News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Hyde

Who loves Congressional? Actually, who even likes it?
« on: June 15, 2011, 09:23:11 PM »
Maybe it's naive, but this course does not have any appeal for me. It just looks long and tight and full of trees and round bunkers. Is the only reason the US Open is here is because it's in the DC market? It what Winged Foot would be if it didn't have interesting greens or bunkers. The fly-bys (admittedly my only point of reference) makes this course appear like a series of holes mired in sameness. Oh...and way too many trees!!

Bill_McBride

Re: Who loves Congressional? Actually, who even likes it?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 10:09:03 PM »
I only played it once, 20 years ago, and agree 100%.  I only remember two holes,  old #17 and #18, one's now 18 and the other's gone.  My personal benchmark for the quality of a course is how many holes I can clearly remember. 

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 10:20:32 PM »
I'm not sure Congressional is a course one loves.  It is, however, very good.  I have played the course a number of times over its many incarnations.  I played it in state competition and for fun.  Unless you are extremely off line the trees really not not come into play that much and the greens are interesting.  They do not slope as much as they once did because of the speed of the greens.  The holes are not the same. There is great variation. I have not played all the way back though.  I couldn't.  I'm not nearly long enough.  The holes are interesting.  They doglegs and greensites make the course demanding and require thought to maneuver around the course.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Brent Carlson

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 10:43:18 PM »
Bill, good question.  For me where the Open is played has a great bearing on how interested I am in the tournament.  Courses like Pebble and Shinnecock make me want to watch more.  No offense to Congressional, as I'm sure it is a fine course, but it doesn't have the pop from the visual or architectural side.

Bill Hyde

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 10:45:13 PM »
I am just disappointed that we are being subjected to a US Open venue that has very little architectural interest, all in the name of being near a major metro area and "protecting par." Thank goodness the USGA is beginning to rediscover the charms of places like Merion and trying new venues like Chambers. This course should not be in the rota anymore IMHO.

David Camponi

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 11:14:06 PM »
Bill, please tell us ur vast experience in playing Congressional and why you don't even like it?

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 11:20:25 PM »
I am just disappointed that we are being subjected to a US Open venue that has very little architectural interest, all in the name of being near a major metro area and "protecting par." Thank goodness the USGA is beginning to rediscover the charms of places like Merion and trying new venues like Chambers. This course should not be in the rota anymore IMHO.

So, you have not played Congressional, or even walked the site, yet you can state that Congressional has "very little architectural interest."  Don't you feel at least a little embarrassed?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Matthew Rose

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 01:37:52 AM »
I really hate how it looks from the air. The skinny 10 yard wide slivers of fairway running up to the greens with stacks of 3-4 oval bunkers in a row on each side... it just looks terrible.

Rees' has to be one of the most un-aesthetically pleasing architects on the planet.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 03:12:45 AM »
Several years ago, during one of the Tiger AT&T events there, lots of players said how much they love the course. 

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 06:16:27 AM »
You wanna hear the pros comment more wait until they start playing across the street at TPC!  ;)

Bill Hyde

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 09:39:32 AM »

So, you have not played Congressional, or even walked the site, yet you can state that Congressional has "very little architectural interest."  Don't you feel at least a little embarrassed?

I think I said it might be a naive observation, and made the caveat that I had only seen it via flyovers on the site. So, with those two footnotes, I stated that the course doesn't look interesting to me. There's no doubt that cameras don't show everything, but what the cameras did show me was a course that - if it wasn't in DC, doesn't appear to be US Open worthy. The only things it has going for it are 1) history - keep in mind Venturi played a totally different course, and 2) it is long and narrow. Sorry, but that isn't enough to make me love or even like a course. Perhaps you've never levied judgement on a course you haven't seen in person, but I think a US Open venue deserves a bit of scrutiny.

JC Jones

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 09:53:12 AM »
My favorite thing about these threads is all of the strong opinions from those who have never played the course.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 10:00:18 AM »
It reminds me of the criticisms that come out every time the Open rolls around to Royal Birkdale. That one I have played and it's a fine course for my game and one hell of a fine Championship course for elite players. Yet the standard buzz around here is that it is too easy, too flat, doesn't utilize the dunes, doesn't live up to its potential, you can't discern the design philosophy of a single architect because it's been reworked so often, it's boring, yada, yada, yada.

OK so it's not Cypress Point, Pine Valley or Muirfield. By that standard Birkdale, Congressional and 99.9% of the other courses in the world are inferior. Doesn't mean it's not a course on which you can have a fun game and also hold a major championship with a worthy champion.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 10:01:20 AM »
Congressional is a big and beautiful course and the trees really don't affect the playing corridors that much.  You have to remember that it is a parkland course so there are lots of trees but they really aren't they heavily involved in playing strategy.  The course plays big and long but there isn't a whole lot of strategy involved and you don't see all the angles, etc. which you confront at a course like Shinnecock.  You won't see the quirky bounces but you might see a lucky or unfortunate break when a wayward tee shot is hit into the trees.  Length off the tee will help but a player who is not the longest but the straightest can also contend.  All and all I would say that the player who wins will be playing the best all around game which is what it is all about.  

