News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

Despite its close proximity to the better-known courses in the Melbourne Sandbelt, Woodlands Golf Club is often omitted from the itinerary of visiting golfers. This is understandable, given its rather nondescript name and its lack of internationally renowned architectural pedigree (no direct input from Alister MacKenzie) – the foundations of the course were built mostly by Club Professionals Richard Banks and Sam Bennett (club pro), each of whom laid out nine holes at different times with ongoing input from famed Royal Melbourne greenkeeper Mick Morcom.

The course also lacks an inimitable character sufficient to distinguish itself from the neighboring clubs – the 4th is by far the most original and memorable hole on the property and its easy to get lost in the shuffle with Kingston Heath, Yarra Yarra, Victoria, Metropolitan, Commonwealth and Royal Melbourne all within a few miles. And, as with its neighbors, the Woodlands Golf Club suffers from the modern day intrusion of roads and air traffic that have taken away the pastoral charm of the Sandbelt.

Still, golfers will find a steady diet of the modern Sandbelt golf’s best defining qualities here: tight/firm turf, elevated and true-putting greens, strategically placed and elegantly shaped bunkering schemes, and variable wind conditions to test even the best of players without brutalizing the untalented.

The course is routed very compactly, but changes direction at regular intervals to avoid monotonous challenges from the elements.

At the opening hole, golfers are eased into the round by a wide fairway and a modest length  to the green.

Trees fool players into believing the fairway is much narrower (and a drawing tee shot much more advantageous) than reality will bear out.

Bunkers at the green’s left/front favor tee shots that stay to the outside edge of the left-turning fairway.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 12:10:28 PM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Emil Weber

wow, what time was that :D

Looks terriffic, thanks as always!

Mark_F

The course also lacks an inimitable character sufficient to distinguish itself from the neighboring clubs – the 4th is by far the most original and memorable hole on the property and its easy to get lost in the shuffle with Kingston Heath, Yarra Yarra, Victoria, Metropolitan, Commonwealth and Royal Melbourne all within a few miles.

It's interesting that you think this, Kyle.  I reckon Woodlands has bags of character, and, if anything, it is Victoria and Yarra from the above list that tend to lack an identity.

But, as Mike Clayton once said, there just aren't enough doctors and lawyers that are members at Woodlands.  :)

Kyle Henderson

Mark,

Woodlands does have character, just not of the inimitable variety. I saw very similar features earlier in the week at Victoria, Commonwealth and Metropolitan. Perhaps, had I played Woodlands first, it may have stood out out more.

Of those 4 courses, I thought Victoria had the most memorable sequence of holes.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kyle Henderson

wow, what time was that :D

Looks terriffic, thanks as always!

A bit before 7am. I was up aT 5-6AM every day down there, but early clouds often thwarted my photo-taking ambitions.
The sunlight is pretty spectacular in the shots of hole #2. Stay tuned.

Mark_F

Woodlands does have character, just not of the inimitable variety. I saw very similar features earlier in the week at Victoria, Commonwealth and Metropolitan.

Kyle,

It might be interesting if you could expand upon those similar features?

Woodlands to me has a very definite Australian bush feel to it, much more so than the other courses, but that might just be me.  It also has the smallest greens on the Sandbelt, and almost half of the longer holes open up best from the outside of the dogleg.  The line of charm is a little different here.  :)  It's also noticeable that on most of those holes that do open up from the outside, it is vegetation as opposed to sand that provides a hazard to be negotiated.

And, unlike Victoria and KH, there is plenty of strategy at Woodlands.  ;D

Scott Warren

Looking at the routing, do you really walk back what looks like 250-300m to get from the 13th green to the 14th tee?!

Ian Andrew

I loved Woodlands.

I made a pretty comprehensive tour when I was in Australia and I would make a point of playing Woodlands again on my return. I think it’s got half a dozen excellent holes and enough good ones to stand tall almost all the other layouts around town. The small details like the back of the 7th or the incredible “template waiting to happen” 4th green are well worth the visit. The swale in front of the 15th is sublime and so are some of the bunkers and chipping areas. The pace is super cool. If you skipped it, you missed something….

Kevin Pallier

Woodlands is a very much unheralded layout on the Sandbelt and often gets overlooked particulalry from interstate and overseas visitors. It is also intimate in its routing as can be seen by the opening pic.

I like it and for mine think it's in the Top5 layouts one should seek to play on the Sandbelt.

Jason Topp

Thanks for doing this Kyle.  I loved the place in part because I did not know much about it and just stopped by when I found out my family was at the Zoo.  I expected a second tier course and was really surprised.

Tom_Doak

I don't normally disagree with Mike Clayton on much, but I don't think what has held Woodlands back is the lack of doctors and lawyers among the membership.  I think it's the lack of a specific doctor having been involved in the design; in Melbourne, any course without the MacKenzie connection has been relegated to second-class status, sad to say.

To that end, they have asked me to consult on the course while we are working down the road at Royal Melbourne, and I have tentatively agreed to do so.  I don't think there is much that needs doing there, but perhaps my being involved will draw a little more attention to what's already in place.

Kyle Henderson

Mark, I mentioned some of the general features in my initial post, but I'll give more examples as the thread develops.

Scott, the walk to the 17th tee is also a disruption to the round's rhythm.

Ian,
I believe the 4th green at Woodlands was an inspiration for Clayton's reworking of Peninsula-North's 13th.

Kevin,
Woodlands has a very good layout, but the Sandbelt might be one of the few neighborhoods around the world in which I wouldn't pick it among the 5 best.

That is purely a testament to the high concentration of quality golf in the area, not a knock on Woodlands.

