News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Re:Your First Favorite Golf Course
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2003, 04:50:23 PM »
Sheridan Park GC in Tonawanda, NY, site of the 1962 USGA Publinks Championship.

The Town has since ruined the course by selling some of the best holes to a local manufacturer, who in turn did nothing with the land.  What a shame!
----------------------

The first course I ever saw that made me realize just how good a course can be was Niagara Falls CC in Lewiston, NY.  I always tried to get to see the Porter Cup there, and was amazed at how great the conditions were and how great the players played.  I've always wanted to play NFCC!
-------------------------------
« Last Edit: August 20, 2003, 04:54:41 PM by danherrmann »

Mike Benham

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2003, 04:54:21 PM »
Good old Palo Alto Muni ... a couple of short (driveable with today's technology) par-4's, downwidnd par-5's, the brutally tough into the wind par-4 4th hole and the wind ... and the planes ... and the wind ... and the occasional gunshot from the other side of the dyke (back in the day when dyke had a different meaning ...).

Little did I know that I crossed paths many a day with our own Pete Galea as he started his career ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2003, 05:00:32 PM »
PVGC at age 14.

John Nixon

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2003, 05:36:49 PM »
Scioto. While finishing up my undergrad at OSU a um, while back, I was heavily into bicycling and would ride through Upper Arlington on my way to the then undeveloped hinterlands of western Columbus. I had just starting trying this new game called "golf" and could catch glimpses of the course as I rode by. "Man," I sez, "that looks like it might be a pretty good place to play..."

Chester

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2003, 10:03:27 PM »
Ponkapoag in Canton, Mass., now famous the golf world over after Rick Reilly based "Missing Links" on a fictional version of it but always well known around Greater Boston for being a great old Ross design in desperate need of some TLC. There aren't any concrete drainage ditches running through the course, as one did through Reilly's Ponkachoag (sp?), but the real Ponky was and remains well and truly dumpy — yet we all begged our parents to drive us there during the late '70s. We were 11 and 12 years old and lived 20 miles away but something made it our venue of choice. At that early stage we were clueless about Donald Ross, of course. All we knew was the undeniable fun and challenge Ponky served up.

Paul Richards

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2003, 10:14:52 PM »
My first favorite golf course was Beverly CC.

As a 15-year-old caddy, it was the first private course I ever stepped foot on - in fact, it was the first golf course I ever stepped foot on!

To this day, it has remained my "favorite."
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Bill Weber

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2003, 05:39:52 AM »
1958 Westover Air Force Base Chicopee, Mass.
For GI's $5.00/Mo. unlimited golf and officers didn't get any preferances as to starting times. Never seemed to have many players.
Beautifully conditioned tree lined and long it spoiled me.
Went back about 5 years ago and it is now a muni. Still fun but tree choked and scratchy.

T_MacWood

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2003, 06:40:04 AM »
DavidW and LouD
Groveport is still around. Its a Jack Kidwell design.

mike_malone

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2003, 09:21:41 AM »
 The Louviers course of DuPont CC.This was the first course i played that had significant elevation changes.When i hit sharply downhill to the first hole i realized this is fun golf.Then when i hit sharply uphill to the fourth hole i fell in love with the uncertainty that these changes bring to the game.
   Now i belong to a club that is a stretched out and more challenging version of that course i played at thirteen.
AKA Mayday

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2003, 09:23:29 AM »
Dan Herrmann,

About 3 years ago a good friend of mine (from Chicago) got married up in Buffalo and we went up for the wedding.  I got in a round the day after...at your beloved Sheridan Park!

I think you have described it to a tee...lost potential, but as muni's go it had some fairly interesting holes...don't remember a ton of it since it was the "day after" the wedding celebration, but we did have fun!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Jamie_Duffner

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2003, 10:52:06 AM »
Easy, Bethpage Black, first favorite and probably will never be unseated!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2003, 10:52:26 AM by Jamie_Duffner »

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2003, 11:35:38 AM »
Mayday,

Great choice!   ;)  That first hole is still awkward, with the location of the dogleg.  You mention the uphill shot at the 4th.  Do you mean the straight uphill 3rd, the short par 4?  The 4th is a downhill tee shot, then an uphill 2nd from a downhill, sidehill lie to a green perched on the edge - scary!

