News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Clayton

Amazingly the tee at 15 used to be 50 yards forward and left and you had to hit a big hook around the trees on the left.
We moved that tee back about 10 years ago and the most significant improvement - aside from getting rid of a ridiculous tee shot - was to bring those cross- bunkers back into play for many more players.
This is a tremendous hole - one of the best long holes in Australia because of the green and the threat of the bunkers - the cross bunkers and the line of bunkers short and right.

Tom Kelly

A few pics of the 15th closer to the green

From short of the right hand bunkers

From just over the left bunkers/left rough

Close up of the bank short of the green

Unfortunately I didn't get a decent shot of the right side of the green which drops away steeply. Its a really tough green to hit especially if going for the green in two.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 04:47:03 AM by Thomas Kelly »

Kyle Henderson

Sir Kelly,

Thank you for the supplemental photos. That right side was giving my group (all Woodlands members) fits.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kyle Henderson

The 16th sweeps ever so slightly to the left, with ideal drives ending right of the centerline. From the back tees, an overhanging tree must be taken into consideration.

A hook into the left rough will leave one blocked out behind bushes for their second shot.

The port side rough will prevent mishit shots from running into the bush, but the lies afforded will not be pleasant.

"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kyle Henderson

The bunker scheme at the 17th suggests a high draw as the preferred shot.

The slopes and rough seen behind the green emphasize the need to find the surface with one’s tee shot.

Kyle Henderson

The final tee shot should travel up and over a small ridge to land on the away-sloping fairway, if the green is to be sought with the second stroke.

A large bunker complex pinches the fairway from the right, forcing golfers that can’t make the carry to lay farther back or further left than their preferred approach position.

After a big blast to the fairway’s left center, the powerful draw can trundle up the green’s open front and proffer a putt for eagle.

In keeping with the best principles of golf course design, plenty of space is offered for weaker players to navigate around the principal obstacles. Yet, highly-skilled golfers must skirt well-positioned hazards in their quests for birdies.

Woodlands is a real treat – only in a golf-blessed city such as Melbourne could it be perhaps just the 5th or 6th best course in the vicinity.

Bruce Hardie

Good tour and always an enjoyable place to play.

If it were transplanted to any other major city in Australia it would easily sit in the top 3 (although my Sydney knowledge is not first hand). However, even locals often forget it when naming the best 10 in Melbourne.

We are so spoiled in this part of the world.

Justin Ryan

Woodlands is a real treat – only in a golf-blessed city such as Melbourne could it be perhaps just the 5th or 6th best course in the vicinity.
What did you think was better Kyle?

Bruce, in Sydney it is definitely top 2.

Scott Warren

Enjoy your fishing trip, Justin! ;)

Justin Ryan

Enjoy your fishing trip, Justin! ;)
The tongue is well planted in the cheek Scott.

Afterall, I am yet to play Royal Sydney and The Australian.

David_Elvins

one of the best long holes in Australia because of the green and the threat of the bunkers

Also because Australia doesn't have many good long holes.  

Thanks for the thread Kyle,  I haven't been down to Woodlands for a while but will defintely revisit this thread after my next trip there.

Justin,

Not sure oyu can make that claim before you have played Riverside Oaks.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Colin Macqueen

Kyle,

Happily, Woodlands is a reciprocal club to the one I am a member of so I have played it before albeit only the once. On that occasion, as I was in the bush more often than not, I failed to appreciate the the totality of the architecture.
However the next time I play there, even if wayward, I will appreciate the course a lot more and recognise the cleverly placed bunkers and devilish green complexes!

Your excellent photography and description, supplemented by the comments from the GCA stalls, are why I find this "community" so seductive. Thanks and keep up the good work!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Mike_Clayton

Dave,

Can't say I disagree - which is odd given how many really good holes around 300 yards we have  - and most of them would make fantastic second halves of par fives.
Perhaps the best 320 yard hole in the country would be the 10th east from - 320 yards! What a pile of great options with that shot - that no one ever gets to play - at least not anyone who can consider making use of all the options.
If you could drive it 260 from the front of 15 at Victoria it would be a great second shot from there to a par five.

Kevin Pallier

Bruce, in Sydney it is definitely top 2.

So after NSW # 1 ?  ;)

Kyle Henderson

What did you think was better Kyle?

I certainly would put it behind, Royal Melbourne-West, Kingston Heath, and Victoria.

I reckon Woodlands is in the same relative class as Commonwealth, Metropolitan, Peninsula-North, Peninsula-South and Yarra Yarra. I'd probably put it somewhere in the middle of that grouping.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back