News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Lavallee

Re: Our Next Big Thing
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2011, 11:19:25 AM »
Congratulations to both Tom and Don. Just curious, why Don was asked to participate? Will he be on Renaissance's payroll from here on?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2011, 11:25:45 AM »
Congrats to Chris and Renaissance on the new partnership and course.

What's wrong with calling them the Dunes course and the River course at Dismal River Golf Club?

Wow, I just threw up in my mouth.  The name must fit on the first line of a Haiku.  The only reason five syllables are even allowed is so Golf Club can be in the name.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2011, 11:29:55 AM »
Congrats to Chris and Renaissance on the new partnership and course.

What's wrong with calling them the Dunes course and the River course at Dismal River Golf Club?

Wow, I just threw up in my mouth.  The name must fit on the first line of a Haiku.  The only reason five syllables are even allowed is so Golf Club can be in the name.

GC names should avoid prepositions. And "The" at the front is pretentious -- except, of course, in the case of The Old Course.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

PCCraig

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2011, 11:31:46 AM »
Who cares what they name it.
H.P.S.

George Freeman

« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2011, 11:31:59 AM »
This is fantastic news!  Congrats to everyone involved!!

Sometimes I have to pinch myself...  What an exciting time for gca enthusiasts!  The two Streamsong courses, the second Ballyneal course, the third course at the Priarie Club, the new par 3 course at Bandon, and now this!  Not to mention all the newly opened courses around the world (Old Mac, Lost Farm, Castle Stuart, Dormie Club, the Priarie Club courses, etc).  Throw in the renovation/restoration craze (Pinehurst #2, LACC, etc.) and it's hard to imagine a more exciting time.

So many places to see, so little time (and money)!  Sure makes sitting in the office difficult...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 11:34:00 AM by George Freeman »
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2011, 11:32:38 AM »
I wasn't suggesting it be used in long form or with "the". Simply pointing out that "Dunes" and "River" work well together and that it shouldn't take a long time or be over thought.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Shane Wright

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2011, 11:34:45 AM »

I wasn't on the recent trip to Dismal, but have spent some time in the Sand Hills region and grew up in Kansas....I'm not sure if it fits for this course as I haven't seen it yet, but I have always thought "High Plains" had some potential to be a name of a course in this region of the country.....What a fun project this will be to follow!  Congrats to all parties involved.

The Sand Hills region is truly magical.
[/quote]

Are you proposing "High Plains" and "Low River" Shane?
[/quote]

IMHO, Dismal River is a great name and doesn't need to be changed.  Without seeing the site and knowing enough of the history, I can't say for sure, but at first stab, I like High Plains.  :)  

Dan Kelly

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2011, 11:41:45 AM »
This is fantastic news!  Congrats to everyone involved!!

Sometimes I have to pinch myself...  What an exciting time for gca enthusiasts!  The two Streamsong courses, the second Ballyneal course, the third course at the Priarie Club, the new par 3 course at Bandon, and now this!  Not to mention all the newly opened courses around the world (Old Mac, Lost Farm, Castle Stuart, Dormie Club, the Priarie Club courses, etc).  Throw in the renovation/restoration craze (Pinehurst #2, LACC, etc.) and it's hard to imagine a more exciting time.

So many places to see, so little time (and money)!  Sure makes sitting in the office difficult...

Yes, from beginning to end.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

George Pazin

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2011, 11:53:54 AM »
Congratulations Tom, Don, Chris and Eric.  :)

1 & 2, North and South or Upper and Lower have worked well at other locations...
Cheers

I've always favored Old and New. :) Of those mentioned on the thread thus far, I like DD the best.

Congrats to everyone involved.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Michael George

« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2011, 11:57:43 AM »
Tom:

Sorry for being presumptious on my forecasts for the course.  However, it is easy to get excited with the great body of work that precedes you.  I had read recent online discussions re: the ranking of Winged Foot and MPCC, which got me thinking in this direction.  Even though I am from Akron and am loyal to my hometown (unlike Lebron), I am sure you are not going out on a limb re: Firestone.  Regardless, I am sure it will be a special course and accept my apologies.

