News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Re: Cabot Links -- Setting the Standard?
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 04:52:01 PM »
RJ Daley: I am just taken aback by the idea of a golf course unfinished setting standards when there are courses in Canada alone that have firmly proven to be great over many many decades...one in particular not very far from Cabot.

I am sure Cabot will be a good if not great golf course and I would gush about it all the same if I were in Robert's shoes. As I said, I was not trying to be critical it was simply a situation in which Robert's point spurred what I believed to be an important point about standards.

Standards are indeed important, but I think you are inferring far more than Robert ever stated. Standards should include a careful examination of what one said, not what one thinks one said.

Hopefully Robert will forgive me for extracting something from his link, but:

The Final Tally: The holes I played at Cabot were big on strategy and options and captured the essence of what a modern links is about. This wasn’t a perfect site, and the shaping by Whitman and his team is excellent. It will likely fool many who think the site reflects the actual landscape that was there when the designer first toured the site – and that’s a big compliment. Though I didn’t get a chance to play it all, I’d argue that the stretch along the ocean is rivalled in Canada only by Highlands Links when it comes to drama, excitement, strategy and fun. Holes 14 through 16 might represent the best run of golf in Canada. The final result will depend on the inland holes. If they are similarly excellent, Cabot Links will be in very elite company indeed.

This is not nearly as over the top as you are inferring. Not nearly at all. Your criticism only applies to the title of this thread, not his actual article.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Robert Thompson

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 05:12:42 PM »
Really I meant for the title to bring about discussion. Is it the standard? Hell, I don't know and I've seen everything in Canada and a lot else where. The best were Pacific Dunes good -- and several of the others looked great. It appeared like a winner -- and if Highlands is the standard, and I'd argue it is in Canada, then some of Cabot's holes will be comparable -- and maybe even more dramatic.

But that's not saying it will be Top 100 or something -- too early on for that. But it has got a shot...
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

henrye

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 06:28:23 PM »
RT, I think most would be shocked if Cabot didn't make the top 100 in Canada.  I assume you're suggesting top 100 North America?  Haven't been there so it's hard for me to comment too much, but with the course's sponsorship & location I think the place sounds like it's going to be pretty unique.  I was actually surprised with how reserved you were, but I guess I can understand your reticence to go too far before the place is complete.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 07:57:23 PM »
I believe the journey Cabot takes the golfer on, with 18 holes with water views, heaving undulations on Tawny turf, will be one of the worlds best courses. People who value links golf will see it as a great fun test, while those who don't think about the Gca will be mesmerized by the natural beauty.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Robert Thompson

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2011, 08:00:55 PM »
Henry -- I think they have loftier ambitions than simply Top 100 within North America, but who can say with 10 holes in various stages of completion and three in rough shaping. Next summer we'll have a much better sense. I'll say it was great fun to play and some of our group played the five-hole loop four or five times and wanted to play more.

I don't want to come across as too effusive on a course like Cabot. Saying "this is Top 100 in the world," or "this is Top 10 in Canada," when the course hasn't even opened might be too much.

I've played all of Rod's work in Canada and this might be his best -- and I love Blackhawk and Sagebrush.

RT, I think most would be shocked if Cabot didn't make the top 100 in Canada.  I assume you're suggesting top 100 North America?  Haven't been there so it's hard for me to comment too much, but with the course's sponsorship & location I think the place sounds like it's going to be pretty unique.  I was actually surprised with how reserved you were, but I guess I can understand your reticence to go too far before the place is complete.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

henrye

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2011, 10:10:03 PM »
Thanks RT.  I now get that you meant world top 100, not N.A. or Canada.  Being that I don't think anyone believes Blackhawk or Sagebrush is near the world top 100, I think most would be surprised if Cabot didn't far exceed them in overall terms.  That may not be fair to Blackhawk or Sagebrush, neither of which I have ever even seen, but I've never heard either considered in that world top 100 category.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2011, 10:47:51 PM »
That may not be fair to Blackhawk or Sagebrush, neither of which I have ever even seen, but I've never heard either considered in that world top 100 category.

