News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

The "You Can't Polish a Turd" Award
« on: July 28, 2011, 04:01:45 PM »
Not long after I turned 16 my parents "gave" me an old family car to drive myself around in. While not exactly the nicest ride in the world, I was darn proud of it...just as I'm sure many of you are of your first car. That summer, I spent all day cleaning, waxing, and fixing up my car...and then drove it over to the local golf course I worked at to hit some balls and hang out. My boss at the time, a golf pro, was standing outside. I said, "hey, what'd you think of the ride, pretty nice huh?!?!?" He responded with a shrug of the shoulders and said "You know the old saying...you can't polish a turd."   :-\ ;D

Over the past ~20 years, renovation, restoration, and redesigns of classic golf courses have reinvigorated many sad and tired golf courses back into their previous glory. Some obvious and often used examples of this are #2 and the Cal Club (among others) which I would liken to finding an old classic car that's been sitting on cinder blocks in someone's backyard for 40 years...waiting for someone to find it and fix it up.

While renovations are for the most part good for the game and bring out the best in golf courses, there have been quite a few "restorations" and "renovations" that, if anything, mostly exposed the course for what isn't there (strategy, fundamental design, interest).

So, what courses have you seen that have undergone extensive renovation or restoration, only to leave you going "huh, I thought it was going to be better" or "is that it?"

Are there any courses that are planning on renovations which have you shrugging your shoulders asking "why bother?"
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 04:05:43 PM by Pat_Craig »
H.P.S.

Stan Dodd

Re: The "You Can't Polish a Turd" Award
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 05:12:30 PM »
The Bayonett and Black Horse at Fort Ord.  A complete and utter waste of time and money.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 05:30:04 PM »
Pat,

You are saying 'renovation' and 'restoration' in the same breath as if they are the same thing.
I just want to note that a renovation will destroy original features that will most likely be lost forever.
Where as a restoration is the attempt to return the course to its original design.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 05:43:00 PM by RSLivingston_III »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 05:43:35 PM »
Pat,

You are saying 'renovation' and 'restoration' in the same breath as if they are the same thing.
I just want to note that a renovation most likely will destroy original features that will most likely be lost forever.
Where as a restoration is the attempt to return the course to its original design.

You're right, I was too vague. I have a habit of calling "sympathetic restorations" renovations vs. restorations. That being when the "restoring" architect puts his personal stamp on course in the name of making the course look older.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:15:52 AM by Pat_Craig »
H.P.S.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 05:56:56 PM »
Pat,

I just want to note that a renovation most likely will destroy original features that will most likely be lost forever.

You're right, I was too vague. I have a habit of calling "sympathetic restorations" renovations vs. restorations. That being when the "restoring" architect puts his personal stamp on course in the name of making the course look older.

Case in point, Northmoor CC north of Chicago. A 27 hole complex with ties to Ross. They decided to renovate/"restore" 9 holes at a time with Rick Jacobson on the job. After the members saw the first finished product in ~2002, they decided to keep the other 18 holes as is.

I do know what you mean. I generally prefer using 'historical restoration'. Renovation is a non-starter for me on any GA course, unless it has had previous renovations that have destroyed key features and original plans are not available to restore it.
I do recognize there is such a thing as lost causes.

It would be interesting why the members  real comments were on the course.
Having gone through this, the rejection more likely was they just didn't want change . Once people learn how to get around the course, they don't want to see changes that will in any way effect there scores.
Most restorations take some number of months of the members playing it to relearn there way around, and of course allow some select 'memorial  trees' to be replaced.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 06:28:47 PM by RSLivingston_III »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 06:32:24 PM »
The 'Restoration' word was used on a caption on the coverage from the Greenbrier tonight. What do folks who know the place think of this particular classification?
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 07:04:06 PM »
Unfortunately I have not been able to visit in person, but based on Ran's review, and what I have heard, it would appear a true restoration was done. But who knows what was undone for the tournaments?
I would still defer to the true CBM & SR devotees to chime in. Calling Mr. Bahto...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 07:05:56 PM by RSLivingston_III »
       Our Fearless Leader

Adam Clayman

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 12:19:27 AM »
Stan, I would've thought the same except the courses original designs were better than what's been ... Ahhhmmm ... improved upon.

