News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Johnston

Re: Our Next Big Thing
« Reply #275 on: August 02, 2011, 04:32:34 PM »
Mike - I agree but we won't be moving much dirt at all, maybe less than you could put in 10 two car garages.  Strange as it may sound, the land is already mostly shaped and all 18 holes are already there.  I think Tom mentioned previously, (my guess) 6-8 greens are already there, ready for final shaping.

Morgan - rakes and sand pros are in there somewhere between D5 and shovels.

D5 and telehandler are here.  Excavator in a day or so.  Crew arrives Sunday/Monday.

Will Lozier

« Reply #276 on: August 02, 2011, 07:01:40 PM »
#3 looks and sounds like a great reverse Redan candidate.  Not sure what the yardage is but it looks somewhere in the 180-210 range with what looks like that properly angled green - with a strong front left to back right slope like TD says - in addition to a back left depression?...this hole looks the part.  It seems a bit uphill which isn't totally typical but who wants typical.  Think about it, stinging a long iron 30 yards left of the pin hoping that it takes the slope...and then making the trek up that hill wondering how close it might be?!  And if you bail out too much, i.e., double cross yourself to avoid the PIT, your in that shaven swale pitching down teh slope to that back right pin! 

John_Conley

« Reply #277 on: August 03, 2011, 11:42:00 AM »
Someone started a new thread on this course.  I guess because after a month it fell to the top of Page 2 in the Discussion Group.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #278 on: August 04, 2011, 07:29:13 AM »
John - that was my bad.

I was fortunate enough to take a John Deere Gator tour of the land.  I was blown away.  Every single hole has drama and uses the land exceptionally well.   

Some observations...
The 3rd hole immediately reminded me conceptually of Merion East #3, but with a gigantic bunker to the right of the green site.  Don't know if that will be a grass/sand bunker, but it may not matter, because it's SOOO cool.

The routing was great.  It crosses a road from what I'll call "the highlands" down to the area near Dismal River.  The river is backed by huge landforms that Chris called "big horseshoe" and "little horseshoe".  These provide stunning backdrops to shots played toward them.   

The river itself is truly a riparian area.  Lots of wildlife down there.  And lots of great land for golf.

I was so impressed at how they seem to have "found" greensites.  Honestly, I doubt much land will need to be moved here.

----------------------
Combined with the existing Nicklaus course, I GUARANTEE you that Dismal River will provide a world-class experience to all lucky enough to visit.   VERY SPECIAL STUFF going on there.  Thank you Chris!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #279 on: August 06, 2011, 11:27:10 AM »
When is Ditka Doak going to be back out there?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #280 on: August 06, 2011, 12:44:11 PM »
I believe coach Doaktka will be back here the week beginning a week from Monday after refining his Haggis eating skills.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back