News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeremy Aisenberg

Just returning from a wonderful trip where we had the privilege of experiencing these four courses (for the first time).  Our journey began at Colorado Golf Club, with special thanks to Graham Cliff for getting us on.  Colorado GC was a very fun round.  Coore and Crenshaw did a very nice job of working the routing up and down the natural elevation change of the property, with the flow of holes, and routing in and out of the pines providing a great sense of variety as you make your way around the course.  The conditioning was excellent, playing firm and fast.  Strategically, lots of decisions to make, plenty of options in the air or on the ground.  A very fun experience!

Next up, was the 5 hour drive to Sand Hills for several days of golf at its finest.  Sand Hills Golf Club, unlike many of todays newer courses, lets the course do all the talking.  The clubhouse, cottages, Ben's Proch, and other amenities are simple and understated, and like the golf course, blend seamlessly into the surroundings.  As we arrived late at night, we could not contain our enthusiasm and ventured first thing in the morning on a walk up towards the golf course before being told that after a mile of walking, we were barely half way to Ben's Porch...we returned and grabbed some carts...

While i have read countless reviews on this site, none have truly captured the vastness of the Sand Hills area or the untouched feeling of the entire property.  The golf course simply looks like it was made by cutting the grass in positions where tee's, fairways and greens should be positioned (i know it essentially was, however, again, until witnessed first hand, i could not truly appreciate this).  It truly looks discovered, not built, and plays as brilliantly as anything contrived by the best of man or nature.  You cannot help yourself as you look around wondering where else tee's, greens and fairways could be positioned alongside natural blow-out bunkers, as evidenced from the routing Coore and Crenshaw did with over 100 possible holes that is posted in the clubhouse. We both rode in carts and walked separate rounds, and I must say that Sand Hills must be walked if possible as it allows a constant appreciation for ones surroundings and perfect flow of holes.  The landing areas off the tee were, for the most part, generous.  The greens require fairly strategic approach shots as missing on the wrong side can mean a tough up and down (4, 7, 11, 13, 15, 17) or a favorable bounce towards the hole (1, 3, 10, 16).  As Mike Brown, the starter and also coach of the Mullen Broncos said, the greens roll "fast enough" and keep you on your toes without being unmanageable.  I simply cannot imagine a golf experience that exceeds the natural, challenging, strategic, firm and fast experience that is Sand Hills.  Even Pine Valley seems more "constructed" than Sand Hills. While I did have high expectations for Sand Hills prior to my arrival, I can only say that they were exceeded.  This, to me, is as important a pilgrimage for a golfer as a trip to Augusta, The Old Course, Pine Valley or any of the other "classics".

Next up was the 3 hour drive to Ballyneal.  The contrast between Ballyneal and Sand Hills is fairly apparent, as the Ballyneal site almost seems like a moonscape compared to the more gentle rolling dunes of Sand Hills.  Ballyneal has some of the more interesting fairway and green contours I have ever played.  The green speeds were quite slow for us, which the caddies mentioned was caused by the healing from a recent damaging hail storm.  While i have played several of Tom Doak's courses including Pacific Dunes, Cape Kidnappers, Riverfront, Sebonack, and Atlantic City CC, these are the most dramatic contours i have seen on his courses.  The site appears to have more elevation change than all but Cape Kidnappers.  Ballyneal uniquely seems to grow on me the more i am removed from my visit (somewhat ironically in a similar fashion to Ballyhack)  It is a very fun course, with forgiving characteristics for my off-line shots and unforgiving "surprises" when one fails to consider the potential outcomes of an incomplete strategy when executing a shot.  As expected, fairways are firm and fast (though not quite as firm as Sand Hills).  I highly recommend getting to Ballyneal as i can't wait to get back!

Finally, our trip concluded back in Denver with a round at The Sanctuary.  A lot has also been written here about Sanctuary.  It was a good contrast to the exploration of modern golf course architectural trends as Sanctuary is more in line with traditional parkland courses, with softer conditions (helpful in holding shots from some of the extreme elevation changes), tree lined fairways and several forced carries.  The dramatic shot values from elevated tees make for amazing vistas including, of course, the first shot.  It is a very photogenic golf course.  The only question i would ask Engh is why the extreme "balloon" green on 8.  It just seemed very out of place with the rest of the course.  That said, the truly scenic surroundings, untouched by any close development, excellent design and shot values, lush impeccable conditions, and first class service all contribute to the Sanctuary's highly regarded status.

Time to re-write my top 25.

John_Conley

Jeremy, what a great trip.  I did that one too, 'cept it was 10 years ago and two of the courses hadn't been built yet.  You hit the nail on the head regarding the Sand Hills of Nebraska.  It's one of those things in life that you can't describe well enough to prepare anyone; they'll still be amazed.

I tell people it is the most remote place I've ever been.  Period.  Also, the terrain isn't earth-like so it felt like I was on the moon.  Not that I've ever been there.