I think my first fave was the Circle H par 3 course in Beaver Dams, NY, better known as "Hatch's", after the first owner/self architect, Pete Hatch (hence the 'H').  The course I basically learned on as a wee lad, with 9 holes all measuring from 65 to 145 long, totaling 900 yards, with no sand.  Started with my sawed-off clubs (3 or 4) for several years, toting them around twice.  The best part was after the round, where they had an old-fashioned soda machine (glass bottles), where you open the door and pull out the sodas laying on their sides.  The only choice ever made was Cherry Crush, the best soft drink ever made.

The other great feature was the Hole-in-One wall, with small plaques for all of the holes-in-one.  My dad had a hole-in-one with me once, I witnessed it but he couldn't see it over the ridge (I had started walking down on the side already), on the 85-yard 2nd.  Don't know if it ever made it to the wall.

The course was sold to someone else in the 20+ years since I was last there, to a family named the Russo's.  Of course, the name was changed to "Circle R Golf Course".

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2003, 11:39:40 AM »
Lots of Chicago courses....

I'll add one, Medinah 3, the first course I played, thanks to a next door neighbor who was a member.

After I got back to reality, the old version of "Old Orchard" in Mt. Prospect was my favorite public venue.  It featured back to back par 5's at 14 and 15, and a 230 yard par 3 finish hole.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

david h. carroll

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2003, 12:50:56 PM »
Scott--no way on the Cherry Crush!!  The best soda of all time is CHEERWINE!!

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2003, 01:04:25 PM »
Hey, I like Cheerwine a lot, too (made here in NC), and it is cherry flavored, but not as good as the long-since discontinued CC to me!  The makers of Crush come out with a new flavor and it's....strawberry?  Bring back Cherry!  Especially with all the new cherry-flavored sodas on the market....Wild Cherry Pepsi, MDew Red, Mr. Pibb Extra, Mello Yello has a red version, etc.

ksekulic

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2003, 01:07:05 PM »
Green Brook Country Club, got to play it every Monday as a kid, not the most difficult course, but a gret place to learn the game.

ksekulic

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2003, 01:07:36 PM »
Green Brook Country Club, got to play it every Monday as a kid, not the most difficult course, but a gret place to learn the game.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2003, 01:26:16 PM »
Jackson (Tennessee) CC.  Extreme pushed up greens.  Surprisingly little known about its architectural lineage but I have reason to believe Langford was involved since he did Chickasaw CC in Memphis around the same time.  

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

david h. carroll

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2003, 01:46:29 PM »
Scott--send a case of that Cheerwine up my way!!  You know, it was originally made in Salisbury!!

311style

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2003, 11:11:47 PM »
great topic--

my favorite golf course would have to be Tulleymore in Stanwood, MI. It's #25 on golf digests "Top 100 you can play" (I wasn't aware of that when I played it) but for only $50 in the off-season it was more than worth it. For a 2 year old designed by Jim Engh (I think thats how his last name is spelled) it was in wonderful shape. It's located right near St. Ives golf course which supposedly got a "5 star rating" at one time or another. I didn't get to play it but I'm sure it's great too. But anyway, Tulleymore was absolutely stunning. From a 7000 yard 146 slope from the tips I shot a cool 80 on the 35-37 par 72 layout. I was only 15 at the time and in fact, I still am, so obviously I havent gotten out much and I probably will find a more challenging and more bunker filled (Tulleymore has a total of like 25 bunkers) course that I like even more. But for now, until I get to play Whistling Straits and Arcadia Bluffs next summer as I plan to, Tulleymore remains at the top of my list for its beautiful views, challenging layout, and really good looking beverage girls  ;). haha

-Ross

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2003, 11:32:51 PM »
Shivas,

While I did play my first 18 at Medinah, I "came back to earth" and played many rounds at Rob Roy as a kid.  The all day rate for the old nine hole course was so good that when people asked my mom the name of a good babysitter, she would answer "Rob Roy."  