Tyler Kearns

Kyle,

Woodlands was most likely the biggest surprise of my trip to Australia, that and Peninsula. Unfortunately it gets lost in the midst of the surrounding courses, but not on account of quality. Like most courses in Melbourne, a fine collection of short par-fours and threes.

Mark,

Good point regarding playing to the outside of the dogleg, it didn't strike me until you mentioned it, and it seems like the rule at Woodlands judging from the aerial provided.

TK

Bruce Hardie

One thing that I think defines Woodlands is that it either presents bunkering or contours. Very rarely are both present. Eg the drives on 6, 10 and 18 are unbunkered but have more land movement relative to the surrounds.

"Intimate" routing is perhaps a euphemism for "a little cramped", certainly in comparison to its' more expansive peers.

Mark_F

Looking at the routing, do you really walk back what looks like 250-300m to get from the 13th green to the 14th tee?!

Scott,

It's probably well less than two hundred, although it doesn't look like it.

I don't normally disagree with Mike Clayton on much, but I don't think what has held Woodlands back is the lack of doctors and lawyers among the membership.  I think it's the lack of a specific doctor having been involved in the design; in Melbourne, any course without the MacKenzie connection has been relegated to second-class status, sad to say.

Tom,

That isn't true.  Peninsula isn't second class status, it has no association with MacKenzie, and, unlike Woodlands, it is actually part of the Sandbelt.  ;D   What holds Woodlands back is that there are too many utes in the car park.

Mark,

Good point regarding playing to the outside of the dogleg, it didn't strike me until you mentioned it, and it seems like the rule at Woodlands judging from the aerial provided.

Tyler,

I am sure for you strapping young 2 handicappers, it doesn't matter where you approach from.  :) 

Ash Towe

Kyle,

Looking forward to your tour.  I am one of those who has missed this club when visiting Melbourne.  I should have learned after my visit to Peninsula. ;)

Danny Goss

The course also lacks an inimitable character sufficient to distinguish itself from the neighboring clubs – the 4th is by far the most original and memorable hole on the property and its easy to get lost in the shuffle with Kingston Heath, Yarra Yarra, Victoria, Metropolitan, Commonwealth and Royal Melbourne all within a few miles.

It's interesting that you think this, Kyle.  I reckon Woodlands has bags of character, and, if anything, it is Victoria and Yarra from the above list that tend to lack an identity.

But, as Mike Clayton once said, there just aren't enough doctors and lawyers that are members at Woodlands.  :)

I haven't heard Mike say that Mark. As a member at Woodlands does being an accountant help much?  ;D

I agree on four - the green there adds plenty of character. So hard if you miss.

Mark_F

I haven't heard Mike say that Mark. As a member at Woodlands does being an accountant help much?  ;D

Danny,

I thought he had written that somewhere?  I could be mistaken. 

And being an accountant definitely helps.  It should count for more  - at least you blokes perform a useful function in life, unlike lawyers.  :)

Kyle Henderson

As a member at Woodlands does being an accountant help much?  ;D

I agree on four - the green there adds plenty of character. So hard if you miss.

Glad to have a member to provide his experience and insight.

It's too bad your "signature hole" has that unsightly warehouse as its backdrop.

Kyle Henderson

At the par 5 2nd, players are faced with another reasonable chance at par, though better players will be pressured to make a birdie in competitions. The hole plays straight away into the southeast corner of the property.

There is no need to flirt with these starboard bunkers, as the green is better approached from the left side, but the fairway narrows just where a drive must be placed to bring the putting surface within reach.

The early morning sun reveals an entrance for running shots at the green’s left/front corner.

The upslope at the green’s entrance will reign in a fast-running approach. Bunkers at the right/front and middle/left borders of the green will require precision to escape with a shot that will hold the firm green, even in the mists of dawn.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 11:32:19 AM by Kyle Henderson »

Michael Taylor

Unbelievable pictures Kyle!  :o

Really looking forward to this tour and in particular the 4th hole.

Mike_Clayton

Mark,

I have said that - but i don't think I have ever written it.
There is a group of clubs - that formed the -Sandbelt Clubs' - RM,KH,Vic,Metropolitan,Yarra Yarra,Huntingdale,Commonwealth and Peninsula.
That Woodlands is not included tells you there is something to my comment.
As Tom said, it could have done with a visit from Dr MacKenzie.

Kyle Henderson

The 3rd hole is the first of several compelling short par 4’s at Woodlands. The doglegging, tree-lined nature of the hole will discourage bombers from attempting to drive the green

Bunkers protect the inside corner of the dogleg. But as at the 1st, the best line in to the green is from the outside.

Typical of the Sandbelt classics, the fairways feature lovely little ripples to test a player’s skill in striking the ball from varying lies and stances. This little mound is just beyond the perfect position for the 3rd approach.

Also typical of the Sandbelt, the back-to-front sloping green sits well above the fairway, a narrow avenue of up-sloping fairway offered from running approaches, bunkers that eat into the edges. And more bunkers and steep shaved sloped at the back. It is not uncommon to see players escape one bunker, only to see their ball run across the green and fall into another sand pit. However, unlike neighboring golf clubs, the soil here seems heavier, as indicated by the dark and chunky earth seen in the foreground.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 01:00:31 PM by Kyle Henderson »

Mark_F

I have said that - but i don't think I have ever written it.
There is a group of clubs - that formed the -Sandbelt Clubs' - RM,KH,Vic,Metropolitan,Yarra Yarra,Huntingdale,Commonwealth and Peninsula.
That Woodlands is not included tells you there is something to my comment.
As Tom said, it could have done with a visit from Dr MacKenzie.

Sorry Mike, I thought you wrote that in From the Inside, but I was wrong.

Kevin Pallier

Kyle

I hope the light was better when you photographed the 4th as the morning sun hasn't been too friendly thus far. The shadows have covered up most of the strategic bunkering placement.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back