Twenty years ago when the course was being prepped you can only imagine the thoughts of the Hookeronians.  "Yeah, sure.  Nobody ever comes to visit us."

Dan Herrmann

John - well said.  Another unexpected pleasure was the unforced friendliness of everybody in Hooker County, whether at Dismal River or Sand Hills.

Mac Plumart

Another unexpected pleasure was the unforced friendliness of everybody in Hooker County

Dan, I couldn't agree more.  It is a pleasure to interact with darn near everyone out there.  It is a magical place!!

Jeremy, I'd love to hear more about Colorado Golf Club.  How does it compare to other course in the area?  Other C&C designs?  I haven't played it, but I am interested to learn about it.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Kalen Braley

Another unexpected pleasure was the unforced friendliness of everybody in Hooker County

Dan, I couldn't agree more.  It is a pleasure to interact with darn near everyone out there.  It is a magical place!!

Mac,

Thats one way to interpret it I suppose.  ;)  I guess I'll just leave that pitch alone and take a pass on it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 08:17:21 PM by Kalen Braley »

Mark Saltzman

Dan, I couldn't agree more.  It is a pleasure to interact with darn near everyone out there.  It is a magical place!!

Jeremy, I'd love to hear more about Colorado Golf Club.  How does it compare to other course in the area?  Other C&C designs?  I haven't played it, but I am interested to learn about it.

Mac,

I'll try to give an answer.

My C&C experience is limited to:

Talking Stick - North
We-Ko-Pa - Saugaro
Sugarloaf Mountain
Kapalua - Plantation
Bandon Trails
Barton Creek - Crenshaw Cliffside
Sand Hills
Colorado GC

If I had to rank it on the list, Colorado would be somewhere in the 2-4 range competing with Trails and Kapalua but behind Sand Hills, though all of the C&C courses I have played I have really enjoyed.

My thoughts on the course:

This is one place that can truly play firm and fast.  Denver has had some tremendously bad weather of late, getting severe thunderstorms must afternoons.  Other courses I played in the area ranged from wet to soaked with balls plugging in the fairways and spinning on greens.  Not so at Colorado.  Balls still had to be played to land front edge of the green and they were rolling some in the fairway.  I can only imagine the creativity required to golf your ball around Colorado when it gets a drier spell.

There has been much (some?) debate about holes 11 and 14.  11 has been criticized because of the severe green contouring and the artificial look of the fronting pond.  I think the GCA crowd is probably right on that one.  The pond and hole, though pretty, are out-of-place.  I further question whether the top bowl is large enough to accept shots from 200+ yards when the greens are firm.  I will leave that to those that know the course better.  Also, the severity of the ridge running through that green I think will too drastically impact shots that only barely miss the bowl.  Hole 14, is something of a replica of 8 at Sand Hills.  It has the same green shape with a bunker in the middle and the fairway similarly slopes dramatically left to right with bunkers down the right.  C&C also added a bunker down the left (I don't like it).  Playing several shots and putts on the green I am fairly certain you cannot get a ball from one side of the boomerang to the other (as you can at SH).  OK you can penalize me for hitting the wrong part of the green on a short par 4, but does that mean I can take a divot out of the green to get close to the hole? 

The set of par 3s, in my mind, is very strong.  2 is a fanstastic short par 3 with very rounded edges of the green making the small putting surface tiny.  Even balls landed in the middle of the green but into a small ridge can easily spin/roll back off the green into a bunker.  6 is an exceptional long par 3.  The hole is long and open with an obvious slope from right to left with a very interesting and large mound that guards the green some 25 yards short.  Being forced to land the ball short of the green downwind, that bump will make for some really interesting bounces.  It makes a fairly simple hole a lot more interesting. 

Weak points?  There are a couple.  Holes 4 and 5 are basically the same hole, playing as 475+ yard par 4s in the same direction on the flattest piece of the property.  Some have said they did a great job with the flat spot but I nevertheless felt the holes were somewhat dull.  The split fairway par-5 16th may not have been done well.  I say "may" because I would have to play the course more times to know better.  The right fairway is the shorter but narrower route and leaves a more difficult angle of approach into the green.  I went right and next time I would go left.  I suspect in future I would always go left, but like I said, I would need to see the course a few more times.  I think split-fairways are a risk architecturally.  There is a fine line between interesting and goofy/useless.  I'm not sure where 16 falls.  Lastly, 18 left me feeling unsatisfied.  It is a brute of a hole, but of little strategic interest.     

Finally, the course is a great walk.  There are a few difficult stretches (8 and 9, and 18), but no doubt it was designed with the walker in mind. 

I do not think the course is comparable to SH or Ballyneal, but of the courses I played in Denver it was by far my favorite.

Mac Plumart

Thanks Mark...I couldn't ask for more.  Great post!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jeremy Aisenberg

Couldn't have said it much better re; CGC.  I have played Sand Hills, Bandon Trails, Dormie Club and Colorado Golf Club and would rank them in that order.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back