News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: Starting Wed, 7/20/11 - Get To Know Rob Rigg
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2011, 07:29:23 PM »
Robb,

Thanks for sharing in here.

Who would you say is your biggest potential competitor/threat at the moment in the industry?

Rob Rigg

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2011, 09:58:05 PM »
Robb,

Who would you say is your biggest potential competitor/threat at the moment in the industry?

Hi Kalen,

That's a great question.

We don't really have any direct competitors at this point but I'm sure that will change. It would seem like we are competing with the Ecco Street but their golf shoe is far from barefoot and the Ecco Biom is far from minimalist. I think that the TRUEs and Ecco Street are working together to expand the spikeless golf market because the shoes are much more comfortable than anything else available.

As a small company the biggest threat is always that a big player comes in and copies you and puts millions into marketing. Ashworth tried to copy the Ecco Street but it doesn't seem to have worked out which is good to see. Ecco have a lot of brand equity in the Street and another Street is just a rip off - consumers are getting smarter and seem to be sticking with the true innovators.

If a large player comes after us we have to hope that our TRUE friends stick with our product and brand because they believe in TRUE - a lot of small companies become big because people love the brand, the vision and the product, that is what we are striving to achieve.

We will never sit on our hands doing nothing - instead we'll continue pushing the envelope and trying to stay ahead of everyone else in the industry.

Steve Kline

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2011, 07:17:37 AM »
We will never sit on our hands doing nothing - instead we'll continue pushing the envelope and trying to stay ahead of everyone else in the industry.

As long as you continually innovate you will be find. And, if you keep the start up mentality you innovate faster than the big guys and their multi-tiered organizations.

Thanks to this thread, and I know it wasn't the intent, I am buying a pair of Trues this morning. Rob's answer to my question and some history on the shoe's development convinced me.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2011, 10:42:45 AM »
Rob,

Thanks for being candid.  As a big guy who wears a size 13 wide, I'm certainly interested in trying out your product and seeing how it works out for me.  I've never been comfortable in traditional golfing shoes and have been wearing merrills for years as a work around because even though they aren't a golf shoe per se they are very comfy. 

Do you know where I can look in the Spokane area to try some out?

Thanks,

Kalen

Sam Morrow

« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2011, 10:48:54 AM »
Rob,

Thanks for being candid.  As a big guy who wears a size 13 wide, I'm certainly interested in trying out your product and seeing how it works out for me.  I've never been comfortable in traditional golfing shoes and have been wearing merrills for years as a work around because even though they aren't a golf shoe per se they are very comfy. 

Do you know where I can look in the Spokane area to try some out?

Thanks,

Kalen

Kalen,

I wear 13 4E and can promise you that the Trues are the most comfortable shoe I have ever worn. I have had trouble for years finding a golf shoe that fit and can't say enough good things about the True. Rob knows that it's gotten to the point where every course I go to I tell them about the Trues.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2011, 10:57:12 AM »
Sam - Thanks for the support!

Steve - Thanks for giving them a try!

Kalen - I don't think we have a location in Spokane right now - but if you order a pair of TRUEs online and they do not fit we will either 1) exchange them for free and pay shipping both ways or 2) send you an RA number so you can return your TRUEs and we'll refund you purchase no questions asked.

If you normally wear a 13 then I'd start there - they tend to fit C to EEE - although some guys with B find they fit as well. We appreciate you checking them out.

David Egan

« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2011, 11:54:36 AM »
Robb,

Hi Kalen,

That's a great question.

We don't really have any direct competitors at this point but I'm sure that will change. It would seem like we are competing with the Ecco Street but their golf shoe is far from barefoot and the Ecco Biom is far from minimalist. I think that the TRUEs and Ecco Street are working together to expand the spikeless golf market because the shoes are much more comfortable than anything else available.

As a small company the biggest threat is always that a big player comes in and copies you and puts millions into marketing. Ashworth tried to copy the Ecco Street but it doesn't seem to have worked out which is good to see. Ecco have a lot of brand equity in the Street and another Street is just a rip off - consumers are getting smarter and seem to be sticking with the true innovators.

If a large player comes after us we have to hope that our TRUE friends stick with our product and brand because they believe in TRUE - a lot of small companies become big because people love the brand, the vision and the product, that is what we are striving to achieve.