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 10:04:51 AM »
I have never been to Congressional. The feedback I get on the course may encompass a wider universe of opinions from people whose opinions I respect than any other nationally recognized course so I am excited to see it in person this weekend.  From the photos and footage it strikes me that there is ample elevation change and other features that make the course very interesting.  Obviously it does not inspire the type of reaction that places like Pebble, SHGC or Oakmont might but that does not mean it is not a worthy open venue.
As with many of the well known parkland brutes, a course is capable of being a Great Test of Golf even if it is not (and maybe especially if it is not) in the small pantheon of courses that are considered Great for architectural and aesthetic reasons.

Sean Leary

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 10:21:08 AM »
If it ends up being a competitive championship with great drama, then it can be considered a worthy place to hold the US Open.

All parklands look the same on TV to me anyway.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 10:21:37 AM »
So far, I do not like the look of the architecture at Congressional.  However, Mike Davis, once again, proves to be a setup wizard.  I am psyched to see players deal with the shaven area on 16.  Furthermore, it looks like the mowing heights around the bunkers have been shortened significantly, meaning shots hit at a bunker will run into the bunker rather than remaining in the rough.  This should bring the 96 bunkers into play, and I'm guessing it will be especially effective with the fairway hazards.

The land looks cool, but the architecture, particularly the abhorrent Rees bunkering, looks thoroughly uninspiring.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 11:26:20 AM »
Bill,

It might depend upon which version of Congressional you're referencing.

Congressional may have been amongst the first courses to use a hybrid routing, borrowing holes from other course to form the Championship venue

It would be interesting to see a layover of the different versions of the course over the years, which would also show all of the alterations.

The last time I played Congressional I had a spectacular experience starting with my arrival at the front door to the back nine where I was under par from the back tees, but the highlight of my experience started at the front door with a gorgeous young blond tennis player who had decided to abandon underwear after playing tennis.  Short skirts and squatting to kiss a toddler revealed a aspect of Congressional I hadn't expected to see and started my Congressional experience off on an upbeat note.  Maybe I played so well because I was relaxed and not focused on golf ;D

Jud_T

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 11:34:26 AM »
A rare kilt-wearer sighting amongst the beltway bigshots?  8)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bill Hyde

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 11:42:43 AM »
Bill,

Congressional may have been amongst the first courses to use a hybrid routing, borrowing holes from other course to form the Championship venue

It would be interesting to see a layover of the different versions of the course over the years, which would also show all of the alterations.

The last time I played Congressional I had a spectacular experience starting with my arrival at the front door to the back nine where I was under par from the back tees, but the highlight of my experience started at the front door with a gorgeous young blond tennis player who had decided to abandon underwear after playing tennis.  Short skirts and squatting to kiss a toddler revealed a aspect of Congressional I hadn't expected to see and started my Congressional experience off on an upbeat note.  Maybe I played so well because I was relaxed and not focused on golf ;D

OK, I take it all back. I now think Congressional has merit ;)

Mark Johnson

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 11:49:53 AM »
I think it is a nice enough course, but too many similar holes and none that are really that interesting or signature.  (That said, I can name several other courses who have hosted an Open that I could say the same thing about -- Medinah, Olympia Fields, Champions, even Oakland Hills to an extent)

I've played it twice and it actually has a little more nuance that most people give it credit for.   The other course on the property is quite nice as well and some would argue a better course despite being much shorter.

I think it would be a nice venue for the PGA, but probably not the open.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 11:55:33 AM by Mark Johnson »

Terry Lavin

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 11:52:46 AM »
If it ends up being a competitive championship with great drama, then it can be considered a worthy place to hold the US Open.

I totally agree with the first statement.  After all, look at the experience at Torrey Pines.  A mutt of a course that held an unforgettable championship.

As for the second statement, I get your point, because the Scottish courses all look the same to me on TV too!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

George Pazin

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2011, 01:28:50 PM »

Does Augusta look the same? It's the only parkland course that really stands out to me, looks-wise (assuming one doesn't count Oakmont as parkland, obviously :)).

JC -

No one is passing final judgment, damning the course to an eternity in hell - it's just a discussion board, people shouldn't be afraid to voice opinions, informed or not.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Sean Leary

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2011, 01:36:59 PM »

Does Augusta look the same? It's the only parkland course that really stands out to me, looks-wise (assuming one doesn't count Oakmont as parkland, obviously :)).

JC -

No one is passing final judgment, damning the course to an eternity in hell - it's just a discussion board, people shouldn't be afraid to voice opinions, informed or not.

Hi George,

Augusta is the exception, for the obvious reasons. But on TV, Winged Foot, Medinah, Bellerive, Congressional etc and other courses I haven't played look similar.

Terry,

I agree with you on the links courses.

I don't watch tournament golf on TV for the architecture, in general, with a few exceptions.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 02:11:47 PM »
Bill,

Would Snead, Jack, Hogan, Arnie, etc, etc.....ever recall such a wickedly perverted story in public like this?   ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back