News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jamie Van Gisbergen

Re: Where else in D.C. can the USGA hold an open?
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 10:49:18 PM »
Brian Ross has it right.

Jonathan, the USGA isn't going to a TPC course in your lifetime.

Patrick I'm fairly certain that the USGA will not take any championship to a course named TPC, PGA or something resembling that in any of our lifetimes.

Ted Cahill

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011, 10:49:29 PM »
Ted what about Pinehurst #2? That place can provide more than enough to test the best.

Back to a course in DC, RTJ Golf Club would be a decent place to have the event, as good as any other option, that has been mentioned all ready I think. But like I said before, you're really running thin on options in the area. There just isn't much elite level golf around the DC area, sadly.

Thanks Jaime, of course Pinehurst #2.  I'd like to see it go to the Mountain West (Denver) occasionally as well- I don't see the Open returning to Bethpage (nice idea, but lousy result) and I would be suprised to see it back at Congressional for some time.  The long absense from Rivera needs to be corrected- I don't see it going to Riv in 2020, a year after Pebble Beach- but no later than 2021 please.
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

Jamie Van Gisbergen

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 11:05:39 PM »
Ted I would wonder how well they could get a course set up by mid-June in Colorado. I honestly don't know, but I've played in Tahoe, Wyoming and Utah in late May-early June and the conditions weren't the best. I think it was May 13th this year that I played Edgewood Tahoe and it was decent, but not in stellar shape that's for sure. I just wonder if that would be a problem. And given the elevation, the course would have to be like 8200 equal the length of Congressional this year. I mean, I hit Driver-7 iron on the green on #18 at Edgewood, and that hole is like 575 from the back tees, with soft fairways. So, truth is, at elevation like that, 575 yards is EASILY a par 4 for tour guys. I have to think that possible conditioning and lack of playing yardage is why no Open has been back there for a long time.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 11:15:19 PM »
Article in today's Washington Post speculating on a return to Congressional in fifteen years with positive comments from USGA leadership. It will be the 250th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence and the US Open in Washington would play well with the masses.

I personally don't think this should be a factor in the site selection but I can understand the marketing logic.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 11:16:16 PM »
I don't think the Open has to have a site in DC, I think the event should be played at the best courses with the most reasonable logistics but I have an interesting thought, it's a though I lean towards not caring for but interesting anyway. It's "THE UNITED STATES OPEN" and "THE UNITED STATES GOLF ASSOCIATION," what about a facility built by the USGA to host the Open every several years. If they were smart and made it a public course at a reasonable price point a National Golf Club could be a huge hit.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2011, 11:16:46 PM »
Article in today's Washington Post speculating on a return to Congressional in fifteen years with positive comments from USGA leadership. It will be the 250th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence and the US Open in Washington would play well with the masses.

I personally don't think this should be a factor in the site selection but I can understand the marketing logic.

Then maybe they should play that year in Philly.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2011, 11:27:14 PM »

I concur completely. The 1976 US Open was played in Atlanta.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2011, 11:29:26 PM »

I concur completely. The 1976 US Open was played in Atlanta.

It was the USGA's way of saying, "My Bad" for that whole Sherman incident.

Paul Carey

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2011, 07:58:53 AM »
There is nowhere else in Maryland to host an Open.  Architecturally there are better places and there are a couple of places that are tough enough to challenge these guys but without the logistics or the local infrastructue.

The problem is the weather.  It is hot and humid in June, it always is, and it will be impossible to meet the firm and fast conditions required for a great Open.  I would love to see a field of this quality play Congressional in late September here set up by Mike Davis.  We get about a month stretch when cool, dry weather makes this a great area to play golf.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2011, 04:29:10 PM »
Brian Ross has it right.

Jonathan, the USGA isn't going to a TPC course in your lifetime.

Patrick - I know that very well.  My comment was simply a response to Congo being too easy.  The adjacent TPC is much harder was all I was saying.

David Kelly

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2011, 04:38:51 PM »
Baltimore Country Club.  36 holes.  East Course is beautiful Tillinghast architecture with more land for "elasticity"....No Reeses Pieces.

Shhhhh.  Don't let the USGA get their hands on it.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back