Do you think the Newton running shoes guys will poke around in the golf  shoe market?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2011, 12:18:07 PM »
Robb,

Hi Kalen,

That's a great question.

Do you think the Newton running shoes guys will poke around in the golf  shoe market?

David,

While I prefer the Ecco Biom in Yak skin I do have a set of these Five Finger shoes with a sole very similar to the Freddie Ecco's that I love.  Of course I play against a group of fish on the hook and wear odd shoes to throw them off.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-KSO-Trek-Mens.htm

Eric Smith

« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2011, 12:35:16 PM »
Of course I play against a group of fish on the hook and wear odd shoes to throw them off.

That's Chris Johnston's ploy as well. Even resorts to using the gold toes to blind his opponents. (And yellow golf balls).

Kalen Braley

« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2011, 12:38:34 PM »
I tried the 5 fingers shoes by Vibram ...didn't really like it.  Everyone's toes are different lengths and lets just say two of toes didn't fit in the sleeve!!  ;)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2011, 12:40:34 PM »
I tried the 5 fingers shoes by Vibram ...didn't really like it.  Everyone's toes are different lengths and lets just say two of toes didn't fit in the sleeve!!  ;)

You got hammer toe written all over you.  Did you buy the socks, you got to have the socks and trim those toe nails.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2011, 01:09:26 PM »
Rob,

Did you forget to tell of your Sam Snead inspiration? ;)
Sam played a practice round at The Masters in his bare feet after prodding by the press, and brought the course to its knees.
Also, stimulated Gene Sarazen to get a local rule against playing barefoot there.
If you ever heard Sam had a severe dislike for The Squire, now you know why.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2011, 04:50:57 PM »
Rob:

On the Doak Scale, what rating would you give the Hamilton College 9-holer?  Did you get much golf in while on the hill and if so, where did you play?

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Rob Rigg

« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2011, 06:19:58 PM »
Garland - I mentioned the Snead-ster earlier - he's the man!

Sven - I played the 9 hole a bit at Ham Tech but not much. Usually waited until I got back to TO to kick off the golf season. Usually the snow was just melting (well not quite) when we left campus :)

Have you played Yanandonasis (or whatever it is called) - that is the "home course" of the Hamilton Golf Team and I heard it's a decent track?

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2011, 01:32:47 AM »
Rob,

Here are a couple of questions:

- Has it been difficult to get national retailers to carry your product? It seems that Golfsmith was reasonably quick to stock Trues, but I have yet to see anything from Golf Galaxy.

- You indicated on GolfWRX that there is still one more limited edition shoe coming out this year. Are there any additional details you can share? I have one pair now and am pondering a second pair.

- When looking at new versions/models of the shoes, how do you balance the wide toe box and other features of the shoe with trying to get them to look more "normal" and, perhaps, more attractive to more golfers?

Jeff

Rob Rigg

« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2011, 10:48:44 AM »
Rob,

Here are a couple of questions:

- Has it been difficult to get national retailers to carry your product? It seems that Golfsmith was reasonably quick to stock Trues, but I have yet to see anything from Golf Galaxy.

- You indicated on GolfWRX that there is still one more limited edition shoe coming out this year. Are there any additional details you can share? I have one pair now and am pondering a second pair.

- When looking at new versions/models of the shoes, how do you balance the wide toe box and other features of the shoe with trying to get them to look more "normal" and, perhaps, more attractive to more golfers?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

- We have been asked by every large retailer for our product but as we are constantly in short supply we knew that taking on Galaxy or Dicks was simply not feasible. Golfsmith, PGA Superstore, Edwin Watts, Golf Town in Canada, World Wide Golf Shops (Vans, Richard Dunn) are all on board and we are doing our best to keep them stocked.

- Our final LE will be a stealth and it is a color that Ryan has been wearing on tour this year but we have not offered.

- With the tour we embraced our uniqueness and accepted that people might call it a "clown shoe" because of the toe box. On the stealth we used the toe cap and clean classic design to tone down the toe box. Most people think it is narrower but the last is the same. We'll have a few more styles out next year that will probably be more "commercial". At the end of the day - however - the last is the last and the shape is the shape - We can't really hide it and most of our customers tell us that they "get used to it" after a couple of round or they forget about it immediately because of the comfort and performance. That being said, we recognize that our TRUEs are not for everyone and no product can fit every foot. It is going to be interesting to see what the response by women is to our offering - We've had tons and tons of emails from women requesting a TRUE, let's see if they do indeed buy the shoe because the toe box will obviously be quite a bit wider than any other golf shoe and women tend to focus on aesthetics in fashion more than men.