Re: the names for the courses, the first approach could be to name it after the land in which the 2 courses lie.  It appears from my review of the land that the Nicklaus course is played out over the dunes more and the Renaissance course is played out over the river as a central feature.  Accordingly, the membership could name the Nicklaus course - the Dunes or Bluffs course and your course - the River course.

If the membership wanted to get more creative, they could name the courses after the history of the Sandhills region.  In my limited research, the region's first ranch headquarters was actually established by Buffalo Bill Cody.  Another famous inhabitant at times was the American Indian, Black Elk.  You could name one course the Buffalo course and one course the Black Elk course.  People would think it referred to the animals indegenous to the area, but it would have this secondary meaning.  Certainly not as safe as the first option, but a different idea.  

Thanks for your reply and putting up with Newbies like myself.  Good luck with the project.

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Mike Hendren

« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2011, 12:08:26 PM »
Perhaps the greatest statement since "Let there be light?"  Doak has taken architecture to an entirely new level by speaking a top 10 course into existence!

Big guitars, diamond rings.
Everybody's crazy 'bout the next big thing.

Just kidding you giddy girls.  Sincere congratulations all around.

Mike

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

George Freeman

« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2011, 12:16:20 PM »
Tom,

I know I'm not alone when I say that this golf course is going to be one of the most fun, most beautiful courses one could imagine. When I arrived last Friday, Mac and I took a tour with Chris about an hour and a half before sundown, with the bluff casting its long shadow across the final holes. What a magical setting - right out of Tolkien's Middle Earth. The holes across the road are definitely unlike any other in the region.

I hope you don't mind my posting a photo I took of the first par 3:

Another eye opening aspect to this place - the golf course we toured is already there! It's as if you guys are uncovering a golf course that was laid out a hundred years ago, sort of like Old Tom's Askernish. On our last night there we took one last ride around and it was so much fun seeing it a second time, this time knowing the holes and the routing. I swear the back ten reminds me of Pennard and I don't think it was just because of the cows!

It's going to be a lot of fun seeing it come to life over the next couple of years. Congratulations to everyone involved. Wish I could fly back out tomorrow.

Eric - thanks for the pic!  The land looks very cool.  If you have more pictures, can you post them?
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Eric Smith

« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2011, 12:19:22 PM »
I'd better not, George. Tom mentioned in his op that he'd like to post some photos this weekend so let's look forward to seeing those. They will be worth the wait.

As to the naming of the golf course, as a proud member, I like simplicity.  The Doak Course and the Nicklaus Course seem simple enough. Of course, I did spend a few years on staff at Palmetto Dunes and am used to that way of naming golf courses (by designer).  Can’t wait to see the Doak Course logo. :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 12:42:53 PM by Eric Smith »

Brad Isaacs

« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2011, 12:49:59 PM »
Wow,  in this economy another golf course. This is great.  This is best thing to happen to Dismal River. Can't wait to play it.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2011, 12:57:03 PM »
I'd better not, George. Tom mentioned in his op that he'd like to post some photos this weekend so let's look forward to seeing those. They will be worth the wait.

As to the naming of the golf course, as a proud member, I like simplicity.  The Doak Course and the Nicklaus Course seem simple enough. Of course, I did spend a few years on staff at Palmetto Dunes and am used to that way of naming golf courses (by designer).  Can’t wait to see the Doak Course logo. :)

Eric - I like your simple idea as well, it is very Doakable...er/...um...doable.  

Maybe the logo should be Tom in profile in a Chef's hat, with crossing fork and spoon!

Along with the Chef, Don M's secret service name is "Dirt".  Slawniks has been shortened to two from "ihavetobereadymywifeishavingababy", to "Digger" or "Hoo".  Iverson doesn't have one yet, so for the time being, his is "Nothing".

Brad - as unbelievable as this sounds, its almost playable today!

Exciting times!