Love or hate the Old Black Horse and bayonet, they were unique designs that utilized the terrain very well.

And, If they were designed by Gen. McClure (sp?) for an Amateur, in that era, did an excellent job. I'm not sure when they were built, but if was post 1950, they could possibly some of the best from that dark age.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 12:50:50 AM »
Adam,

I totally agree. The multilation of both courses was criminal. The original bones of both tracks had some superb elements. An architect
with a lighter hand and less heavy footprint could have created tremendous, postive improvements to some challenging layouts. The way many of those holes were draped over the semi-arid, dunesy scrub was impressive.

Extensive tree removal and width reclamation were the major needs, not a wholesale destruction. What resulted is a set of generic, formulated products with redundant-looking bunkers and green sites that require towering, precision shots to remain on ridiculously small sections of greens or prepare for the three-putt. A tragic waste of time, money and common sense.

Sadly, that facility will continue to struggle as repeat play will be minimal until significant changes are made, starting with those greens. The golf just isn't very enjoyable. In fact, for me it was difficult not to wince at times as I approached holes the last time I played Bayo, remembering fondly what had been there before.

I hope they temper the greens and bring some variety back, but I think it will be a while before we see improvement. It's a shame, as the area is all-world on so many levels, and that is good ground with potential for so much better.

Cheers,
Kris
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

David Kelly

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 01:04:31 AM »
But Kris, golfchannel.com called "it one of the most impressive redesigns you'll ever see."  And they should know, just look at all the great golf architecture content on their website and network.

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

SL_Solow

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 08:54:08 AM »
Pat; you should be careful with your facts.  Northmoor indeed terminated the arrangement wit h Jacobsen.  Many of us thought he did very good work on that 9 and that the membership never understood that he was trying to reemphasize the Ross origins.  But they did not leave the rest as is.  Instead they brought in Hurdzan and Frye ewho did a lot of work in an entirely different style.

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 09:17:20 AM »
Pat; you should be careful with your facts.  Northmoor indeed terminated the arrangement wit h Jacobsen.  Many of us thought he did very good work on that 9 and that the membership never understood that he was trying to reemphasize the Ross origins.  But they did not leave the rest as is.  Instead they brought in Hurdzan and Frye ewho did a lot of work in an entirely different style.

Shelly,

I apologize if my facts were wrong. I was going off the comments I had heard from a member, I wasn't aware of the additional work. My comments above have been edited.
H.P.S.

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 09:46:09 AM »
Pat,

I just want to note that a renovation will destroy original features that will most likely be lost forever.

If restorations are good, and renovations are bad, why does the world need 500+ Golf course architects?......

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 01:17:33 PM »
David,

+1   ;D 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 01:38:44 PM »
I'm sort of curious for those who have played both the before and after, as I've never played it....

Is Harding park in San Fran an example of where a turd was polished?  From what I heard it was pretty absymal before the changes were made and is now a pretty darn fine golf course, even if it is overpriced.

PCCraig

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 10:36:59 PM »
Kalen,

Haven't played it but it could be.

I would propose TPC Boston as a polished turd. It doesn't matter how talent Gil Hanse is, what Palmer left him in the routing in it's fundamental state was very poor, it's better now, but....
H.P.S.

RSLivingston_III

Re: The "You Can't Polish a Turd" Award New
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 01:36:45 PM »
Pat,

If restorations are good, and renovations are bad, why does the world need 500+ Golf course architects?......

Exactly.

I wonder how many of the current architects know enough about any of the GA architects to do competent 'restorations'? It would be interesting to get a count.
There is many an hour of study to 'see' the way any one of those ODG's did. I think it is safe to say that doing restoration work is the hardest thing to learn to do. If you don't invest the time learning, you will end up doing a renovations on anything you touch.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 01:54:58 PM by RSLivingston_III »
       Our Fearless Leader

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 01:50:34 PM »
aka the Rees Jones award. lol Ok that was a bit much but could not resist the opportunity to put the brown crown on the best friend of the USGA.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back