News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Something is wrong, it does not make sense…..
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2011, 04:28:14 PM »
David

I don't know (rather I don't believe) that any of the early inland courses were great, but I think there were plenty moments of greatness - some of which would no longer be considered as such.  In a word, I think some great stuff exists right before our eyes, only we choose not to look or to get into the mindset of a archie from 1890.  We are trying use a set of criteria which only started to become validated in the 1920s and took more generations to become solidified for circumstances existing 120 years ago.  Greatness is a sliding and relative scale and it is largely determined by so-called experts, many of which don't know anymore than you and many other enthusiasts.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Niall C

Re: Something is wrong, it does not make sense…..
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2011, 12:39:15 PM »
I have a question for the DG; if the golden age guys thought that the earlier architects failed to reproduce the greatness of the classic courses, what exactly was the nature of that greatness ? I mean, what was it that was missing from these earlier guys work that was in TOC ?

Interested in anyones thoughts ?

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back