News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Best time of year to visit Bandon
« on: July 07, 2011, 11:57:27 AM »
A few years ago I traveled to Bandon in mid-June and had terrific weather and tons of daylight.  I'm now thinking about a return trip, perhaps after the par 3 course is finished.  Without taking into account price differences, what is the best time to visit Bandon?  July, which seems to be the driest month?  August, which seems slightly warmer but still relatively dry?  Or are those months so busy that June and September are better bets? 

Jim Nelson

Re: Best time of year to visit Bandon
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 12:06:40 PM »
A few years ago I traveled to Bandon in mid-June and had terrific weather and tons of daylight.  I'm now thinking about a return trip, perhaps after the par 3 course is finished.  Without taking into account price differences, what is the best time to visit Bandon?  July, which seems to be the driest month?  August, which seems slightly warmer but still relatively dry?  Or are those months so busy that June and September are better bets? 
I almost hate to say this, but then, Bandon is pretty much booked up anyway.  Our group has almost always traveled there in September when the courses in Vegas are closed for overseeding.  Our weather has always been pretty goo.  You can get any weather there at any time of year, but in general, the West Coast has its best golfing weather in September and October.  Winds are down, fog is absent and the rains have not yet begun.  Of course, it never rains in San Francisco in June either, right?

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day.  E. B. White

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 12:14:13 PM »
I almost hate to say this, but then, Bandon is pretty much booked up anyway.  Our group has almost always traveled there in September when the courses in Vegas are closed for overseeding.  Our weather has always been pretty goo.  You can get any weather there at any time of year, but in general, the West Coast has its best golfing weather in September and October.  Winds are down, fog is absent and the rains have not yet begun.  Of course, it never rains in San Francisco in June either, right?

It may not rain in San fran much during June or the summer months, but the summer is the worst time to be there.  The fog is an almost daily occurrence and makes for bone chilling temperatures.

However, If you can catch it one on of the offshore flow weather days, it is indeed a glorious place to be!!

Will MacEwen

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 12:18:32 PM »
I've been in November,  February, March and April and always had pretty good weather.

At KP this March we had a few drops of rain and a 5 minute hail squall but otherwise it was quite comfortable.

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 12:22:54 PM »
to me i'd rather play in wind than rain.  one can also schedule the oceanside courses for early rounds and the inland tracks for afternoons to minimize the chances of brutal wind...June/July is the ticket IMO. 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jim Nelson

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 12:23:22 PM »

It may not rain in San fran much during June or the summer months, but the summer is the worst time to be there.  The fog is an almost daily occurrence and makes for bone chilling temperatures.

However, If you can catch it one on of the offshore flow weather days, it is indeed a glorious place to be!!

My comment about SF and the whole of NoCal is that, as much as we try to predict the weather, Mother Nature gets the best of us.  My daughter was married this year over Memorial Day weekend and I swore up and down that it never rains in SF at the end of May.  Yep, it rained and June turned out to be the wettest June in history.  But you are right.  Fog, fog and more fog.  Heavy damp air with shots that go nowhere.  Again, September and October are glorious.  Usually.
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day.  E. B. White

Tim Pitner

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 12:25:17 PM »
Carl,

I've only visited at peak times, June - Sept.  There are weather patterns of course, but it's still such a crapshoot.  I remember consulting historical weather data and determining that Sept was the best time to visit because the temps were still warm, it had less wind than in July and Aug and it remained dry.  It poured for two full days during our Sept trip.  A subsequent trip in June (when it is supposed to be wetter than in Sept) was perfect.  

One factor is whether you want to play Sheep Ranch--it was open in early June but I believe it closes for the summer.  

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 12:27:19 PM »

My comment about SF and the whole of NoCal is that, as much as we try to predict the weather, Mother Nature gets the best of us.  My daughter was married this year over Memorial Day weekend and I swore up and down that it never rains in SF at the end of May.  Yep, it rained and June turned out to be the wettest June in history.  But you are right.  Fog, fog and more fog.  Heavy damp air with shots that go nowhere.  Again, September and October are glorious.  Usually.

Jim,

Its also good to remember that the entire West Coast experienced a very odd and record setting wet spring.  We got deluged with rain all the way until Mid June here in Spokane.  Even the normally dry Northern Utah had a record spring and was still adding snow to the high mountain pack in mid June.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 12:51:34 PM »
I think the conditions are optimal in the early fall, after the summer winds die down a bit.  Late September, early October are really good and not as crowded, although the days aren't as "long" then.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 02:24:56 PM »
I've been in November,  February, March and April and always had pretty good weather.

At KP this March we had a few drops of rain and a 5 minute hail squall but otherwise it was quite comfortable.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D   And you in your short sleeves!

Ryan Kelly

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
I went over the first weekend in October last year and had great weather.  Most of us wore shorts and windbreakers everyday.  We played 36, 36, 36 and we got everything in, but like Terry said the light does start to become an issue if you want to play 36 at that  time of year.  We basically had to rush to the first tee of the 2nd round.  Not a problem if you don't mind eating on the run.  We are going back again this year but over the first week in September because the weekend we wanted was completely sold out.  Book it early for the fall!

Ted Cahill

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
I actually like going in December- March.  I live in NorCal- so I have the geographic benefit of being able to hop in the car when we get a few day stretch of dry weather.  I like the down season (obviously the $$) Bandon is truly a bargain in winter- but also like the smaller crowds and the looper I like to take is usually available.  This last December I told myself to suck it up and accept the rainy conditions- and found, with a good winter hat and the great rain gloves they have now, I acually enjoyed playing in the rain. 
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

astavrides

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 04:40:51 PM »

At KP this March we had a few drops of rain

What is the opposite of exaggeration?  mind you, it was always playable...