JC Jones

« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2011, 01:12:09 PM »
Is there any way to make the picture of Eric Smith post-patron, the logo?  I like the idea of Big Red with his head down and his hand on his eyes.  I think that truly captures life at Dismal River.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Eric Smith

« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2011, 01:13:50 PM »
Is there any way to make the picture of Eric Smith post-patron, the logo?  I like the idea of Big Red with his head down and his hand on his eyes.  I think that truly captures life at Dismal River.

Sorry partner, that pic was taken at Ballyneal!

JC Jones

« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2011, 01:23:05 PM »

Sorry partner, that pic was taken at Ballyneal!

Disappointing.  My other suggestion was a double-cut pork chop.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2011, 01:25:53 PM »

JC - probably not - but I do plan to hang the pic at the bar at Dismal for every 5th Major going forward!  I like the pork chop idea...not bad!

Eric took some great pics of of the new course and I don't mind him sharing them with you.  Tom's routing is really that special.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2011, 01:49:38 PM »
Once Don gets settled in, I wonder if he is going to join in on the "Believer's Cup" and become the odds-on favorite to win the trophy?  ;D

Regarding the naming of the course process, those suggesting 'Dunes' forget there is already a Dunes, up the road. There is something elegantly simple in the "Nuzz's" comment about 1&2, although I'm not a fan of 'ratings'.  ;) ::)   I like Michael George's idea when he said:

If the membership wanted to get more creative, they could name the courses after the history of the Sandhills region.  In my limited research, the region's first ranch headquarters was actually established by Buffalo Bill Cody.  Another famous inhabitant at times was the American Indian, Black Elk.  You could name one course the Buffalo course and one course the Black Elk course.  People would think it referred to the animals indegenous to the area, but it would have this secondary meaning.  Certainly not as safe as the first option, but a different idea. 

I think there is something to be said for paying tribute to the area.  There are some serious sand hill regional historians and geographers, along with a storied number of old ranching families.  I'm not sure what the relationship is with the Haythorn's and other cattlemen in their views towards the burgeoning golf scene.  But, it seems to me that the sentimentality and respect that the iconic figure 'Old Tom' represented at SHGC has an enduring theme that the new comer golfers greatly want to pay respect to the old culture, while bringing their new fangled game of leisure to the hard scrabble life that was anything but leisure.  There is a lot of deep emotional stuff there, and one can go from the whimsical and light hearted, to the deep meanings of 'manifest destiny' and a pretty durn deep set of values and traditions. 

Being something of a wiseacre, I was wondering if a photo shopped copy of the classic painting by Gast, might include the shopping in of a golf cart above the choo choo train:

ah... maybe not...  ::)

Good luck all involved. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Chris Buie

« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2011, 02:10:15 PM »
Regarding the naming of the courses I think it may perhaps be a good idea to name them after some of the tribes that were there. Or maybe some of the words from their languages.  Using local words that have been around for centuries would give the course names a certain gravity.  Arapaho and Lakota are the names of a couple of the tribes that were there.  I definitely like the word Lakota as the name for one of the courses.
Well, something along those lines may be worth considering.  As I said, there must be some suitable words from the languages that would sound right and have some relevance. Yeah, looking into those languages and names is my suggestion - for what it's worth.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 02:24:40 PM by Chris Buie »

Jud_T

« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2011, 02:12:48 PM »
It's very interesting to me that Mr. Nicklaus is now part of the ownership group that approved the decision to hire Tom.  It shows a remarkable level of confidence and business acumen on his part...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JC Jones

« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2011, 02:14:31 PM »
My only other suggestion is that with two courses now, I highly recommend a well compensated on-site counsel.   ;D

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2011, 02:16:16 PM »
This is certainly an exciting project and will be a wonderful addition to the midwest golf landscape.

Regarding the naming of the courses, I do like names that pay homage to the history of the area:

Padouca
Comanche

Padouca were the Indian tribe that inhabited the Dismal River basin around 1675.  Comanche were the tribe that took over the area in the early 1700's.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2011, 02:19:08 PM »
My only other suggestion is that with two courses now, I highly recommend a well compensated on-site counsel.   ;D

For that to even be considered, said counsel must be a member of the club. 

Go ahead, punk...Make my day!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back