HenryE:  Blackhawk is not even on the ballot for the World Top 100, and the only person I know of who thinks it ought to be is somebody who worked on it.  Sagebrush is on the ballot; we'll see if it gets any support this fall. 

As for Cabot Links, who knows?  I thought Robert's piece spelled out the pros and cons clearly ... he was not that excited about the inland holes, just the seaside ones.  But the course IS near the ocean, and you get big points for that in the rankings.  I'm 4-for-4 [with a couple of home runs] at building a top 100 course on an oceanfront site, and 1-for-25 off the ocean.

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2011, 10:00:43 PM »
Having been there about 6 weeks ago I enjoyed Robert's take on it and he expressed views on the quality of the golf course itself far better than I could. I also thought his photos not only showed some of the details about the various holes but also - especially the one showing the bunker detail, with the beach and cliffside in the background - captured much of the natural beauty of the site. Top 100 - I have no idea. But man, is it gorgeous.

Jordan Caron

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2011, 02:01:31 AM »
Thanks for the photos Robert!  The course looks awesome and it seems to have some great inland holes that accompany the fantastic water holes.  That coastline looks amazing on holes 16 and 9.

No doubt Cabot is going to be strong and one of the best in the country.  The rural location, despite its beauty, seems odd to me though being that it's not a private club with a $100k + initiation fee or has plans for another course.  I do however trust Mike Keiser and his vision so I’m sure things will be fine.

I love my Canadian friends, and I haven't even met any of them. :)

I am off to the other new poster child for Canadian golf, Sagebrush, this weekend, so that will be interesting.

And to tie those two courses together, cudos should also go to our Jeff Mingay, who had had a major role in both.

I'll be up there in a couple weekends.  Going to watch the early rounds of the Canadian Open and visit Sagebrush for the first time on the Saturday.  A good friend who plays the Canadian Tour and who's opinion on golf courses I respect, said the Sagebrush was his #1 in Canada.  I'm pumped and would like to know your thoughts when you get back Dale!

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2011, 05:35:46 PM »
I just got home from my first Canadian golf trip. Rather a whirlwind three days - two rounds at Highland Links and 3 circuits of the ten holes open at Cabot. And a lot of driving. No doubt both courses are fabulous and Ian Andrew's work at Highland Links is really paying off. It's a unique place with it's own tempo, slower than I might normally like, but it works there. Cabot, unless something goes terribly wrong, is going to be top tier world class. In town like Silloth. On par with Barnbougle, if less spectacular. Imagine a whole course of the seaside holes at Lundin... The ten holes open are flawless, fun and exacting. I can't wait to get back and play the whole 18.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2011, 08:53:59 PM »
I just got home from my first Canadian golf trip. Rather a whirlwind three days - two rounds at Highland Links and 3 circuits of the ten holes open at Cabot. And a lot of driving. No doubt both courses are fabulous and Ian Andrew's work at Highland Links is really paying off. It's a unique place with it's own tempo, slower than I might normally like, but it works there. Cabot, unless something goes terribly wrong, is going to be top tier world class. In town like Silloth. On par with Barnbougle, if less spectacular. Imagine a whole course of the seaside holes at Lundin... The ten holes open are flawless, fun and exacting. I can't wait to get back and play the whole 18.

Did you have a gig in Inverness?   ;D

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2011, 10:00:45 PM »

Did you have a gig in Inverness?   ;D

Hamilton Urban Folk Festival.

Duncan Cheslett

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 02:24:07 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2011, 07:48:04 PM »
This is a comment about detail, but the picture showing the two greenside bunkers is very nice.  Beautiful bunkering.  The grass appears tucked in around the sand, like a puffy blanket tucked into a bed.

Just opened that review and really agree about the look of those lovely bunkers.   They look like they've been there forever. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back