Great questions - Thanks

George Pazin

« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2011, 11:03:54 AM »
Rob, if you're a reader and looking for a related book, you might want to pick up Born To Run by Christopher McDougall. For that matter, I'd contact him, I think he writes for magazines, too.

I walked 18 the other day and had problems with my shoes for the first time; I think it's the new softspikes that the pro shop at my friend's club installed. They are just too big. Can't blame them, they probably saw my swing and figured I needed help with stability... :)

Any other brushes with greatness besides Ryan Moore? Have you had a chance to golf with him? Seems like he'd be an interesting guy to tee it up with - he'd probably even play the Bandon event you asked about on the other thread.

Next time you're in Orlando, I can give you the contact info for a slew of bikini models that would make sure no one would even notice the wide toe box...
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

David Harshbarger

« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2011, 07:55:20 PM »
Rob,

My 9 year old son, a men's 8 1/2 wants golf shoes for his birthday. He wasn't an 8 1/2 last year, and won't be next year.  What variation on "yes" or "no, but" do you recommend?

Thanks, Dave

The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

JC Jones

« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2011, 10:31:55 PM »

I walked 18 the other day and had problems with my shoes for the first time; I think it's the new softspikes that the pro shop at my friend's club installed. They are just too big. Can't blame them, they probably saw my swing and figured I needed help with stability... :)

Actually, the TRUEs provide more stability that any softspike shoe out there because your feet are actually on the ground as opposed to 1/2 inch off of it.  Most stability and balance I've had is while wearing TRUEs.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2011, 12:36:47 AM »
I was in the Golfsmith Extreme in The Woodlands today and was very happy to see a large display of Trues!

Rob Rigg

« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2011, 01:41:01 AM »
Rob, if you're a reader and looking for a related book, you might want to pick up Born To Run by Christopher McDougall. For that matter, I'd contact him, I think he writes for magazines, too.

Any other brushes with greatness besides Ryan Moore? Have you had a chance to golf with him? Seems like he'd be an interesting guy to tee it up with - he'd probably even play the Bandon event you asked about on the other thread.

Next time you're in Orlando, I can give you the contact info for a slew of bikini models that would make sure no one would even notice the wide toe box...

Hi George,

Born to Run was one of the catalysts for us to give TRUE a go - it is a brilliant book and quite enlightening in terms of how logical minimalist footwear really is. Fascinating read with some really cool stories.

There are some other guys on TOUR with our shoes but we can't really talk about it . . . We have met some really amazing people - at the PGA Show this year and afterwards.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2011, 01:45:48 AM »
Rob,

My 9 year old son, a men's 8 1/2 wants golf shoes for his birthday. He wasn't an 8 1/2 last year, and won't be next year.  What variation on "yes" or "no, but" do you recommend?

Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave,

Not sure I understand - sorry. If your son is an 8.5 at 9 y/o then he obviously has a long way to grow!

I honestly believe that minimalist footwear is better for your body and your golf game so I am confident he will enjoy wearing TRUEs. We will have another style available next year that is less expensive but a great product. Could be a solid fit for a growing kid!

Cheers

Rob Rigg

« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2011, 01:46:52 AM »
I was in the Golfsmith Extreme in The Woodlands today and was very happy to see a large display of Trues!

Hi Sam,

Dig it!!!! Golfsmith are doing great with the TRUEs - it's really exciting and great to see them go nation wide.

Tim Bert

« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2011, 01:49:58 AM »
Rob - At long last one of my too many pairs of golf shoes bit the dust. Just ordered my first pair of Trues from the web site tonight. I have two pair of Nike golf shoes and they are both 9.5. I have three pair of Footjoys and two of them are 9 and the other is 9.5.

I went 9.5 in the True. Did I pick right?

Sean Leary

« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2011, 10:53:47 AM »
Tim,

You should be fine. As Rob mentioned earlier the way they fit allows you to have a few sizes that will work. I tried on 3 sizes and could have worn any of the 3.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back