The third on the nine holer (the heart shaped green) provided my first birdie.....On the long 8th, my friend and I hit fairway wood seconds simultaneously, and the balls collided in mid air!  Since it happened so early in my golf career, for a long time, I half expected it would happen again!

Ken Killian combined the Rob Roy layouts to 18 in about 1983 or so, although it wasn't one of my projects.....

I only played the Old Orchard 18 on Sundays with my Dad or neighbor.  As I recall, it was shortened for condos before I left high shcool in 1974.  If you didn't see it before then, you missed a treat.  It was a solid golf course.

Best memory there was first time I made three consecutive birds....One day on the nine hole course they used to have, I smoked my first and last cigarette of my life.....

Now, those are memories!  I won't even tell you my fondest memory of Palatine Hills!
Strangely, I never set foot on the Rolling Green property.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Gyrogolf

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2003, 04:41:18 AM »
I was a spoiled lad to say the least. Every year my Dad would pack up the family and get adjoining rooms at the Lodge at Pebble Beach. I was all of 8 or 9 years old the first time.

It was a tournament called "The International Invitational," 18 at Spyglass on Saturday of Labor Day weekend and 18 at Pebble on Sunday, followed by a black tie dinner at the Beach Club. . . . . Best Ball, twosomes. Lots and lots of gambling. One of the great thrills of my life is the first year I played in it. A player had dropped out (they came from all over the country) and my Dad paid the entry so his 19 year-old son could play.

My partner turned out to be an elderly man named Bill Dipple who told me simply that he was in the coal business in West Virginia. Turned out he was worth about 100 million, although you would never know it from his old clubs and moth-eaten sweaters. His wife had lots of diamonds though.

Well, somehow, we won. The youngest player in the tournament paired with the oldest. People were a bit annoyed. I was too dumb to know how much money was at stake. You ram your putts at that age you know.

On the final day, I hit it 10 feet on #17 with the pin tucked on the left side. Bill put his hands on my shoulders as I was lining it up and said: "You are going to make this putt son, and when you do we are going to win."          

That was in 1979. Just before the time came for us to defend our title, Bill passed away. Every Labor Day I think of him. My partner for many years after Bill was Al Hansen, a rich farmer. We finished 2nd three times. I blew it once on the 17th hole. He died of cancer a few years ago. I think of him too.

The International used to be the high point of my year, but a group of sandbaggers ruined the tournament and its 30 year run ended in 1995 when everyone drifted away.    

The funny thing is that although Pebble Made an enormous impression on me as I got older, my fondest early memories in the game of golf are at Peter Hay.

For those unfamiliar, it is a delightful little 9-hole par-3 course adjacent to the first tee of Pebble Beach.

I would get up with my father and as soon as he grabbed his clubs to go tee off, I would go around and around and around and around and around until dinner time. Literally playing all day  by myself. It was serenity. I won the U.S. Open dozens of times out there.

All with plastic golf shoes, Faultless golf balls and my mom's old golf clubs.  

Sometimes, I wish I could get back to that place in my soul where playing golf at Peter Hay could give me happiness in its purest form. Maybe the difference is I've lost the ability to pretend and dream of greatness.

When you are a kid, there is nobody to tell you that you can't. But when you get older, the mirror doesn't lie . . . . even if you are playing at Pine Valley.  
« Last Edit: August 25, 2003, 01:58:59 PM by Gyrogolf »

Gyrogolf

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2003, 01:02:45 PM »
Guys, I hate to see this thread die because I got a kick out of the responses. Sorry, but I just posted this to get it back on the first page.

-Gib

THuckaby2

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2003, 01:13:38 PM »
Gyro:

a) you were spoiled rotten.   ;D
b) damn that was a great post!

Funny, I still dream all the time.  I just lost the Masters last week, missing a downhill, very slick putt on #18 at Poplar Creek.  Maybe being a kid is all in the mind... Yes, the mirror doesn't lie, but one's mind sure can.

TH

mike_malone

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2003, 01:26:05 PM »
 Scott
 I was speaking of the second shot to #4.#3 was an uphill teeshot---not as intimidating to me---but that second to #4---that was the first time i was afraid on a course.
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back