News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tiger_Bernhardt

Congressional and Sandwich espn/abc
« on: July 17, 2011, 10:11:26 AM »
I keep hearing the announcer team talk about this course as average, tough, odd, unfair, bad bounces etc. Congressional seemed to get nothing but love on design and changes. Why would a very average couse be talked about in glowing terms and one of the relly great courses in the world get minimal respect from the espn/abc team?

Jamie Van Gisbergen

Re: Congressional and Sandwich espn/abc
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 10:29:42 AM »
Because T, these are tour pro commentators we're listening to.  :) We know pro's like fairways shaped like Half-Pipes so every drive ends up perfect and greens shaped like bowls so every iron shot funnels down near the hole.  ::) Not to mention, these are American commentators, I'd bet Nick Faldo might have a different opinion. Guys don't like anything that brings any element of uncertainty into the game, simple as that.

Congressional is simply the quintessential modern golf course and it has exactly what the average American thinks is great in a golf course. RSG has tons of options and is a far better course, but its not what Americans think of as good. Sad to say, but that's just how it is.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 10:33:30 AM »
Tiger,

I don't like to paint with too broad a brush, but as discussed on GCA before, it seems the high level competitive players prefer courses that are straightforward throughout. Quirk = unpredictable. Therefore the tastes of professionals are often at odds with many of the opinions on this board. I've often thought they when they say a course is great or that they love it, it has very little to do with what we perceive as the quality of the architecture. Rather, it has more to do with how the course interfaces with the professional game.

Your particular question is drected at the broadcast crews for NBC/ABC. It stands to reason that this opinion dominates the broadcasts as well because they are predominantly former players. For the most part, those that aren't players (like Mike Tirico) have developed their knowledge of the game alongside their booth partners (Azinger, Strange, etc...).  

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 10:45:04 AM »
I keep hearing the announcer team talk about this course as average, tough, odd, unfair, bad bounces etc. Congressional seemed to get nothing but love on design and changes. Why would a very average course be talked about in glowing terms and one of the really great courses in the world get minimal respect from the espn/abc team?

Somewhere up in golf architecture heaven, MacKenzie, Behr and Crane have taken note that nothing has changed.

Bob

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
I'm not hearing it. They just said the game becomes more of an art in these conditions. I guess the play and course is so great that a hater's gotta hate. The only people left to hate are the announcers. I suppose I am just lucky to be enjoying this day of golf without being forced to criticize. Throw away your badge and embrace a beautiful day.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 11:01:48 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 11:07:16 AM »
I'm hearing mostly postive things from the ESPN crew...I think they're doing a credible job in giving RSG it's just praise.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back