounds from the previous posts that you are already on your way to getting raters to your club.  However, I would also recommend that you don't overlook Golf and Golfweek's rankings, especially if the purpose is to gain more recognition to the club for your members.   While I am not a rater in any publication, my personal rankings are quite prestigious amongst maybe 10 people in Northeast Ohio (hoping to double my distribution by next year). ;D  

Also congratulations on what sounds like a wonderful family and a great job at The Ridge at Back Brook.  While I have not played it, I have heard
really good things.  

Thank you for your insight... I probably should have titled this post to ALL raters as we just need informed people to come out to our club... Just trying to spread the word a bit...

Take care.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2011, 06:59:46 AM »
Steve

Welcome to GCA

Is it normal protocol in matchplay to congratulate everyone but your opponent after the completion of a game ? You were after what - TW's mum, dad.....

PS: Have you ever played golf "down under" ?

Steve Scott

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2011, 07:05:30 AM »
Hi Steve,

Not that I'm a big enough part of GCA to give you a proper welcome...but welcome!

I'm a GD panelist (Golf Digest or G*d damn, dunno which), so I will take your wishes into advisement for my travels, and the recommendations of others in the area.

I just thought I had to say hello, and to affirm why this is such a neat place.  Every time we have disagreements, etc., I remember we are a group that includes many great architects that give us a window into the process that creates these playing fields we love, as well as those connected with the golf industry and organizations in such great ways to further discussion.  I think of Melvyn's Morris familial connection, Tom Paul and the GAP and Penn. golf associations, David Fay and the Donald Ross Society, and even some moonlighting by PGA and Senior tour star Tom Lehman just to name a few.  The

participation of someone like you that has seen golf at its highest level can only add to what many of us consider an addiction!

Thanks Brad!  It does seem like a great meeting place for those in the know...I will be happy to add to discussions when possible...

Thanks and hope to meet you at some point!

-Brad T.

Steve Scott

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2011, 07:10:29 AM »
Good to have you aboard, Steve. Let me add my memories to the collective ones already expressed, when I say how much I enjoyed watching that particular match.

I hope that you have the opportunity to express your opinions on architecture, given your representation of the USA. Did you play Walker at either Royal Porthcawl or Quaker Ridge? Perhaps you can begin there.

If expressing your true thoughts is handcuffed by your employer or your position in the industry, please take up a pseudonym on this site and write freely!

Good luck gathering the raters.
I played two of them...at Quaker Ridge and then at Nairn...very fortunate to have seen many courses in my career so far...really enjoyed Royal Dornoch when we played the WC in Scotland...look forwRd to adding to the discussions

Bill_McBride

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2011, 07:48:04 AM »
Steve, my fellow club member here in Pensacola, Downing Gray, was your captain at Quaker Ridge.  I think he enjoyed that a lot more than he enjoyed Porthcawl!

My wife and I went to the matches at Chicago and Royal County Down.   There's nothing in golf as much fun or accessible.   

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2011, 07:58:19 AM »
I noticed that also Kevin. Incredibly poor form.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2011, 08:24:30 AM »
As a GD panelist, I have played the Ridge and it is terrific. If firm and fast is what you want, the Ridge has got it. I have told a variety of GD panelist to come visit so I hope they take you up on it. Steve is a great host and guide for your round. Lots of variety, cool place.
Mr Hurricane

John_Cullum

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2011, 08:59:59 AM »
I was there and remember when you won medalist at the Chris Schenkel. Hard to believe that was 12 years ago. I often wonder what ever became of Mike Morrison. Best of luck
"We finally beat Medicare. "

David Cronheim

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2011, 09:10:23 AM »
Steve,

I'm not a GD panelist, but I have had a chance to play the Ridge with one of your members about 4 years ago. After my first time around the course, I remarked to that member that I thought it was the equal of any course in the state, having played all the top ones besides Pine Valley. In my opinion, it's definitely the best of the new, high-end private courses in the state, e.g. Liberty National, Bayonne, etc.

It's a little difficult to compare to some of the older courses because the styles are quite different, but I think it's a much more interesting and fun track than the Lower or the Upper at Baltusrol.