Trevor

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 05:28:54 PM »
Slightly OT: how often can you visit Bandon for a 3-4 day stretch and have a good chance (over 50%) of seeing both summer/winter prevailing winds?  I went in May and got to play both....it was very impressive how the courses play well in both directions (esp old mac)
"When expectations are low, they can be met"

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 06:09:02 PM »

This coming from someone who played in 50 degree weather with nothing more than a wife beater, golf shirt and toque!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Howard Riefs

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 06:33:36 PM »

Thinking about late March for a Bandon trip next year. Assuming that hail isn't the norm, how is the weather typically this time of year? 
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Sean Leary

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 06:36:17 PM »
The best weather days I have had have been in the winter and the worst in the summer. It is a crapshoot no matter when you go. But it REALLY sucks when you are there when it is crappy out and you are paying full freight.

astavrides

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 06:37:29 PM »

Thinking about late March for a Bandon trip next year. Assuming that hail isn't the norm, how is the weather typically this time of year? 

They had to call people in off the course a few days before we got there.  not sure exactly what is typical.  Search for previous Bandon threads or the Bandon king's putter thread from earlier this year.  

Howard Riefs

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 06:55:51 PM »

They had to call people in off the course a few days before we got there.  not sure exactly what is typical.  Search for previous Bandon threads or the Bandon king's putter thread from earlier this year.  

Thanks.  I'll give a look.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Brent Carlson

Re: Best time of year to visit Bandon New
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 01:04:38 AM »
I've been in November,  February, March and April and always had pretty good weather.

Howard, I'm sure you can have good weather at the end of March, but we went end of March '10, and it was challenging.  We're talking 40 degrees, constant rain and strong winds.  In fact, if we weren't at Bandon, we wouldn't have played.  However the last day of the trip at the Sheep Ranch was absolutely phenomenal.  Your best bet is late summer / early fall, but it's a crapshoot.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 12:17:07 AM by Brent Carlson »

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 01:11:56 AM »
Coming from Melbourne in Australia, I'm at Bandon from 18th - 23rd July. I'll let you know what it's like. I just hope the weather is better than what we have experienced for the last week.
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Howard Riefs

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 12:28:33 PM »

Howard, I'm sure you can have good weather at the end of March, but we did went end of March '10, and it was challenging.  We're talking 40 degrees, constant rain and strong winds.  In fact, if we weren't at Bandon, we wouldn't have played.  However the last day of the trip at the Sheep Ranch was absolutely phenomenal.  Your best bet is late summer / early fall, but it's a crapshoot.

Brent,

Many thanks for the insight. Given your and other's feedback, looks sensible to wait until late summer/fall for the weather. At least by then the new Preserve course will be open.

JLahrman

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 06:21:58 PM »
Slightly OT: how often can you visit Bandon for a 3-4 day stretch and have a good chance (over 50%) of seeing both summer/winter prevailing winds?  I went in May and got to play both....it was very impressive how the courses play well in both directions (esp old mac)

This to me would be ideal.  I was there in March with KPI and it was all winter wind, although apparently a day or two afterwards the summer winds showed up.  You say you got to play both in May.  So who knows when it would officially switch, but would be nice to try both.  Watching the Publinx last weekend, it was interesting to see the OM play with the wind in the exact opposite direction.

Ben Voelker

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 07:20:46 PM »
I had a day-long stopover July 1, the day of quarter and semi finals of the Public Links.  I'm sure it wasn't a typical day because of the tournament, but I went out in the second group of the day on PD.  We were a twoball and the group in front was a twoball and we took a leisurely 4 hours.  The best experience was being able to stop at 15 green after my playing partner and I both missed the green right and couldn't figure out the chip.  We spent 10-15 minutes hitting everything from fairway metal to SW to putter trying to figure out the best way to attack the slope, it was great fun and we didn't hold anyone up.

I went over to BT and played as a single at 2:00PM in 2.5 hours and finished with 18 at BD as a single in 2.5 hours.  I didn't wait on a soul in either round and was done by 7:30PM with 54 holes.

We had perfect weather all day, a bit windy in the afternoon, but that seems like part of the package.  My only regret is that I didn't get OM in, but then again, I only had one day anyway and enjoyed myself immensely.  The moral of my story is, don't disregard going next time there is an event because it seemed to keep everyone away.

William_G

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 07:52:02 PM »
I live in Eugene, Oregon and go to Bandon at least once a month, and have been going there regularly since 2004.

Sometimes, it's not what time of year to go for calm weather, but time of day, especially in summer.

This year, January was awesome, shorter days, but absolutely great weather.

This year the spring was the wettest in memory as was the the fall of 2010.

However, "the secret to Bandon is that it is built on sand". It is always playable except when you have snow that stays, or in a tournament where the rules dictate fairness for all.

The weather forecast can be irrelevant in Bandon, but if you are not there to witness it, then you were not there.

Plan for the worst, and hope for the best.

Personally, I like the early summer with long days of easy an 36 holes.

For playing into or against the wind, I like to use percentages for distance, like today at Turtle Bay, it was a 25% wind for distance, add 25% distance into and subtract 25% with it.

Thanks
It's all about the golf!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back