News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Hetzel

Lochenheath GC (Smyers) in pictures
« on: July 18, 2011, 05:11:21 PM »
I played Lochenheath GC (near Traverse City, Michigan) recently. They are now open again after being closed for a few years. I was pretty excited about the opportunity to play here because I had never had the chance to, and then they went under.

Well, after playing it, I wasn't all that excited anymore. I expected more, but got less. Many of the holes were bland in my humble opinion. The greens (not the design or shapes), but the conditions were less than desirable. I guess I should have asked about it to give them the benefit of the doubt. I am not sure if the greens, or the course was even properly maintained while it was closed for a few years. My guess is that it was NOT. Maybe Tom knows why they were brown?? Like I said, I have no idea about their mothball maintenance practices, if they even had any.

My biggest gripe was that I didn't really fit into any of the tee configurations; the back tees were 76.6/147 (7239), Blue were 74.4/144 (6770) (which I played as the 3 gentlemen I was paired with were playing blue) and white at 70.1/137 (6024). I should have played the white, as even at sub 6100 it is a tough course. I also don't like it when #9 doesn't route back to the clubhouse. Personal preference, I guess.

My favorite holes were #6 (par 4 294 yards, tight and nice views along Lake Michigan), #9 par 4 378 yards with some nice bunkering. Finally #15 was a neat par 3 at 171 yards. If you are wondering what they were charging, $50 w/cart at 3pm. For me, worth playing once anyway. There are other courses in the area that I would rather play.

For those of you that have played it, I am curious as to what you thought of it.
Enjoy the pictures.

No. 1

No. 2

No. 3

No. 4

No. 5

No. 6

No. 7

No. 8

No. 9

No. 10

No. 11

No. 12

No. 13

No. 14

No. 15

No. 16

No. 17

No. 18

« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 05:20:26 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Tom_Doak

Re: Lochenheath GC (Smyers) in pictures
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 05:23:08 PM »
Richard:

I only played the course once, a couple of years after it opened.  And I'd heard they had made some changes on the front nine to add a couple of lots.

I don't remember the entire routing, but from looking at your pictures, it's clear that what used to be the 18th hole is now the 16th, and it seems that they built two new holes for 17 & 18.  The old 18th was very memorable, because if you didn't get your reasonably long approach shot up into the heart of the green, it would come back off a false front to about 50 yards from the hole.  It wasn't a very satisfying finish.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 05:40:47 PM »
Richard:

I only played the course once, a couple of years after it opened.  And I'd heard they had made some changes on the front nine to add a couple of lots.

I don't remember the entire routing, but from looking at your pictures, it's clear that what used to be the 18th hole is now the 16th, and it seems that they built two new holes for 17 & 18.  The old 18th was very memorable, because if you didn't get your reasonably long approach shot up into the heart of the green, it would come back off a false front to about 50 yards from the hole.  It wasn't a very satisfying finish.

Tom,

It wasn't a fun hole as #16 either! It sort of reminded me of #18 at Arcadia Bluffs. But the I don't remember Arcadia's 18th green being that severe and the surrounds were better at catching errant shots. #17 was a 457 yard par four (not even the tips) that demanded an absolutely PERFECT drive. The last 4 holes were pretty TOUGH.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 06:16:37 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

George Freeman

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 06:05:46 PM »
The 11th and 12th are the two new holes.  They got rid of the par 3 on the front 9 with the huge false front, and one other.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

George Freeman

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 06:12:50 PM »
David - what was the other par 3?  I can't recall.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 06:17:35 PM »
The 11th and 12th are the two new holes.  They got rid of the par 3 on the front 9 with the huge false front, and one other.

They are terrible holes. You can tell they half-a**ed it. You can tell they were added quickly.

That is awesome that the few property owners paid to have the course maintained as best as possible. I would surmise that costly chemicals were not applied nor were the greens aerated. Hats off to those people for keeping a dream alive.

Who owns the course now???
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 06:20:58 PM by Richard Hetzel »

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 07:30:35 PM »
I guess it would be tough to go back in and destroy holes and add some back in when they WERE NOT in the plans in the first place. It's hard to imagine designing something and then changing the design away from it's original intention.

BTW, I hate lots on courses! ;D

Carl Nichols

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 10:24:30 PM »
Is the 9th as bad as it looks?

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 08:20:11 AM »
Some so-so looking holes, but there are some good looking holes as well. I think #15 looks pretty neat.

The architecture may not be world-class, but "bland" Richard?

Either way, doesn't look like the worst deal at $50.
H.P.S.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 09:44:48 AM »

Carl,

The tee shot on 9 could be a bit awkward, but I actually LIKED this hole.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 09:46:19 AM »
Some so-so looking holes, but there are some good looking holes as well. I think #15 looks pretty neat.

The architecture may not be world-class, but "bland" Richard?

Either way, doesn't look like the worst deal at $50.

Well worth the $50, but I guess I had higher expectations of the design. The bland holes took away from some REALLY GOOD holes.

#15 was the star of the show. GREAT par 3.

Jud_T

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 10:06:04 AM »
Isn't the easy solution to have a combo green tee at 6300-6400?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Carl Nichols

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 01:19:39 PM »
No. In fact, 9 is a very, very cool hole. Lots of bail out room on the right but you can flirt with the bunkers on the left, leaving a short wedge into the green. And the green, from about 1/3 of the way from the front, tilts to towards Lake Michigan (left to right from the fairway) so when the pin is back left, you can fire away with a wedge or, if you either have a longer iron or don't want to get too aggressive on the approach, you can play to the left, off the bank on the green and it feeds towards the hole.

Thanks -- couldn't see the good parts through the maze of cart paths and bunkers

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back