It's interesting you posted today because I'll be working with your boss, Joel, to put together a series of lectures this fall for the New Jersey Golf Course Owners' Association on legal topics relating to the NJ golf industry. I'd love to play the course again. It's a real treat.  I wish you the best of luck in achieving a ranking because I certainly think you deserve to crack the Top 100.

DBC
PS - I should mention that your clubhouse is amongst my favorite anywhere. For those who haven't seen it, it's a Montana hunting lodge and it is beautiful. I write for a half dozen or so ski publications and if it were an Aspen ski chalet, it'd be a 10.
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

Steve Scott

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2011, 09:24:33 AM »
Steve

Welcome to GCA

Is it normal protocol in matchplay to congratulate everyone but your opponent after the completion of a game ? You were after what - TW's mum, dad.....

It is normal protocol to do that...yes it did take awhile.....never played down under...hear its awesome!  Is that where you are?

Steve Scott

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2011, 09:28:11 AM »
Steve, my fellow club member here in Pensacola, Downing Gray, was your captain at Quaker Ridge.  I think he enjoyed that a lot more than he enjoyed Porthcawl!

My wife and I went to the matches at Chicago and Royal County Down.   There's nothing in golf as much fun or accessible.   
Downing was the best captain I have ever had...he is just a fantastic person as well...I do know he enjoyed his Quaker Ridge experience a lot, as did I....The Walker cup is a throwback event in a alot of ways...wish there was more of that!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2011, 09:36:49 AM »
Steve

Welcome to GCA

It is normal protocol to do that...yes it did take awhile.....never played down under...hear its awesome!  Is that where you are?

Steve

I thought you were a very patient person and handled the situation admirably.

Yes - I live in Australia and have played a bit in the USA and GB&I. C'mon down some time - you would have a blast at RM / Kingston Heath etc. I must admit I haven't heard about The Ridge when I went on my sojourn through the area a few years ago. Looks like an interesting Fazio layout. How would you compare it to other Fazio courses you've seen ?

Jim Colton

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2011, 10:18:59 AM »
Welcome Steve!

We all know how your opponent did at Augusta the following year. Can you share with us your experience during Masters week, both the course and the tournament? Did you get the opportunity to get in some practice rounds there in the months leading up to the event?

Chris Johnston

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2011, 10:27:36 AM »
Steve - Welcome!

Place look great!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2011, 10:49:42 AM »
Steve - forgive me for being forward...  But would you consider an informal GCA get-together out there?  No freebies, no comps, just a chance to get together, see the course, and have a fun day.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 01:24:42 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Michael George

Re: Getting more Golf Digest Raters New
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2011, 12:33:44 PM »
"Thank you for your insight... I probably should have titled this post to ALL raters as we just need informed people to come out to our club... Just trying to spread the word a bit..."

« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 10:34:44 AM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Anthony Gray

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2011, 01:18:07 PM »

Is John Kavanaugh still a GD rater?

Anthony

Jim Franklin

« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2011, 01:29:28 PM »

Anthony

Didn't think he was. I think he would be good though.
Mr Hurricane

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2011, 01:47:14 PM »
Welcome to GCA Steve.

Your match with Tiger was one of the most compelling I have ever seen.

Occassionally The Golf Channel will replay a condensed version.  Like Shawshank Redemption on TBS, I always watch it again...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2011, 01:51:31 PM »

Anthony

I was never a rater for a magazine.  I would have been happy to have been one but was never asked.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2011, 02:09:34 PM »

Anthony

I was never a rater for a magazine.  I would have been happy to have been one but was never asked.

Sounds like you have been black balled. I would like to see you on the list. How about Golf Magazine? Have they contacted you?

Anthony

Steve Scott

« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2011, 02:37:07 PM »
I was there and remember when you won medalist at the Chris Schenkel. Hard to believe that was 12 years ago. I often wonder what ever became of Mike Morrison. Best of luck
Small world!!!  Those were the good ol days of college and amateur golf!  Not sure about Mike...thanks for the note!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back