News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Don Hyslop

Re: Cabot Links Opens
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2011, 03:48:56 PM »
Adam,
 From the tee box, the second hole gives one a pretty good view of the surrounding area including the Gulf of St. Lawrence, which you will soon be playing along side. The hole itself provides  a downhill drive, this is followed  a second shot which if your drive is in the center or the right side of the fairway allows for two options. One is to take a more risky approach by playing to a raised plateau on a dune which gives you a direct view of the pin. The risk, however, is if you go too long you will find yourself in a deep ravine with a difficult third shot out of some deep rough. The other safer option allows you to play stright up a hill but your landing area is blind. You will end up where you have a slightly downhill short third shot to the green. The two choices are clearly divided by a large raised grassy area in the right center of the fairway. Unfortunately my drive was too far left to try the first option and I had to go with what I thought was the safer option.  For me it didn't end up being safer as I overclubed and ended up beyond the fairway, which made a right angled turn towards the green, and into the high grass which I had to chip out of and ended up with a double bogey.
  It was one of two double bogies I had on the ten hole round. The other was on the par five fifth. A longer par 5 than the second where your tee shot gave you a choice of playing over a shorter 150 yard carry over a salt marsh with 6 foot high marsh grass or taking a more direct approach to the hole where your carry over the marsh grass was over 200 yards to the fairway. Not realizing how long the direct line was to clear the danger, I hit what I thought was a good drive, only to not be able to find the ball. This hole played along side both the beach on the left and the public boardwalk which had rest areas with seats near the tee and also near the green. The boardwalk is so close to the tee area it allows you to have a conversation with those on the public boardwalk. The boardwalk allows the public to walk along the entire left side of the hole.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 04:40:21 PM by Don Hyslop »
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2011, 08:27:47 PM »
Another piece on the opening:  http://www.thecheapseats.ca/2011/07/cabot-links-brings-great-golf-links-traditions-to-canadas-east-coast.html

Robert Thompson of GCA interviews Ben C-D and Rod W in the embedded video.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 08:36:11 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Robert Thompson

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
Just came back from playing all 18 twice -- this one lives up to the hype, and with the expection of a couple of the inland holes which I thought might be a little plain, Cabot really struck me as terrific. Canada's version of Kingsbarns? I thought it was better than Bandon Dunes, for what it is worth.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Chris Johnston

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2011, 11:30:23 PM »
Congratulations!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2011, 11:56:40 PM »
Robert, how is the color this week up there?  Would love to see photos.  Isn't it also Celtic festival time? 

Are you writing an article? 

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Robert Thompson

« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2011, 07:34:22 AM »
Not a ton of color -- and the course was pretty wet when we were there. And there's a full piece on my blog about it -- as I said, I think the course compares well with the likes of Kingsbarns and Bandon Dunes. In other words, quite exceptional.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2011, 09:15:12 AM »
I hope it's not Canada's version of Kingsbarns.... that would be depressing, I won't be driving 15 hours to play ... Kingsbarns, maybe 15 minutes...

but I'd go to Elie instead

Robert Thompson

« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2011, 03:32:11 PM »
You both have a lesser opinion of Kingsbarns than I do than -- as I see it as one of a handful of great links built in recent memory.

I hope it's not Canada's version of Kingsbarns.... that would be depressing

Indeed.one would hope there is more charm there than Kingsbarns...

Don Hyslop

« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2011, 07:07:08 PM »
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2011, 07:43:48 PM »
To show how it can play on a less-than-nice day, here is Canadian golf writer Bob Weeks this week on the 102-yard par 3 14th, hitting driver into a stiff wind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhNciijBzqY&feature=channel_video_title

Bob's take on the course is here:

http://scoregolf.com/blog/bob-weeks/2011/october/cabot-links-destined-for-greatness

Philippe Binette

« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2011, 09:14:53 AM »
I like the front 9 at Kingsbarns, some interesting features, among them the bump on 5 (not sure if it's 5 or 6)... even if I'm not sure about the 8

the back 9 is ok, nice hole but less substance
but 12 is just too long to make it a viable option to take risk of the tee, 14 is a weird hole, and a i'm not a fan of 15... 

Jim Tang

« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2011, 01:08:24 PM »
So, if I understand correctly, all 18 will be open next summer?

Sean_A

« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2011, 03:47:56 AM »
OOOPS - wrong thread.

Ciao

« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 03:51:22 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Don Hyslop

Matt Kardash

« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2011, 03:30:24 PM »
I don't know if Robert is modest, or trying to not get people's expectations too high, but it seemed like his review of the first 12 holes seemed underwhelming. It seemed like half the holes he called visually dull. It seemed like so many new courses have so much eye candy with flashy bunkering that maybe it makes this course seem visually dull in comparison? Dull doesn't necissarily mean bad, though.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Don Hyslop

« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2011, 10:21:17 PM »
Sports Illustrated, ESPN contributor Stephanie Wei's take on playing Cabot Links. She promises more video to follow.

http://www.weiunderpar.com/post/coming-soon-to-a-laptop-near-you-wups-cabot-links-trip-video

John_Cullum

« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2011, 04:43:47 PM »
Dull doesn't necissarily mean bad, though.

In what language?
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Robert Thompson

« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2011, 04:46:30 PM »
I try not to be too effusive or hyperbolic about golf holes -- I leave that to others. However, I'm very enthusiastic about Cabot. I think there are at least seven world-class holes on the course, and only one -- 18 -- that I'm truly mixed about. Even four, which I thought was a bit plain, might reveal itself some more when the turf firms and it brings the outside bunker into play.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2011, 05:34:44 PM »
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Don Hyslop

« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2011, 03:27:50 PM »
A nice review of the course by golf writer Vic Williams who was part of the group of golf journalists brought to Cape Breton to play both the Cabot Links and Highland Links.
http://fairwaysandgreens.com/articles/696-cape-breton-island-golf-part-2

Don Hyslop

« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2011, 06:12:53 PM »
Stephanie Wei's final write up on the trip to Cabot Links. Stephanie was part of the group of golf journalists brought to Cape Breton by the Tourism Department.
http://www.weiunderpar.com/post/nova-scotia-boondoggle-part-3-cabot-links-sunday#more-23540

Don Hyslop

« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2011, 05:05:31 PM »
Interesting story on the joys of Cabot Links from Golf Canada's Jeff Brooke

http://www.golfcanada.ca/professional-tours/golf-news/?articleId=2190250

Don Hyslop

« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2011, 03:46:36 PM »
Here is Robert's description of the final six holes along with his conclusin of how he sees the course. Having seen the course, I agree with his conclusion.
http://canadiangolfer.com/g4g/2011/11/08/cabot-links-hole-by-hole-13-to-18/

Tom_Doak

« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2011, 08:02:09 PM »
Don:

Not to be too much of a skeptic -- since I know Rod Whitman is capable of great things -- but your introductions to these stories are a bit disconcerting.  Were any of these reviews written by people who weren't paid by the government to go up there and write them?

PCCraig

« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2011, 08:48:28 PM »
Don:

Not to be too much of a skeptic -- since I know Rod Whitman is capable of great things -- but your introductions to these stories are a bit disconcerting.  Were any of these reviews written by people who weren't paid by the government to go up there and write them?

:P

As Don posts these articles, I'm finding myself skipping the articles and only looking at the attached pictures. Thanks for posting regardless Don.
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back