News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Absolutely a dream scenario, from an architectural perspective. The most exposed course and the most enclosed course at this resort will host simultaneous WAPL/APL championships next week.

Here is a link the USGA's official blurb on the topic:

http://www.usga.org/ChampEventArticle.aspx?id=2147497661

My suspicion is, Trails will be recognized for the masterpiece that it is.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

PCCraig

Excuse me if this has been explained before, but why are they using the courses that they are?
H.P.S.

Garland Bayley

Excuse me if this has been explained before, but why are they using the courses that they are?

Best guess is that since the USGA has used the other two before, they are trying these two on for size.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David_Tepper

And a tip of the cap to Mr. Keiser & the Bandon Resort for making these 2 courses available to the USGA for these events.

Ronald Montesano

Pat_Craig...is that said with trepidation, remorse or pure curiosity?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Kris Shreiner

David,
+1 !

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Scott Weersing

I am already looking forward to Golf Channel coverage on June 30. It will be fun to see where they put the hole on some of the holes at Old Mac.

PCCraig

Pat_Craig...is that said with trepidation, remorse or pure curiosity?

Just curious.
H.P.S.

Ronald Montesano

I would second the other guy, then, with the need to expose the four courses to championship play, to determine future amateur events. They now will have had a Curtis Cup, a WAPL, a MidAm and an APL. There is not doubt that Bandon could host a Women's Am and a Men's Am down the road. I think that the Men's Am would need to be on Old Mac, as the others tip out at 6700...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 06:13:07 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Terry Lavin

It seems to me that Old Macdonald and Bandon Trails are the best tournament courses of the four at the resort.  Trails is incredibly demanding off the tee and on the green.  An incredible examination of golf.  Old Macdonald just might be the longest course at the resort and you need length to challenge great amateur golfers these days.  When you throw in the unbelievable amount of hole locations on those vast greens, you can just imagine how challenging they can make Old Mac with the green setup.  The original Bandon Dunes course is probably too short and Pac Dunes probably is a bit too easy.  For them, that is.

As for Mike Keiser, I know him well.  He is an incredibly modest man, but I can tell you that there are very few people in the game more generous than Mike.  Hosting this event is just another manifestation of his matchless grace.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark Johnson

totally agrees.   Trails was my favorite course at the resort (was there before Old Mac was totally open.)

Steve Kline

Best guess is that since the USGA has used the other two before, they are trying these two on for size.

Bandon Trails was used in the 2007 Mid-Am qualifying rounds.

Steve Kline

I think that the Men's Am would need to be on Old Mac, as the others tip out at 6700...

That may be what they tip out on the card at but there are lots of other back tees. Just last week on Bandon Dunes I played the black tees. And, almost none of the tees were as far back as we played it in the 2007 Mid-Am.

Tom_Doak

Steve:

There are other places they could go back on Old Macdonald, too, but I doubt they are looking for more than 7,200 yards for the Public Links Championship.

I thought the format was extremely interesting ... both the men and the women will play one qualifying round on each course.  Then, they'll play the first round of matches on Old Macdonald; the second round at Bandon Trails; and the third and subsequent rounds at Old Macdonald.  It's an interesting way of finding a champion who can survive both courses, which place very different demands on the golfer.  I don't know who came up with that idea, but it was someone at the USGA, not someone at the resort.

Ronald Montesano

I'm glad that was elaborated...is the format listed on the PubLinks sites? I could not find it, after more than a cursory search. It is a unique way for two unique events to be simultaneously decided.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ian_L

Steve:

There are other places they could go back on Old Macdonald, too, but I doubt they are looking for more than 7,200 yards for the Public Links Championship.

Tom,

Not to get too caught up on yardage, but an intern at Bandon told me recently that all the courses can be extended to 7,500 yards, which surprised me (especially Pacific and Trails).  Any idea where your courses could top out?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back