News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 06:38:02 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ronald Montesano

Re: A CUMBRIAN COUPLET: SEASCALE GC
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 06:53:48 AM »
A bull, a bridge and a bunker...those elements would bring me to Seascale...Strong like bull, great bridge after the par three and what looked like a bunker to the left of that purely-sited 16th green. It reminds me of the Ironwood thread that I am currently posting, with windmills (a renewable source) and a radio tower transplanted in place of the plant. My initial thought on 16 was that the green should be closer and lefter, on that shelf above the fallaway...I think I like it farther and lower, a second punch bowl setting.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 08:38:08 AM »
Another nice tour Sean, thanks.

Some really nice land movement and what have to be fun shots there.  6450 doesn't seem too short to me.

The 10th looks like a really cool hole, but in the photos at least it seems sort of out of character with the other holes. Does it feel that way playing the course?

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 09:29:20 AM »
Another nice tour Sean, thanks.

Some really nice land movement and what have to be fun shots there.  6450 doesn't seem too short to me.

The 10th looks like a really cool hole, but in the photos at least it seems sort of out of character with the other holes. Does it feel that way playing the course?

Tucky

Its not just the length.  The greens are generally too flat and slow for many people to get excited about the course.  It doesn't bother me so much because I can accept that wind evens things out and its a welcome break after fighting to reach the green not to have to worry about 4 putting. 

10 is out of character (so is 13) with the rest of the holes, but it is VERY good.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 12:44:50 PM »
I, too, love Seascale and, of course, Silloth. Good photos Sean, you know how to illustrate the points you are making. Sadly, I've never played Seascale in weather that permitted even a single photo. But the Lake District is the wettest part of England.

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 02:09:04 AM »
Mark

We were lucky.  The forecast was dubious at best, but we played in great weather with just enough breeze to keep things interesting.  I am surprised Seascale isn't more highly thought of.  Sure, its off the beaten track, but if one is playing Silloth he shouldn't miss Seascale. 

Ciao

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 02:28:13 PM »

From the moment I saw the looong and sinuous  18th green and the first perched high on the hill I thought we were in for some fun and Seascale didn’t disappoint.  Yes it’s remote but deserves to be much better known.  Not all world 100 but a fun course and there’s a number of course in the recent GB&I list that I’d choose it over.

Re the marvellous 10th.  Finegan concludes there is not strategy here.  Meaning, I think, you have to go for the plateau above the green the right hand fairway  just doesn’t offer enough reward. Maybe but
Miss that plateau left or long and you’re in big trouble and according to guys in the bar, downwind they do take their chances with the lower fairway.  A great hole.  I might have some more photos.

The Architects of Golf credits the original 9 as Willie Campbell, the additional 9 as George Lowe (of Lytham fame,- what a contrast) and revision by Guy Campbell.

Let the record show that on the great 10 and 16th holes, Mr Arble required just 3 shots each! ON 16 I was 30 yards past him and failed to make the green with a favourite 3R.   I looked into his bag and couldn’t see a mortar gun, but I had just seen a ball take off from semi rough and head skywards like a fighter jet, later found 10 feet from the pin.  Most impressive.

Mark I hope you give serious consideration to making next years BUDA, 2 days at Siloth and the final day a round at Seacale.   That will allow the pests to disperse in many different directions afterwards, with big smiles on their faces.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 04:39:59 PM »
Is this a true links course? Some of the holes appear to be on more agricultural land, but obviously it might have played a lot browner than it looks :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 03:43:19 AM »
Mark I hope you give serious consideration to making next years BUDA, 2 days at Siloth and the final day a round at Seacale.   That will allow the pests to disperse in many different directions afterwards, with big smiles on their faces.
Tony,

Current favourite for the 2nd course for next year's BUDA is Brampton, which I played last week for the first time.  Sadly I don't have any photos but Brampton has more than enough quirk for this crowd and, being up in the hills, offers something a bit different.  It also has a handful of seriously memorable holes.  Perhaps I should get to Seascale to compare and contrast before committing.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Niall C

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 02:09:23 PM »
Mark

Have you been to Carlisle yet ? Brampton is fun and has some really good holes although you do need to be fit, especially if you are playing more than one round. Carlisle is flatter but still with some good elevational changes, some cracking holes and overall a good bit better course.

Niall

Mark Pearce

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 04:01:50 PM »
Niall,

No, I haven't seen Carlisle yet.  Something about Brampton suggested to me that there was a lot of Braid intact and it was great fun.  If we do go there, I'd certainly suggest that we ignore GCA sensibilities and encourage those who might enjoy the round more in a buggy to use one, it is a stiff walk.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 05:53:47 PM »
Niall,

No, I haven't seen Carlisle yet.  Something about Brampton suggested to me that there was a lot of Braid intact and it was great fun.  If we do go there, I'd certainly suggest that we ignore GCA sensibilities and encourage those who might enjoy the round more in a buggy to use one, it is a stiff walk.

Mark I can't play from a buggy and therefore won't.  My back stiffens up. 

Still amazed at you suggesting it!
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 06:02:29 PM »
Tony,

You won't need to.  Nor will the majority.  What I am saying is that, because it's a harder walk than most UK courses of its generation, some BUDAites might enjoy the day more if they used a buggy.  I never took you for someone that wouldn't tolerate buggies for those that needed them.

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 02:12:21 AM »
Is this a true links course? Some of the holes appear to be on more agricultural land, but obviously it might have played a lot browner than it looks :)

Ulrich

Ulrich

I think Seascale is similar to Porthcawl.  The high holes are not really links, but play like links in the summer anyway.  The low holes are proper links and the contains many of the best holes. 

Mark

I know Seascale (and Silloth for that matter) strands some people out in the middle of nowhere some 2 hours from Lytham, but if these guys are at Silloth then Seascale should not be tossed aside so lightly.  The course is in the same league as Littlestone, albeit a very different style links and would hold its head up quite well for The Buda.

Ciao

Mark Pearce

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 03:58:20 AM »
Sean, Tony,

How long is the drive from Silloth to Seascale?  Google Maps has it over an hour, whilst Brampton is only 45 mins and Carlisle would be less. 

Sean,

One of the things that struck me very quickly playing Brampton is that it is exactly the sort of course you would love.  Some really bold use of some dramatic land and some real variety on a bunch of excellent short par 4s.  For what it's worth it also has some fantastic views.  Certainly the most exciting Braid course I've played for a while.  That said, if you think Seascale is in the same ball park as Littlestone then it does need seeing.

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 04:17:16 AM »
Mark

Seascale is more like 1:15 from Silloth unless one gets a very fine run.  If Seascale makes the grade it may be best to play it first as guys coming from Merseyside/Lancashire can get there alright and the general group is still heading for Scotland for those inclined to cross the wall to visit or live. 

Seascale has at least six terrific holes - maybe as many as 10 depending on one's preferences.  It highs certainly go higher than Littlestone because of the far more interesting terrain, but its few lows go lower than the efficiently designed Littlestone.  Mind you, Seascale is quite an efficient design as well as I would be surprised if the course is more than 115 acres.  Ye the course doesn't in the least feel cramped except for the 9 green, 10 & 11 tee area and I think this is a cool section of the course.  For sure I would pick Seascale over Littlestone.   

Ciao

Scott Warren

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 05:18:07 AM »
For what it's worth, I managed Ravenglass (south of Seascale) to Silloth - and the return journey - in a bit over an hour. I'd have estimated Seascale to Silloth at under an hour.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back