News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Beaulieu

Cabot Links Opens
« on: July 23, 2011, 08:57:37 AM »
Well, this sounds official enough:

http://twitter.com/cabotlinks/status/94748403245916162

Should be a great day. Best of luck to Ben and the crew. What an accomplishment!

Adam Clayman

Re: Cabot Links Opens
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 09:32:27 AM »
I'm sure with sophisticated leadership CL will be a long term smashing success.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Anthony Gray

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 10:12:51 AM »

Hope to see some updated photos soon.

Anthony

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 11:11:58 AM »

Hope to see some updated photos soon.

Anthony

Here's a piece from today's Halifax Chronicle-Herald on the opening. It includes a neat video on both the course and the area.

http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Travel/1254732.html

Andy Silis

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 12:16:18 PM »
Great video....Kudos to Ben and everyone involved......Why the "barber poles" in the fairways?....In my humble opinion this detracts from the authentic links concept.

Randy Thompson

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 12:53:19 PM »
Fantastic! Real life - dreams come true!

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 01:04:03 PM »
"Why the "barber poles" in the fairways?....In my humble opinion this detracts from the authentic links concept."

Andy Sills -

Barber poles are not at all uncommon on the links courses I have played, especially on holes with blind shots.

DT

Tim Martin

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 01:35:54 PM »
Great video....Kudos to Ben and everyone involved......Why the "barber poles" in the fairways?....In my humble opinion this detracts from the authentic links concept.

Andy-With this colossal achievement you are worried about the barber poles? How exactly does it detract from the project?

hhuffines

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 01:39:20 PM »
So what is the easiest way to get there?  Thanks!

Andy Silis

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 01:53:00 PM »
Cabot Links is no doubt a great achievement....As I indicated with my congratulatory post....I just believe barber poles have no place on a golf course or links.....I can understand an aiming pole on occasion like the Alps at National but barber poles on every fairway at 150 out are in my humble opinion wholly unnecessary and distract from the purity of the course and the experience.....I don't know of any truly great golf club or links in the world that has them.....Can you imagine Pine Valley or TOC with them?.....I can't !

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 02:03:47 PM »

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 02:12:41 PM »
So what is the easiest way to get there?  Thanks!

I suppose it depends where you're coming from, but for most it would involve a flight into Halifax then a rental vehicle to Inverness - probably close to a 4-hour drive for the visitor, but quite an easy one.

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 02:35:45 PM »
Congrats to all involved! Looking forward Tina trip in 2012 or 2013.
H.P.S.

Nick Campanelli

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 02:53:37 PM »
Looking forward to making the treck up there from Bean Town soon.....
Landscape Architect  //  Golf Course Architect

Rob Rigg

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 04:11:35 PM »
Can't wait to play Cabot next year - should be a fun trip with Highland Links in the 'hood and PEI not too far away.

Good luck Ben & Co. - Living the dream!

Bill Gayne

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 05:40:08 PM »
I just believe barber poles have no place on a golf course or links.....I can understand an aiming pole on occasion like the Alps at National but barber poles on every fairway at 150 out are in my humble opinion wholly unnecessary and distract from the purity of the course and the experience.....I don't know of any truly great golf club or links in the world that has them

Royal Portrush has barber poles.

Congrats to all involved.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 06:48:30 PM »
Are all 18 holes at Cabot Links open, or just 10 as a preview round?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 09:59:44 PM »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 10:34:40 PM »
Cabot Links is no doubt a great achievement....As I indicated with my congratulatory post....I just believe barber poles have no place on a golf course or links.....I can understand an aiming pole on occasion like the Alps at National but barber poles on every fairway at 150 out are in my humble opinion wholly unnecessary and distract from the purity of the course and the experience.....I don't know of any truly great golf club or links in the world that has them.....Can you imagine Pine Valley or TOC with them?.....I can't !

IMO, BP's provide the most information in a very efficient manner. They can be used from any distance to better gauge and train your eye, and they can direct first timers around, much easier than sticking your face in a yardage book. Especially in such a beautiful setting.

I have seen Pete Dye use them more than any other architect, and since, I believe, Mr. Whitman is a direct disciple, it seems like a natural progression.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 10:36:23 PM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Don Hyslop

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 07:39:47 AM »
It was a great day in Inverness yesterday. The town of Inverness was bulging at its seems with visitors. At the first tee you were greeted by both Mike Kaiser and Ben both looking proud as punch. The 10 holes that are open for play are still rough around the edges but this is more than made up for by the absolute beauty of the surroundings. It seemes like the Golf Gods were smiling down on the scene as well as the temperatures were up and the winds were down to almost nil for most of the day.

Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2011, 08:02:35 AM »
Don:

Were the rest of the holes seeded now?  Was it possible for people to walk around and see them?

Don Hyslop

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
Tom,
Not all of the 18 holes were seeded yet. There were many people who were walking with golfers. Plus I know that Ben is always quite willing to take anyone on a tour. Prior to playing my round, I walked the boardwalk that separates the beach from the course and it was filled with townspeople watching golfers and asking them how they were enjoying their round. As you can imagine with the grass on the greens less than a year old and therefore not being cut to usual lengths it made for some interesting putting.
This quote from Ben sums up how this year should be viewed.
“This summer, we are calling it a ‘preview package.’ We want people to come out and view it. It’s a beautiful site; I was captivated by it the first time I saw it.”

It is also quite easy to view the uncompleted holes from the nearby streets as well.

Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 11:11:14 AM »
I think that Taylor Swift needs to write a song about this golf course, or Great Big Sea...just too picturesque.

A few years back, when I had the fortune to do a "Best Of..." television series with our local ABC, I remember going out to Diamond Hawk (Hurdzan/Fry) in Cheetowaga, NY before it had opened. We needed a par three to shoot and the owners were happy to accommodate. As we jumped on the people mover and cruised out to the distant hole, people started coming from the nearby streets to follow us, an entourage. They asked "who are you?" and "is the course open?" and on and on. The course had been 10 years in the making and we all became aware of how important it was to them (I made par, by the way.)

Multiply this X 1000000 and that must be how the folks of Inverness feel.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 11:28:51 AM »
Congratulations to Ben and everyone else involved.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2011, 12:24:32 PM »
I can't wait for a GCA.com gathering.  I'm hoping that something is organized around the Celtic festival time in Oct 2012-13? 

But geez.... for a personal bucket list or what I really feel I must try to see in next few coming years, Wine Valley, Dismal River original and new, and Cabot Links, could they be more widespread?  ::)

Congrats to Ben, Rod and team, Mr Keiser, and Ran, along with all the other supporting cast of movers and shakers.  It is a fine accomplishment.  It sound very cool that the locals have a boardwalk similar to Spanish Bay, or Chambers Bay walking paths to interact with the golfers.  I'd guess there will be plenty of good will and memorable charm to come from that aspect. 

Is there a robust local seafood industry?  Do they have a local style of favorite, most prevalent fish cuisine? 

Or is it really Celtic,; ai dee diddeley dai dee day... podatoes!  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back